New security measures in place

brettredmayne

9 minutes ago, payneruk said:

This year i'm going with 7 newbies. So I bet i'm the one who gets pulled over for the search. And none of thr others will know how to get to the campsite.

Gonna have to put some instructions on the map for them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RIQxyQrsp7RRgx5PSqx2Am5d2es&usp=sharing

This may help them - you can copy the map and add your own instructions and even do a navigation search like: Birmingham to Orange Car Parks Entrance

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/5/2017 at 8:26 PM, stopwn1981 said:

Also apart from just the website and tweet, surely they should be emailing this to all ticket holders.

Without going through the whole reply chain, we did receive an email so i'm sure that's the plan - its probably all happened by now?

We want our bloody ticket dispatch email!

I was chatting to the wife about the potential queuing last night and searching everyones bags. She made the point that in light of the recent events the security's focus will be shifted from what it usually is.

The years we've been searched on entry they've gone as far as to search through my wife's purse/small bag, looking for goodies. That's not going to be their point of interest this year, they will be instructed to look for things that look/feel like weapons, explosives ect, they'll have a quick feel of and look inside small bags, I think once they've emptied rucksacks out to the point where they think you couldn't feasibly conceal anything of danger they'll move you on.

Plus there's no way they could search everyone due to the time it would take.

On 6/5/2017 at 2:32 PM, Larraht said:

I have a tutu with fairy lights and led wire sewn in and a body suit which is a similar affair. So three battery packs. Wires everywhere. I'm going to be put on a list, aren't I?

The tutu bomber - Has a certain cachet to it. 

Let's hope they have a proper search routine, with trained security. That will speed it up a little. I doubt they will check everyone even though I feel they should. Festivals are easy targets for terrorists, and stepped up security is needed.

10 hours ago, Watergirl said:

On two occasions it has taken me nearly all of Wednesday to get in. In the early days of registration foreign festival-goers had to collect their ticket at the box office, which seemed to be two people with an enormous box of envelopes. I literally watched all the fields where I might camp up the hill fill up as I stood in that queue, until 5 p.m.

Another time I was on one of the first shuttle busses out of Bristol, but due to an accident somewhere traffic was at a standstill. We were moving so slow that we went on a pub crawl. Got out of the bus, walked a mile or so to a pub along the road and drank there until the bus caught up, which could take up until an hour at the time. Got through the gates at 6 p.m. I think.

I am bracing myself for delays like that....

Think I may have been on your bus from Bristol. I take it that was 2009!

4 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

with a lot of peeps taking battery packs for led lighting on might cause a problem for security , especially with exposed little wires !!!

I'm hoping security will have a briefing on this in particular. The bought light up hoodies should be fine, it's the dodgy home made efforts covered in duct tape like mine which may attract attention.

I'm going to turn my lights on as I approach security so they can see what they are for :D

Edited by squirrelarmy

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

2009 was a nightmare traffic-wise. We left Birmingham in a car at 7am and didn't get on site until 7pm.

I got the train down from Up North to Bristol and had a night out there and stayed over, so we could hop on a shuttle bus and get to site in record time and get a pitch. It ended up taking 11 hours on the shuttle bus :wacko: Left the hotel at 7.30 and got pitched up by 20.30... the following festival (2011) we just got the coach from Middlesbrough and got there 4 hours earlier! :lol:

The one advantage to 11 hour shuttle bus journey as Watergirl alluded to above, was that traffic was going so slowly you could hop out of the bus and go in the pub, without fear of losing the bus! At one point a group of us walked down the road following the traffic for about a mile and a half until we got to Shepton Mallet. We bought a 4 pack of beers each and sat drinking them for 2 hours until the coach caught us up again. I must say I ended up being rather merry by the time I was trying to put the tent up...

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

I'm hoping security will have a briefing on this in particular. The bought light up hoodies should be fine, it's the dodgy home made efforts covered in duct tape like mine which may attract attention.

Yes I can see that may be a problem ... it's a difficult problem and how would they deal with it ?

