New security measures in place

brettredmayne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Didn't really want to post it as I thought it was BS (I was told a few days back) but my mate reckons that they considered or are considering not allowing people on site until the Thursday. He works for a security company who have a contract with the Festival, and he has never been to Glasto and I highly doubt even knows it usually starts on a Weds, so might not be rubbish. Doesn't seem to make sense to me though.

No chance, as other have stated it would be a logistical nightmare to do so this late. People would still turn up on Tuesday and Wednesday and just clog up the surrounding area.

On 6/8/2017 at 0:52 PM, Penrhos said:

Watching the news last night the video shown on Midlands TV clearly showed the sniffer dog working the queue had a harness on clearly labelled "Explosive dog". 

As for lessening the impact - anyone coming by coach could have their luggage checked when they boarded so potentially be fast-tracked into the festival.

Knowing someone who works with Police dogs, they are different dogs, they train it to detect drugs or explosives or bodies. And they've only got a short operating time before they need a rest. 

Also make sure you read the notes on release's website on stop-n-search and sniffer dog use - if you are planning on taking something into any venue.

I was right pissed off when the people I'm going with booked the coach to arrive on site at 5am Wednesday - now it looks like it might be a great idea if it means we're somewhere near the front of this likely mega-queue.

That toilet queue at Download is fucking ridiculous though - how is that even possible? Do they have one single toilet there or something?

9 minutes ago, Divein said:

Mate just sent me similar about the toilet queues. Also said something about reusable cups and it's costing him 2 quid extra every time he goes to he bar or something 

They had a similar 'reusable cup' system when I went to see John Cale at Sound City not long ago. It didn't work, and meant if you wanted to buy multiple drinks at the same time you had to buy multiple reusable cups for £2 each. I get what they were trying to do but it was flawed from the get-go. Hope Glastonbury doesn't introduce a similar system (although feel like we would've been informed about it already if they were).

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

They had a similar 'reusable cup' system when I went to see John Cale at Sound City not long ago. It didn't work, and meant if you wanted to buy multiple drinks at the same time you had to buy multiple reusable cups for £2 each. I get what they were trying to do but it was flawed from the get-go. Hope Glastonbury doesn't introduce a similar system (although feel like we would've been informed about it already if they were).

They announced a reusable metal cup for £5 today/yesterday, didn't they? I doubt it's mandatory though. 

I've been to festivals where it's like that (Rock En Seine) and it worked quite well but we were a small group and together throughout so there wasn't much of a mega round deal to cope with. 

Edited by popcornmaster

No chance they're not letting people in on the Wednesday! What about us poor coach sods rocking up that day? Do we spend a night in the queue? 

I've been to festivals with a reusable cup system (Supernormal and Blue Dot) and it worked fine to be honest.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

More on searching from Download, mate with a camper van

"Disappointingly low key. We were stopped in a holding area for a couple of minutes, engine off, and a bomb dog had a sniff around the outside of the van. No checks inside. Walking from the campsite into the arena it's just the usual brief check of any bags."

10 hours ago, uscore said:

Maybe in a future year they can have it so only people arriving on the coach can come in on Wednesday. Would help to stagger entry, and to dissuade car use.

This would cause chaos on the Thursday and traders would lose a days takings

11 hours ago, uscore said:

Maybe in a future year they can have it so only people arriving on the coach can come in on Wednesday. Would help to stagger entry, and to dissuade car use.

Before you down vote me, I hope they don't actually do this. 

They'd need to set up multiple temporary coach stops at various gates to account for that. Logistical nightmare.

Edited by fowls

14 hours ago, Divein said:

Mate just sent me similar about the toilet queues. Also said something about reusable cups and it's costing him 2 quid extra every time he goes to he bar or something 

Surely it only cost him £2 extra the first time?  Isn't that the point of a reusable cup?

8 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

Festival goers queued for over two hours

At Glastonbury, people choose to do that.