New security measures in place

brettredmayne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

just had a report from our man at Download. 

He says Security is very thorough. Full bag search on everyone. Checking wristbands thoroughly and asking for photo id with press guests. 

He reckons it'll add 90 minutes to queues when its peak times.

90 mins is far less than I was expecting, to be fair.  I'd take that at Glasto if possible.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

He says Security is very thorough. Full bag search on everyone. Checking wristbands thoroughly and asking for photo id with press guests. 

90 mins isn't the end of the world I suppose.

As it's been said above IoW have historically been a bit policey - I don't think I've seen as many sniffers in all of the other festivals combined than there.

Especially with the extra fortnight I hope Glastonbury are even more prepared and can benefit from lessons learned from events this weekend - surely they must all share information, especially about these sorts of things?

3 hours ago, Smeble said:

Just had a 2 hr delay getting into the campervan fields at Isle of Wight festival, blaming security issue which, despite a very brief appearance from a sniffer dog, I think is just just an excuse for not being ready when they were supposed to be.

no searches of any kind of campervans but there is obviously a much larger police presence at the festival

Don't worry about the delays, there's nothing on at IOW until Saturday night anyway.

24 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Would 11am on Wednesday still count as a peak time?

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm assuming there are a lot more people first thing on a Wednesday at Glastonbury than at Download. If they do a full bag search on every Glasto customer without considerably more resources at the gate I'd be amazed if only 90mins extra (I'd take it though!).

Does anyone else think the registration process and how difficult it is to get tickets actually makes the festival safer, as it were - and less prone to an opportunistic attack compared to the likes to Download, IoW etc? Then there's the perimeter fencing too acting as another line of defence. As a few other people have pointed out, the weakest spots are probably outside the main site... Saying that I take no issue with bag searches for everyone.

Edited by 40 Days

I'm not worried about not feeling safe. There will enough going on in view and behind the scenes preventing anything on the scale of Manchester. 

The increased level of searching will also eliminate the chances of an attack similar to London

As long as we are chilled and relaxed with cider in hand the entry process will fly by. My biggest danger is getting the wiring of my outfit through security without causing them alarm. 

90 Minutes is better than the 4.79 days that was predicted earlier on here. Not ideal but they gotta do what they gotta do, can't be much worse than 13 hours on a coach, depends on the people round you though I guess to some degree. The big question now is whether its worth doing a long queue twice with less or just getting it all out of the way.

38 minutes ago, popcornmaster said:

If it helps I think my friends got there at like 7-8am Wednesday (As I understood it they planned to leave Liverpool about 4-5am). 

Having read through it looks like there's conflicting posts then. What we can glean from that is it'll be luck of the draw like it always is? You do what you have to stash wise, you're taking a risk every year after all. 

19 hours ago, 40 Days said:

Does anyone else think the registration process and how difficult it is to get tickets actually makes the festival safer, as it were - and less prone to an opportunistic attack compared to the likes to Download, IoW etc? Then there's the perimeter fencing too acting as another line of defence. As a few other people have pointed out, the weakest spots are probably outside the main site... Saying that I take no issue with bag searches for everyone.

The ticketing system at Glastonbury means it should stop terrorists getting in on someone else's ticket, but there are plenty of ways to launch an attack without a ticket.

the fence is a big barrier to stop an opportunist attack, and I'm guessing pre festival security will be shit hot and during the festival vehicle movement on site will be heavily monitored.

the queues will be the most vulnerable point of the whole weekend.

Just reading the previous page, +90 minutes doesn't sound too bad.  But it'll be added to several hours normally spent in the queue for many people - and if it's warm, or wet (likely to be one of the two) then it might be a bit much for some people.  Things can get a bit tetchy in the queue already!  Hopefully not too many people let themselves get too trashed.  Remember water and keep the spirits up, you will get in!

10 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Alleged 2 hour queue into Download arena (not campsite) - searching every bag.

That's kinda terrible, people must be missing bands, can't even pop back to your tent and come back without having to queue. But I think this is the first day that the arena would have opened, probably not too many hours ago either. 

1 minute ago, danielharris627 said:

That's kinda terrible, people must be missing bands, can't even pop back to your tent and come back without having to queue. But I think this is the first day that the arena would have opened, probably not too many hours ago either. 

Given Glasto isn't an 'arena' festival perhaps they are going to search everyone at the Pedestrian Gates. We want to be safe, but can't help but feel like terrorism is winning.

Didn't really want to post it as I thought it was BS (I was told a few days back) but my mate reckons that they considered or are considering not allowing people on site until the Thursday. He works for a security company who have a contract with the Festival, and he has never been to Glasto and I highly doubt even knows it usually starts on a Weds, so might not be rubbish. Doesn't seem to make sense to me though.

2 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Didn't really want to post it as I thought it was BS (I was told a few days back) but my mate reckons that they considered or are considering not allowing people on site until the Thursday. He works for a security company who have a contract with the Festival, and he has never been to Glasto and I highly doubt even knows it usually starts on a Weds, so might not be rubbish. Doesn't seem to make sense to me though.

I suspect thats nonsense, as it would fuck up all the coach journeys for one thing.

21 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Alleged 2 hour queue into Download arena (not campsite) - searching every bag.

Surely everyone was searched coming into the campsites first though, so isn't it a waste of time searching them again before going into the arena? Apart from for booze etc, which they would have done previously.