25 minutes ago, denwyn said:

Festivals are easy targets for terrorists

Nah they're not. They have drive to the festival first, through various checkpoints, park the car up somewhere where theres security, make their way into the festival somehow etc etc.

Not worth it. Remember these guys are total thickos so its much easier just to go to your nearest main st, marathon, bus, underground etc. 

Too much planning and risk and intelligence needed to attack a festival. They're not Al Qaeda. This new lot of cretins seem to be easily radicalised by youtube. Utter utter simpletons. 

Edited by The Nal

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

7 newbies?! How did that happen? 

My usual group of 15 has been whittled down over the years. And this year is down to 3 plus one newbie.

So I wasn't gonna bother. Buuuuut the Daft Punk 10 year rotation rumours started happening :rolleyes:.  So I couldn't miss out on that if it was true.

But when I got a ticket. I got a text from a couple of my friends who've never been. Asking for Glasto advice as they've got tickets. So I told them them I could do one better and camp with them as I'd managed to get a ticket too. Then come Monday my workmate told me him and his missus got tickets too. So they joined the new camp. And the rest are made up of their friends who've also never been.

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Nah they're not. They have drive to the festival first, through various checkpoints, park the car up somewhere where theres security, make their way into the festival somehow etc etc.

Not worth it. Remember these guys are total thickos so its much easier just to go to your nearest main st, marathon, bus, underground etc. 

Too much planning and risk to attack a festival. 

Exactly this. They're crude opportunists, never venturing too far from where they live to carry out these attacks

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Too much planning and risk to attack a festival. 

Too right. 

Most of the attackers in recent events have been on the watch list as a known person, they have a list of 3,000 known people who may potentially cause a problem. They will have compared that list with the glasto entry list to see if there is any correlation. 

Any cars on site need to have parking stickers attached, the same with any buses and vans coming near the site. If any non glastonbury marked vehicle approaches the site with drivers who fit the security profile you can be assured the police would be on them long before they got anywhere near the gate. 

Do you have to give the reg number for your car when you get your parking pass? 

My concern is not so much the being searched, it's the queues... we have a couple of older people in our group and we would like to avoid them being stood in queues for hours if we can. 

Ive emailed the office and asked them about how/how often they intend to communicate waiting times to people who haven't arrived on site yet. We are staying in a cottage in Wells on the Tuesday night so can be flexible about what time we arrive on site but that's only any good if they keep communication channels open (and properly... not like last year when they were saying that traffic was "free flowing around the site" when there was actually a 7 hour queue to get into the car parks).

Will report back if/when I get a response. 

3 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

My concern is not so much the being searched, it's the queues... we have a couple of older people in our group and we would like to avoid them being stood in queues for hours if we can. 

You may be better getting the people you don't want to queue to have an extra night in the cottage while most of you get in and get the tents and gear set up. If the queues clear by Wednesday evening you can get them to join you then but if not they may be better waiting till Thursday if the worst happens with the queues.

Edited by squirrelarmy

17 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

I got the train down from Up North to Bristol and had a night out there and stayed over, so we could hop on a shuttle bus and get to site in record time and get a pitch. It ended up taking 11 hours on the shuttle bus :wacko: Left the hotel at 7.30 and got pitched up by 20.30... the following festival (2011) we just got the coach from Middlesbrough and got there 4 hours earlier! :lol:

The one advantage to 11 hour shuttle bus journey as Watergirl alluded to above, was that traffic was going so slowly you could hop out of the bus and go in the pub, without fear of losing the bus! At one point a group of us walked down the road following the traffic for about a mile and a half until we got to Shepton Mallet. We bought a 4 pack of beers each and sat drinking them for 2 hours until the coach caught us up again. I must say I ended up being rather merry by the time I was trying to put the tent up...

We did exactly the same. There were four of us in the car and we kept jumping out whenever we saw a pub and coming back with pints (plus we were using the toilets). Was nicely sloshed by the time we actually arrived, although my mate who was driving was less happy.