New security measures in place

brettredmayne

Same with the advice to come Thursday or Friday, everyone will be racing to be at the site even earlier on Wednesday to try and beat the queues. 

Think the coach travellers will be getting it slightly easier but I'll be rethinking my bag packing to make it easier to repack

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, fowls said:

Drug hiding aside, I think it's sad they're encouraging people not to bring their own food and drink, especially since it's with no acknowledgement of how pricey festival food and drink can be. Plenty of people can only afford to go to festivals by bringing their own, especially as ticket prices sky rocket. Suggesting people buy everything inside isn't really a solution.  

Spot on. If it was any other festival I'd be saying it was disgraceful and opportunistic. I do give the benefit of the doubt with Glastonbury and I do hope this isn't the intention in this case.

I am surprised at how many people saying this will make them feel safer? On the one hand if there were to be a terror attack, it would happen, regardless of how many tent bags they search and secondly at 3am on Saturday night after one or two drinks, this will be the last thing on my mind. 

Edited by Tyonks

I can't see everyone being fully searched, at a guess on Wednesday when the gates normally open I'd day they search 1 in every 200 people, that will probably drop down to 50, 20 at most, would take most of Wednesday to get people on site anyway.

Looks best to only use a small amount of easily removed pallet wrap on trolley though, stick with bungee cords till you get through the gates

I have no intention of bringing any less than I normally do, but I will 'present' it in a way that is much easier for searching through. For the last ten years or so I have used a sack barrow to take my stuff in on. The only way this would work was to tie my stuff to it with yards of webbing tape, so that it didn't fall off or shift. An absolute mare to tie up / undo / retie.

This year, for my 65th birthday, Mrs Airwaves - who is coming for the first time - bought me a 4 wheel, 4-sided trolley. I reckon I can carry my usual amount of stuff, in a neat plastic box or two, without having to tie or tape everything into place. So taking lids off the boxes for a rummage around and then re-lidding should be easy peasy.

As for how much it delays entry that will be down to how much resource Glasto organisers put on to the entrances. Last year at Gate D they had a search when they started to let the overnighters enter the barriered area outside. That was slow because they only had 2 search team/tables. If they had put, say, 6 , 8, 10 .... on then the Q would have moved proportionally quicker.

3 minutes ago, Tyonks said:

Spot on. If it was any other festival I'd be saying it was disgraceful and opportunistic. I do give the benefit of the doubt with Glastonbury and I do hope this isn't the intention in this case.

I am surprised at how many people saying this will make them feel safer? On the one hand if there were to be a terror attack, it would happen, regardless of how many tent bags they search and secondly at 3am on Saturday night after one or two drinks, this will be the last thing on my mind. 

Don't be daft. It's not disgraceful and opportunistic, it's the festival protecting themselves. Personally I'd feel safe enough whether or not they did this, but I think it's pretty clear this is a sensible measure. Chances are it will have no effect as I think there's far softer targets than Glasto, but if the worst were to happen the festival would struggle to defend themselves after the events of the last few months had they not done something like this. 

40 minutes ago, merago said:

So basically I need to get a letter from my doctor in the next 2 weeks or they'll confiscate my prescription pills that I need if I get searched?

that also seems to suggest you're not even allowed vitamin c tablets :s 

3 minutes ago, airwaves said:

I have no intention of bringing any less than I normally do, but I will 'present' it in a way that is much easier for searching through. 

Probably the best advice here. We are likely to be searched so best to make it as easy as possible for those people searching and will help to get everyone through quicker. 

1 minute ago, arcade fireman said:

Don't be daft. It's not disgraceful and opportunistic.

To be fair I did say I didn't believe that this was the case here, but point taken, probably being a little over dramatic. 

In an earlier post on the thread I did say it is understandable that they're taking these steps, but can't see how it can be possibly managed as they're describing on the email, without it turning into chaos

2 minutes ago, Tyonks said:

To be fair I did say I didn't believe that this was the case here, but point taken, probably being a little over dramatic. 

In an earlier post on the thread I did say it is understandable that they're taking these steps, but can't see how it can be possibly managed as they're describing on the email, without it turning into chaos

I've got every confidence in them. They've  managed to handle all sorts of situations over the years. I'm sure they can strike a balance here. 

