New security measures in place

brettredmayne

Any consensus on if a small penknife is ok? 

Normally take one as part of my essential camping kit, got a small cheap one that I wouldn't mind loosing. Would be nice to know the official policy though as I don't want any unnecessary hassle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Rolson-62494-10-1-Multi-Knife/B005ZP97U4

Edited by I am Jon

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, I am Jon said:

Any consensus on if a small pen knife is ok? 

I had mine (standard small pen knife) taken off me last year, can't think they're going to less restrictive this year.  Guess not everyone is going to be checked, but...

C.

7 minutes ago, I am Jon said:

Normally take one as part of my essential camping kit, got a small cheap one that I wouldn't mind loosing. Would be nice to know the official policy though as I don't want any unnecessary hassle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Rolson-62494-10-1-Multi-Knife/B005ZP97U4

Ive got an axe and a fuck off camping blade with me as per usual.

35 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Isn't that what some aim for though? Preferably with a minimal body count but a maximal security response - secures funding, creates jobs etc in a time when cuts are rife.

Agree with that. No doubt.

1 minute ago, I am Jon said:

It is perfectly legal to possess a penknife on ones person. Ffs. The nutter last night used a car. Is it OK if I bring my car? Normally take one as part of my essential transport kit. ;)

Ok folks, I'm in, and I was searched at Ped Gate A. All bags emptied (although my separate carrier bags inside got only a perfunctory pat), my chair, tent and rollmat were looked at but not unwrapped, and my small daybag was emptied. No comment on my Swiss Army knife or usual camping paraphernalia. About 5 mins just for me though, and the man in front was about 10 mins, very detailed. I can't see how they'll do the same level of search on every punter on Wednesday without there being hours and hours of queues, although of course I expect they'll have more than one security guard by then! 

3 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Ok folks, I'm in, and I was searched at Ped Gate A. All bags emptied (although my separate carrier bags inside got only a perfunctory pat), my chair, tent and rollmat were looked at but not unwrapped, and my small daybag was emptied. No comment on my Swiss Army knife or usual camping paraphernalia. About 5 mins just for me though, and the man in front was about 10 mins, very detailed. I can't see how they'll do the same level of search on every punter on Wednesday without there being hours and hours of queues, although of course I expect they'll have more than one security guard by then! 

Glad they're not unraveling tents as that would be a pain. What do you mean by looked at?

Really can't see how they will be doing anything much more than normal for the vast majority of people going through the gates. Those that do get pulled out of the queue will get searched more than previous years, and they will pull more people out of the queue than in previous years, but no way they can do anything even slightly along the lines of the kind of setup you'd have at an airport where everyone gets checked.

If they were doing an extra check on the majority of people then just spending an extra 30 seconds per person to get them through the gate and it becomes completely unworkable very, very quickly.

Most times I go though the search area, most of the tables are empty and there are almost no searches going on. I bet this time, it will be so that all search areas will be used and as soon as one becomes available, someone will be pulled on the queue. If all search tables are in use, then the queue progress as normal and people proceed to wrist banding 

19 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Did they search your 'person' or just bags?

They can't do that with everyone Wednesday surely, may as well write the entire day off

Edited by mufcok

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Yes, please. I'm trusting in @Woffy, at least, to do this. He can then compare and contrast with his Thursday night re-entry.

On it. 

I'll keep you all updated from 5am on Wednesday morning. 

Should be in the queue by then. 

My mate is arriving by car in the area at 4pm Tuesday with a view to get in the car parks, and the queue, as early as possible. 

So he's going to update me before I arrive. I'll then post those updates on here. 

NOTE:

We'll be in the East Car Parks. And entering via Gate B or C. 

I fucking hate Gate B, but he seems dead set on it. But I'll let you all now. 

If people want a new thread for all this - rather than here - let me know. 

20 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Did they search your 'person' or just bags?

They can't do that with everyone Wednesday surely, may as well write the entire day off

Nope, but some people were being patted. No women on duty is why I wasn't as it has to be same sex for pat downs.

48 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

so may as well not bother packing then? literally it takes long enough to get everything in my big pack at home, cant imagine trying to repack it in a hot field with the pressure of a line forming behind me.

Just a thought why dont they use xray scanners? Ive just got back from a family holiday at disney paris and obviously security is tight there as well, whenever your entering the disney compound (the parks and the disney village of shops, restaurateurs etc) there is a gate manned by security staff, any bag your carrying goes though an airport style scanner and you walk through a personal scanner also like that at an airport. 

These checkpoints are setup in little tents with 1 conveyer leading into a scanner and one personal scanner in each you have to walk through to get onto the site, they check everybody but being as its all done by scanners it doesnt take long at all, basically put your bag on the conveyer and walk through the personal scanner, your scanned as your bag, if nothing is found you go on your merry way, if you set off the scanner you get a patdown/going over with a handheld scanner (my belt set off the disney one once)

Why dont festivals like glastonbury employ a similar setup? would enable them to check bags with a lot quicker turnaround and also the benefit of being able to detect hidden weapons etc that a handheld search may miss. 

Edited by waterfalls212434

8 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Nope, but some people were being patted. No women on duty is why I wasn't as it has to be same sex for pat downs.

Cool. So from what you've seen expect bags to be emptied. Tents/sleeping bags etc to be 'looked at' and a quick pat down search?

Genuinely worried about this for Wednesday. If they keep heavily-laden people in exposed 30 degree heat for hours and hours (a large proportion getting pissed), they will need plenty of medical staff ready at the gates to deal with heat exhaustion, dehydration etc.

Edited by stopwn1981

1 minute ago, halfasausage said:

Just got a message from my friend, already on site and working for Oxfam. They are turning away any workers who don't have photo ID.

under these circumstances youd have to be a bit of an idiot to come with no photo id and expect to get on site, im fully expecting to have to show my passport as well as my ticket for instance so much so ill make sure its within arms reach.

2 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

under these circumstances youd have to be a bit of an idiot to come with no photo id and expect to get on site, im fully expecting to have to show my passport as well as my ticket for instance so much so ill make sure its within arms reach.

Exactly this

2 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

It's not the same thing. For public tickets, your face is your ID.

Oxfam (and as far as I'm aware, most other groups that supply staff) have always had a policy that you need to show ID to register on site, that's not a new thing.

I won't be taking any ID on Wednesday, as it won't be needed.