New security measures in place

brettredmayne

Just now, I feel like Pablo said:

see this is what puts me on edge. sniffer dogs sniffing for what? just for explosive material? 

Dogs are trained for EITHER bombs or drugs. You shouldn't have to worry about bomb dogs at all.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

It has to be one of two things. 

Its a scare tatic 

or 

they have intel on a planned attack. 

I think its scare tactics which leads me to believe it won't be as bad as we think. 

We had this exact conversation last night.  I said exactly the same thing, if it's not scare tactics then they have intel.  I work in an environment where I know how intel works.

If it is scare tactics then personally I think they have gone completely over the top and I don't really understand why, although obviously there is a huge amount of press hysteria to put everyone on edge.

I don't think they have intel either but the tactics being employed are incongruous with the situation, it's all gone a bit barmy.

4 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

We had this exact conversation last night.  I said exactly the same thing, if it's not scare tactics then they have intel.  I work in an environment where I know how intel works.

If it is scare tactics then personally I think they have gone completely over the top and I don't really understand why, although obviously there is a huge amount of press hysteria to put everyone on edge.

I don't think they have intel either but the tactics being employed are incongruous with the situation, it's all gone a bit barmy.

I think it'll continue to be a bit barmy until everyone is in. I definitely think they'll make an attempt to fully search every person 

4 minutes ago, fowls said:

Dogs are trained for EITHER bombs or drugs. You shouldn't have to worry about bomb dogs at all.

is that confirmed? as an insane person i have been constantly researching sniffer dogs and whether they are trained for both and i've not seen it definitively either way :/ 

but surely if they did bombs and drugs how would you know which was which? so they likely can't.  unless they alert differently? sitting down or barking etc. which is a possibility. 

4 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

If there was intel, it'd be cancelled surely? They'd have to tell booked artists and they'd pull out.

Must be scare tactics - but to be fair have they gone over the top, or is it our second-guessing and doom-mongering that's gone over the top? Think we've talked it up. 

1 hour ago, Slugworth said:

It has to be one of two things. 

Its a scare tatic 

or 

they have intel on a planned attack. 

I think its scare tactics which leads me to believe it won't be as bad as we think. 

Not sure it's either. If there were intelligence of a planned attack I suspect the festival would be postponed/called off.

"Scare tactic" suggests there's no threat and it's just being done to scare the punters - I'd say it's precautionary.

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I think it'll continue to be a bit barmy until everyone is in. I definitely think they'll make an attempt to fully search every person 

Then they'll have civil unrest on their hands. As said previously, kettling drinking people for hours in 30 degree heat will, at least, be a health hazard!

11 minutes ago, fowls said:

3 minutes ago, I feel like Pablo said:

is that confirmed? as an insane person i have been constantly researching sniffer dogs and whether they are trained for both and i've not seen it definitively either way :/ 

but surely if they did bombs and drugs how would you know which was which? so they likely can't.  unless they alert differently? sitting down or barking etc. which is a possibility. 

I watched a police programme the other night and the dogs on there were trained in drugs, money and explosives :unsure:

1 minute ago, OG said:

I watched a police programme the other night and the dogs on there were trained in drugs, money and explosives :unsure:

The MDP dogs are trained in a specific one. 

I also don't think the festival has any intel. The MDP have been stood down from Operation Temperer. 

5 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Then they'll have civil unrest on their hands. As said previously, kettling drinking people for hours in 30 degree heat will, at least, be a health hazard!

I normally get fucko'd overnight in the queue, but if people do it in 30 degree heat then that's just totally daft. 

8 minutes ago, I feel like Pablo said:

I'm sure you can imagine that it's not in the interest of the police to make it widely known what dogs can and can't detect, so I'd be loathe to believe anything you read on that subject.

1 hour kept waiting after gates open in blazing heat OK. 

2 hours - well alright, it's for everyones good isn't it. 

3 hours - can we get a move on pls. 

4 hours - people are getting edgy now

5 hours plus - authorities find themselves dealing with numerous public order offences. 

6 hours pls - people start heading to their cars and going home. One way system collapses.

7 hours or more - it's 1990 all over again. 

It's totally impractical to search everybody. It isn't possible with that many people with that much stuff.

Why bother patting somebody down if your not going to search their bags?

And given that the security services have had almost every attacker to date already on their radar doesn't it make more sense to use your manpower to focus rather than trying to work on the best part of 200,000 people.

And I'm deeply cynical about the state doing something intrusive "for my good".

Edited by maclauk
Typo

58 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

Not sure it's either. All large events had to implement safety measures after the Paris attack to combat terrorism. These safety measures were minimal last year but there nonetheless. They don't get a licence to host the event I don't think if they don't do this. I imagine the police will have told them they have to have these security measures in place if they want to host the event. 

Edited by MadScientist

2 minutes ago, maclauk said:

And given that the security services have had almost every attacker to date already on their radar doesn't it make more sense to use your manpower to focus rather than trying to work on the best part of 200,000 people.

And the two recent attacks in this country were out in the big wide open, not inside a ticketed event. Personally I think bomb sniffer dogs, extra police and security to watch out for suspect behaviour in the queue, more stringent checks of photos on tickets and physical means of protecting people in the queue are all acceptable additional measures. Long, laborious searches of everyone seem draconian and I'm not sure what they'll yield - seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Man you guys are whacko

saying they would cancel the festival on intel, the intel could be a uk festival is the target, that's why all festivals are now doing this, even 1000 person ones are expected to.

If we cancelled every uk festival then surely the terrorists win

chillout everyone its just a bag search

36 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Just take less shit.. End ov 

The amount is irrelevant. If you are in possession you are in possession. (Presuming you are talking about that) 

I'm sure we are all over-thinking things here. We are British after all ;)