3 minutes ago, Laurawfc said:

So basically I need to get a letter from my doctor in the next 2 weeks or they'll confiscate my prescription pills that I need if I get searched?

I have to take prescription medication daily, I'd expect a significant proportion of attendees do.  I pack them, in their blisterpacks with the counterfoil for the prescription.  When searched this has never been an issue.

10 minutes ago, Laurawfc said:

Not if you have your name on them on the box, I take a few different ones and find its a ball ache to take the boxes so just cut out the prescription print off out the boxes and take the strips of meds in a zip bag with the bits I cut out with them. Always do this going abroad too, never once had to show em though. Think these guidelines are more saying don't bring a massive unmarked tub of little pills and say they are for your hay fever!

Edit:Just beat me to it above, works too but my chemist keeps my counter foil to re order I think, or loose it, bin it anyway. So if you aren't picking up your prescription before Glastonbury just do the box cutting trick.

Edited by nowthen2k6

So do we reckon this is something that's been foisted upon them by councils or w/e?

The irony is that this security theatre makes things no more safe. If anybody wanted to harm a large crowd of people then they're not going to have sat hammering F5 in October are they? This just increases the crowds of people outside of the ticket checks. And in the unlikely event it puts any psychopaths off Glastonbury, they'd hardly just go about their lives again would they? They'd just go somewhere else. Intelligence and identifying the risky individuals before they start putting plans into action is the only way to really stop these people. But there again, more funding for intelligence programmes and community schemes to reach out to potential agressors and de-radicalise them isn't a big flashy sign that says "look, we're doing something about this!".

Not saying they shouldn't do this, obviously they've done it for a reason, but it makes me feel no more or less safe. Villagers will probably be right chuffed with the ensuing traffic jams.

As others have said I will just pack my things with the expectation I will be having to quickly empty on to a table and then repack. I'll also think about a couple of extra beers and some snacks for the queue in case of delays, I'd still rather be stood queuing to get into Glastonbury than at work.

5 minutes ago, nowthen2k6 said:

Not if you have your name on them on the box, I take a few different ones and find its a ball ache to take the boxes so just cut out the prescription print off out the boxes and take the strips of meds in a zip bag with the bits I cut out with them. Always do this going abroad too, never once had to show em though. Think these guidelines are more saying don't bring a massive unmarked tub of little pills and say they are for your hay fever!

Edit:Just beat me to it above, works too but my chemist keeps my counter foil to re order I think, or loose it, bin it anyway. So if you aren't picking up your prescription before Glastonbury just do the box cutting trick.

Thanks, yeah I was confused by it saying the counterfoil as I'm sure the pharmacist needs to keep that bit. 

I normally throw away the box and sticker with my name on as soon as I open them, will just make sure to keep the next box and bring it

I don't understand this "don't come on Wednesday" advice when GFL offer camping and entertainment from Wednesday onwards. I bet literally no one comes a day later, in fact I expect more people will think "hmm, maybe less people will go on Wednesday now, might go a bit earlier"

Off the topic of 'hiding places' - I hope they're maintaining secruity until late Monday. I have noticed the gates are a lot more free-flowing on a Monday, surely they need to keep things tight until the site is clear?

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

would you believe our shrink-wrap was delivered today !!  anyone know any alternative uses for a roll of pallet wrap ?!

shrink wrap the shrink wrap to the (loaded) trolley, if asked to remove shrink wrap re-wrap with shrink wrap at the gate

Me and my girlfriend went out this afternoon and spent £30 on food and drinks to take with us, as we can't afford to be paying £10 each every morning for a cup of tea and a bacon roll.

We got beans, tea bags, pasta, etc. Do you think we will still be okay to bring that and our little stove?

We were planning on queueing on Tuesday night, with just our tent and making another trip or two for everything else.

32 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Bugger - I'll have to try and get an appt at Drs as I'll be taking some oxycodine tablets with me and was planning on taking just one strip rather than the box full. 

Receptionist will do you a print out save getting an appointment or if you have the box just cut the label bit with your name on out and take that with your strip.

Its going to be a pain, and i personally think it will be pointless, since any incident will happen outside rather than in the festival (On the basis i doubt aby of those fuckers will be able to get a tic)

But if people want it to feel safer, then fair enough