New security measures in place

brettredmayne

1 minute ago, MrZigster said:

...  I have it from a good source though (not false news at all) that if you know where to look it is still provided. ...

Where would you look though (and I say this as someone who has moved on to the softer campervan field option, so has no "vested interest").  I'm curious.

I will look this year.  (Unless beer is involved.  Then, I might not.)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

Where would you look though (and I say this as someone who has moved on to the softer campervan field option, so has no "vested interest").  I'm curious.

I will look this year.  (Unless beer is involved.  Then, I might not.)

I've heard tales that like days of yore, they still deposit piles of it at the edges of the most outlying campsites.

I mean, you still see camps with camp fires occasionally, right? Therefore, they must be getting firewood from somewhere. I can't believe they're bringing it with them. Therefore they must be either in the know, or they're all buying logs from that one weird stall in The Other field that sells logs and only logs.

We're getting off topic here.

1 minute ago, MrZigster said:

I've heard tales that like days of yore, they still deposit piles of it at the edges of the most outlying campsites. ...

It didn't seem that long ago either ...

I can still picture the piles.  I was aways too lazy, but it was fun to watch the piles "erode" as everyone attacked them.

I feel the need for a fire now.  If only I had an axe ...

Itll take a bit longer and searches may be more regular/through thats a given, theyve warned us and its expected, as for all this bollocks about civil unrest if people are kept lining up under the blazing hot sun dont be such bloody drama queens, glastonbury arent stupid, you think they want or would delibratly make people wait in conditions they would have high risk of heat/sunstroke etc like that? no exactly good publicity if people are dropping like flys while waiting, pretty sure if its clear the lines are going to be waiting this long under these conditions they will take steps to remedy that, giving out water, leading the lines under temporary gazebo type things etc rather then having them right out in the open etc etc.

You think this is their first ballgame? Anyone who starts kicking off in the lines will be giving a swift talking to by the majority I reckon, not exactly the vibe that would be welcome at the start of this fest, anyone starts kicking off in front of me id tell them to chill the fuck out. 

Edited by waterfalls212434

26 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The worry for me is that people stood about in queues are sitting ducks.

that could go for any group of people standing about for any reason anywhere, you cant live life afraid mate, thats how terrorism wins, I went to see iron maiden in cardiff the day after the manchester concert tragedy, obviously security was tight so the line outside the arena was long....and yes the events of the previous day did weigh on me a bit and it did cross my mind for a minute that itd be a good target in the 3/4 hour or so I was stood in a long line outside the arena with thousands of others but then I thought to myself.....so are people lining up to wait for a bus, or in mcdonalds etc you know?

I think a lot of these attacks are selected to happen at random in random places just because they dont want to attack somewhere where the security services are `ready` for it as that reduces the chance of success, look at the london/westminster bridge attacks for example, noone could have forseen that or prevented them as they were selected at total random, even the manchester concert, noone was expecting it, there was no terror alert or armed police on standby for it, im not saying it could never happen but these people are far less likly to attack somewhere where security is tight enough they would be thwarted before they even had a chance or they would be taken down pretty damn quickly by security services who are watching and waiting for something like that to happen.

Edited by waterfalls212434

5 minutes ago, 6t6o6m said:

And there's been another attack. Some people... 

Looking like a far right attack on Muslims. Wonder if we'll be hearing how white communities need to condemn this and do more to report racists... 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Looking like a far right attack on Muslims. Wonder if we'll be hearing how white communities need to condemn this and do more to report racists... 

I highly doubt it! The terrorist should have been shot though.

5 hours ago, MrZigster said:

But why shouldn't I take an axe? I am, after all, camping in a place that provides (or used to provide) firewood that is (was) of a size that needs (needed) chopping. (Now I know this is an outdated argument. Said axe was bought about 7/8 years ago and has never been unsheathed).

Do you think I should leave my Victorinox (Swiss army) pen knife at home as well? Also perfectly legal to carry for legitimate purposes. Such as going camping for five days.

I just think taking an axe to site is completely dull, considering what's going on. In the same way I have swapped my claw hammer for a mallet , to assist with tent pegs ;)

cmon use some sense 

4 hours ago, eastynh said:

The worry for me is that people stood about in queues are sitting ducks.

I just asumed that GF would use these dotted along the queue. They're cheap enough. And could be used for art installations in years to come. Provided this all settles down.

ibc-cube.gif

12 minutes ago, Buttonhead said:

Can the early arrivers post in here what the searching is like so us late arrivers know roughly how prepared we have to be?

Think of yourselves as Moses parting the red sea for us :P

computer graphics GIF

One part of me is absolutely shitting it about the dog situation/bringing stuff in, but then the more keyed up side knows that those dogs become near enough useless after about half an hour of sniffing stuff out, and you'd imagine they'd be going absolutely mental with the amount of stuff going through the gates. Basically, I'm worrying, but know I shouldn't be and that it's total luck of the draw if you get caught out.

Re: Dogs and stash. 

From what I've read and most of what people have said here. Dog training has to be rather specific to one scent/scent type - that's what I'm holding on to - even if that is not the case would the police really want to bring a dog that can smell both to Glastonbury?

Hypothetically speaking, can you imagine the outrage if the dogs were compelled towards someone with an 1/8th on them whilst a guy with a bomb walked in? Drug bust count being massive but they let an attack go down? I think the country could lose its shit. (Not saying that strictly bomb dogs would automatically eliminate any threat but if comparatively poor human noses can smell weed (but not explosives) surely it boggles the dog's mind if it has to pick between the two?)

I don't have much time for the police as a whole but even I think that'd be a level of cynicism that even they wouldn't show. The amount of additional money Glastonbury and the police would spend to get these mega two tone dogs on site would be the biggest exercise in finding out whether bears shit in the woods. Whether anyone official admits it there's a sort of unwritten anything passes as long as you're not blatantly obvious and disruptive about it. That's why we've all seen coppers speaking to people with lit joints at Glastonbury. Not to mention it could vastly hinder the amount of money the festival makes as well. I totally believe that Glastonbury would be willing to forgo profits to keep people safe but I don't believe that they'd forgo profits to create a half empty festival and an oppressive vibe. 

Like always, you could get caught with your stash, you make your own bed here. There could even be drug dogs there (I've personally never seen them onsite/in the queues) but you're more likely to be stopped for looking shift/worried/anxious about the dogs than the dogs themselves. I'd be highly surprised if drug bust figures were much different from previous years. 

47 minutes ago, Buttonhead said:

Can the early arrivers post in here what the searching is like so us late arrivers know roughly how prepared we have to be?

Think of yourselves as Moses parting the red sea for us :P

Yes, please. I'm trusting in @Woffy, at least, to do this. He can then compare and contrast with his Thursday night re-entry.

3 hours ago, mrfunk said:

I just think taking an axe to site is completely dull, considering what's going on. In the same way I have swapped my claw hammer for a mallet , to assist with tent pegs ;)

cmon use some sense 

What's really dull is oppressing everybody else's freedoms because of the actions of a few unstable nutters.

25 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

What's really dull is oppressing everybody else's freedoms because of the actions of a few unstable nutters.

Isn't that what some aim for though? Preferably with a minimal body count but a maximal security response - secures funding, creates jobs etc in a time when cuts are rife.