New security measures in place

brettredmayne

41 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I can't believe people are actually contemplating an attack, Im not even thinking about it in any capacity at all. 

Agree. I'm all for discussion but I've literally seen news articles everywhere about the increased security measures. The festival literally emailed everyone about it, I don't think there needs to be speculation about the probability of something happening. There's a lot of similar threads popping up like jeez just enjoy the build up to the last Glastonbury for a couple of years and stop fretting. Too much scaremongering about right now

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

Agree. I'm all for discussion but I've literally seen news articles everywhere about the increased security measures. The festival literally emailed everyone about it, I don't think there needs to be speculation about the probability of something happening. There's a lot of similar threads popping up like jeez just enjoy the build up to the last Glastonbury for a couple of years and stop fretting. Too much scaremongering about right now

Agreed 100%. We should be talking about all the good things to come in 2 weeks rather than debating where an attack might happen.

At the arcade fire gig tonight they had more searches than you would normally have. Had to empty all your pockets then a pat down and finally a scan with the hand and metal detector. It's going to be the same now for all big concerts for a while, will just have to adapt to it 

4 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Its gonna be a shitfight to get in whatever. Plan for one trip in only if you can. It can be done.

Not with my missus, 4 fucking trips last year. I've said I'll do two this year and that's it!

2 minutes ago, Flysheet said:

Not with my missus, 4 fucking trips last year. I've said I'll do two this year and that's it!

4 trips bloody hell what do you take?  I've never made more than 1 trip and it sounds like I have a missus like yours but we a fully packed sack trolley we've always just managed (though always swear to bring less next year!)

There is no specific threat against the festival. 

Emailing them to ask what is going on is futile. The police/festival have a plan and revealing it early would reduce its "operational effectiveness". 

Every car is apparently going to be searched..... 

Edited by Ohinever

53 minutes ago, weeksy97 said:

Someone one facebook page has just confirmed the police dogs at download are only there for explosives and not drugs, confirmed by police 

Screenshot_20170607-222737.png

I can imagine some arse twitching lol.

23 minutes ago, zico martin said:

4 trips bloody hell what do you take?  I've never made more than 1 trip and it sounds like I have a missus like yours but we a fully packed sack trolley we've always just managed (though always swear to bring less next year!)

We tend to do it in two trips. First trip is for tents and chairs/sleeping bags only and then return for the bags and beers.

Saying that I've never had my bag searched at Glastonbury so we may rethink that this year to save unnecessary queuing twice.

My bag is also 65l, will be fine, going to make sure I pack it with unpacking and repacking in mind, and easy to search just to hurry things along! Current plan is go through late morning (if pos) with bag and bedding, then return for booze on 2nd trip once I've got to the tipis and ditched my bags. 

I dont believe the vast majority of folk on here are actually concerned about a possibe attack. I really dont.

I think most people on this forum understand why the message is out there that security will be tighter than previous years .As it will ( and already is) at every large UK public gathering for the very near future .And it would, in my view, be totaly unacceptable for Glastonbury Festival to ignore this.This will not be the only festival this summer to issue the message, that you will experience a level of checks that you havnt seen before .

How do i feel about it? I thought initally how could this realate to the most secure festival i know Super fence, photos on tickets etc Then you start to think of the massive amount of non punter traffic etc over the period and its possibly easier than we think.

The actual email sent out from Glasto was poorly drafted .But im  guessing this was a tougher message for Glasto to send than many of its peers. As the ethos of freedom and keeping restrictions ( ie allowing you to bring food / booze & having open fires) to a minimum. The Evi would not take easy to this .Treating folk as adults has generally served them well.

My point is -

I have a ticket to the festival. Im very very lucky.The festival is the equivelent of a Wlliy Wonkas Gold ticket nowdays .

Ive been following with hope and not a little despair the secret sale thread.The comaradary and never say die attutude is amazing .I remember it will so i will include empathy .I was lucky enough to actually get a ticket in 2015 in this very way (thanks Siblin and my lovely girlfried "lingle" who cracked it for us ) so i know the hold it takes on your life . And the amazing high we felt when we succeded  . I also know the massive downer when the last option, that is this sale ,fails. We lost out last year and missed the party .

So .I will wait. I will queue .And i will remember how lucky I am . At weaker moments I may moan .But that will likely because ive been up for 24 hrs after driving from Aberdeen .But lingle will shake me out of that pretty quickly.

"You have a ticket for the greatest show on earth Col "    

I will wait ...

1 minute ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

My bag is also 65l, will be fine, going to make sure I pack it with unpacking and repacking in mind, and easy to search just to hurry things along! Current plan is go through late morning (if pos) with bag and bedding, then return for booze on 2nd trip once I've got to the tipis and ditched my bags. 

Separate the bag with carrier bag 'compartments' for things like clothes, toiletries, food, utensils etc. so you can just pull the bags out to be searched rather than have it all messed up, that's what I do. Easier to find things then also

8 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

Separate the bag with carrier bag 'compartments' for things like clothes, toiletries, food, utensils etc. so you can just pull the bags out to be searched rather than have it all messed up, that's what I do. Easier to find things then also

Yeah, I've got some over-engineered packing cubes for my suitcase that are little mesh zip bags, so my plan is to compartmentalise all my clothes in those, and make sure I don't have anything loose in the bag. Hopefully will only have clothes and toiletries in the bag, sleeping equipment strapped to outside of bag. I just hope everyone takes similar precautions to speed up the searches really, will probably have some 'walking beers' too, just in case I get bored in the queue. 

Someone in the 'State of the Ground' thread just said that they have heard the security will be doing 100% searches on entry. No idea how that would work but seems they are making out there's gonna be some heavy searching so preparing for your bag to be emptied/ways to repack quickly  is definitely a good idea 

13 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

Someone in the 'State of the Ground' thread just said that they have heard the security will be doing 100% searches on entry. No idea how that would work but seems they are making out there's gonna be some heavy searching so preparing for your bag to be emptied/ways to repack quickly  is definitely a good idea 

I imagine it will be something similar to what they have at Bestival. There's no way they could unpack every bag, people would be there for days. I reckon and quick rummage around the bag rather than emptying all the contents will be what they are doing

6 hours ago, sparkyswitch said:

I may be wrong but didn't the police request that the pedestrian gates to opened early in 2010 due to the volume of people queing (for the football) ?

Was wondering how they would manage the same situation this year.

We were in the campervan field just before the road crossing that year, E16 I think. The festival used it as a holding area. Total chaos followed with 20 different queues snaking off. We snook behind the portaloos, through the bushes and walked to a very empty gate B. This was about 11am.