New security measures in place

brettredmayne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also if you're driving it's probably better to go in first with only tents to get in quicker and then you can go through the re-admission queue with all your bags. The re-admission queue is usually non existent or very small on Wednesday. 

Just now, rpfranks said:

Also if you're driving it's probably better to go in first with only tents to get in quicker and then you can go through the re-admission queue with all your bags. The re-admission queue is usually non existent or very small on Wednesday. 

The searches will be just as strict at that queue, otherwise what's the point?

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Exactly. Can't work this one out. It's in the official email as well. Surely it's as broad as it's long. Unless their plan is really to let most lightly incumbered people in rather swiftly and just go to town on those with loads of stuff. This would have a secondary benefit of putting people off who bring half their worldly possessions.

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

If you just carry your tent and essentials, it means you won't be carrying as much while you're in the big queue.  

Doing the heavy load on re-entry should cut down on time spent standing around with all of your stuff on you.

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

The point is solely to look like they're addressing the problem. Like walking round the office clutching a sheaf of paper and frowning, so everyone thinks you're doing something important.

Just now, stopwn1981 said:

Exactly. Can't work this one out. It's in the official email as well. Surely it's as broad as it's long. Unless their plan is really to let most lightly incumbered people in rather swiftly and just go to town on those with loads of stuff. This would have a secondary benefit of putting people off who bring half their worldly possessions.

I haven't read the email in full but I was pretty sure they've said there will be two separate queues - one for people who have a lot (bags, trolleys etc) and another for people who have less stuff.

At the point of search if there are separate queues there's no point keeping everyone waiting together if some people just have a tent.

1 minute ago, Steel city camper said:

They mention if your beers are shrink wrapped they will slash them open , do we think they just mean if you've shrink wrapped them or the manufacturers shrink wrap which quite a few 20 can crates are done this way , if they where to open all my crates I'm stuck with 100 loose cans !

They just don't want people to shrink wrap their trolleys whatever's on them as they'll have to be opened regardless. They won't open individual crates that would be nuts

If they are adamant about searching everyone, surely the best idea would be to search people in the queues, they could start at the front and work their way back, then the entry shouldn't be any worse than normal.

I'm sure i'm going to get pulled twice, once on my way in (that bloke is on his own and only has a tent with him, looks a bit suspect!) and once again when i go back out for a 2nd run with all my stuff on a trolley.

I'd normally only do one big run, but have decided to get in and get settled then head out again wednesday night once it's quietened down.

On 6/7/2017 at 1:38 PM, Hugh Jass said:

My bet would be that they'll just take them off you and bin them.

This happened to...urm...a friend of mine before at a different event. They were still allowed in too :)

On 6/8/2017 at 10:20 AM, Flysheet said:

Different scent entirely. They've used bomb dogs at Download 

On 6/10/2017 at 8:27 AM, Flysheet said:

More on searching from Download, mate with a camper van

"Disappointingly low key. We were stopped in a holding area for a couple of minutes, engine off, and a bomb dog had a sniff around the outside of the van. No checks inside. Walking from the campsite into the arena it's just the usual brief check of any bags."

So, my friend doesn't have to worry about the dogs smelling any of her fun times, right?

I was thinking also about stuff like mirrors etc. I've always taken a mirror, and its never been a problem, but then i've never been searched. Do you think they would actually take such things off you if they came across one when rootling around in your bag? I'm inclined to think they are gonna be searching for certain items, and thus won't give a shit...but has anybody who has been searched before had such things taken off them?

8 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

This happened to...urm...a friend of mine before at a different event. They were still allowed in too :)

So, my friend doesn't have to worry about the dogs smelling any of her fun times, right?

I was thinking also about stuff like mirrors etc. I've always taken a mirror, and its never been a problem, but then i've never been searched. Do you think they would actually take such things off you if they came across one when rootling around in your bag? I'm inclined to think they are gonna be searching for certain items, and thus won't give a shit...but has anybody who has been searched before had such things taken off them?

I've seen people have mirrors / perfume taken off then if found when searched 

1 hour ago, Franky said:

I believe I said this on page one of this thread lol have an upvote. 

Yeah, but you didn't do it with the expansive and wonderfully camp hand gestures I did when I read it aloud, theatrically, back to myself. 

I feel that came across completely in my post. 

6 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I've seen people have mirrors / perfume taken off then if found when searched 

Not sure about mirrors but re: perfume/deodorant they generally say nothing over 100ml I think. I have seen those large cans spray binned before, and I remember something on the website FAQs about what to bring stating so also

Important to remember no glass and that does include perfume and aftershave. So maybe best to leave that at home with these supposed additional searches

I don't think it's as infeasible to search everyone as some people think.

Yes, you would need a lot of searches but that's just a matter of money and the space to host it in, of which the festival has a fair amount of both.

135000 punters, five minutes each makes it 11250 man hours, at £15 per hour is £168750 or like £1.50 of the ticket price, or a fraction of the excess normally given to charity.

The problem is you'd need to hire like 1000 people to do the searching, a couple of 100 at each gate... it's probably too ridiculous but it's not impossible.

Just now, DeanoL said:

I don't think it's as infeasible to search everyone as some people think.

Yes, you would need a lot of searches but that's just a matter of money and the space to host it in, of which the festival has a fair amount of both.

135000 punters, five minutes each makes it 11250 man hours, at £15 per hour is £168750 or like £1.50 of the ticket price, or a fraction of the excess normally given to charity.

The problem is you'd need to hire like 1000 people to do the searching, a couple of 100 at each gate... it's probably too ridiculous but it's not impossible.

it's not financially impossible but let's be honest the gates are not that big and if you had 200 people at each gate everyone would get in everyone's way. It would be far too counter productive having a couple of hundred people performing searches on everyone for it to actually be intuitive. 

1 minute ago, rpfranks said:

it's not financially impossible but let's be honest the gates are not that big and if you had 200 people at each gate everyone would get in everyone's way. It would be far too counter productive having a couple of hundred people performing searches on everyone for it to actually be intuitive. 

Could they have the searches further back in the fields anywhere and then filter people into the normal gates once they've been searched ?