brettredmayne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Dont know how true this is 

Screenshot_20170611-134847.png

The person who posted that has now said it came from someone working on site, rather than the festival itself, so I'll be taking it with a pinch of salt, unless there's an official announcement.

There's always been seperate trolley and bag queues at the gates. 

I'm not expecting full bag searches for everyone and 8 minutes a person is 8 an hour. Each gate only has about 10 lines so you're looking at an entry rate of 320 an hour across the site. That just isn't happening.

IoW and Download have heavy searching as it's less than 7 days since the london attack and the security services are still arresting people. Come Glasto, nearly 3 weeks later, I'd expect some easing of searches and some common sense to kick in that Glastonbury is not a high risk and practically speaking it's just not possible to search everyone.

11 minutes ago, Keithy said:

There's always been seperate trolley and bag queues at the gates. 

I'm not expecting full bag searches for everyone and 8 minutes a person is 8 an hour. Each gate only has about 10 lines so you're looking at an entry rate of 320 an hour across the site. That just isn't happening.

IoW and Download have heavy searching as it's less than 7 days since the london attack and the security services are still arresting people. Come Glasto, nearly 3 weeks later, I'd expect some easing of searches and some common sense to kick in that Glastonbury is not a high risk and practically speaking it's just not possible to search everyone.

Which equates to about 17 days of searches!

Having stayed at a Worthy View last few years and turning up first thing on Wednesday, most people have a bag search. They ask you if you've got anything you shouldn't, look for your reply and then a quick 20 second rummage through your bag followed by a frisk.  

This is as heavy as it can surely be for the vast majority of people coming through Pedestrian gates. Some poor sods will have to unpack everything no doubt. As alluded to above - 8 mins per person, would mean just throwing the towel in and not bothering.

Unless they can get 10x the staff and space to perform searches, I don't see them doing searches on everybody.  They may be more common and thorough but searching 100% just isn't feasible. 

Though anybody attempting to get in on a second hand ticket will have a hard time unless they look exactly like the photo!

Yes there will be more searches. But they're not going to change the ethos of the festival AND among other things, remove toilets from car parks.... just not going to happen. Slightly more delays getting in yes probably, a more notable security presence on the gates yes probably, more police on site? Potentially - every person and bag being searched / emptied head to toe: no not going to happen. People not having the same 'glastonbury' experience, not going to happen. I dare say the mud last year will prove to be a bigger disruption than this. A stern message before the festival is a) necessary to allay fears and b ) makes the festival's job easier on Wednesday if just 1 out of 10 people read too much into it. 

I think there's going to be a bit of a frisk for more people than usual but unfortunately they're going to have to do some profiling. It's just impossible to properly search everybody. Also since we know about the extra security most people are going to avoid bringing things that would be confiscated (like flares) or hide their drugs in places that won't be found anyways. 

I think usually with an attack like this there is a bit of chatter beforehand and if Glastonbury is at risk they'll know what to look for to at least try to stop it. The rest of the searching is likely a show so we feel safe. The last thing the festival wants if (God forbid) something does happen is all of us saying they didn't even check properly. 

So unfortunately the extra queue time is an unnecessary measure so that you feel safe. Can you really imagine them catching a guy with a bag of explosives at the gate? It's just not gunna happen. 

2 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I think usually with an attack like this there is a bit of chatter beforehand and if Glastonbury is at risk they'll know what to look for to at least try to stop it. The rest of the searching is likely a show so we feel safe. The last thing the festival wants if (God forbid) something does happen is all of us saying they didn't even check properly. 

So unfortunately the extra queue time is an unnecessary measure so that you feel safe. Can you really imagine them catching a guy with a bag of explosives at the gate? It's just not gunna happen. 

Exactly, it's not for anything other than to make sure they don't come in for criticism if something happens. It's simply to cover their arses. They just need to be seen to do something, anything, even though it's pretty redundant. 

6 minutes ago, Ohinever said:

Searches taking place off the highway. 

Still don't think they've the man power. There are a hell of a lot of cars at Glastonbury.  But I'm all for them checking cars. That would seem more sensible that spending 17 days checking everyone's person and all their bags!

They won't check every single person it will be literally impossible. 

More searches will take place that's for certain, but it will just be something like 1 in every 4 rather than 1 in every 10. I've never had my bag searched.

These kind of announcements always get made after terror attacks as it makes people pack less, it's seen as a deterrent and showing they're taking action puts people at ease.