New security measures in place

brettredmayne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, zico martin said:

oh bloody hell, we never pack light and always take too much stuff and where planning on taking a sack trolley full of stuff each!  Right now I cant imagine how we're gonna get the load small enough not to need any trolleys, do i need to accept that I will need to make 3-4 journeys?

Think you'lll be fine with a trolley, advice seems to be warning of delays getting through rather than a ban. We're still taking one but are going to assume it'll be searched so will pack with that in mind.

1 hour ago, stopwn1981 said:

I am wondering what asking for bags to be named achieves, unless they do have a plan to put stuff through some sort of airport style machine.

"Did you pack this yourself sir?"

What an unpleasant situation. It puts me off going a bit.

And you just know the coppers will gleefully use this opportunity to discriminate against anyone who looks a little bit alternative. Extra vigorous searches for those poor souls. And God help them when they find their measly stash.

Of course Cordelia and Rupert will have nothing to worry about.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

And you just know the coppers will gleefully use this opportunity to discriminate against anyone who looks a little bit alternative. Extra vigorous searches for those poor souls. And God help them when they find their measly stash.

I disagree with you there mate... they really have got more important things to worry about ,than a bit of green etc

9 minutes ago, Ollie9917 said:

so it says not to. Yikes.

I know, I only noticed this myself about 20 minutes ago.  I have prescription medicine to take in, but was also planning on taking other perfectly legitimate things (ranitidine for heartburn for example, and some paracetamols for the hangover).  I guess I can pick up at the on site pharmacies

8 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Oh, please shut up, you tit.

As others have said it's sad it's come to this but can understand the security moves in light of recent attacks. 

In terms of security would however have thought those going on and off site in a work and volunteer capacity carry a greater risk of getting in for terrorist motives. Or the softer targets outside the festival gates going in and out the festival

Edited by phil the shrew

12 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

Think you'lll be fine with a trolley, advice seems to be warning of delays getting through rather than a ban. We're still taking one but are going to assume it'll be searched so will pack with that in mind.

yeah i guess, if we try and pack both trolleys so they are nice and easy to search/ empty/ repack and expect the worst and we cant be disappointed.

cheers mid

3 minutes ago, merago said:

I know, I only noticed this myself about 20 minutes ago.  I have prescription medicine to take in, but was also planning on taking other perfectly legitimate things (ranitidine for heartburn for example, and some paracetamols for the hangover).  I guess I can pick up at the on site pharmacies

Pretty sure otc medication in sealed blister packs will fine. 

I'm more worried about a super queue than I am about any thing happening like we've seen lately... Although I guess I'm not as worried about the former as some are about the latter so, while I personally disagree with us queuing for 4.79 days or whatever, I don't necessarily begrudge it. 

Also, whoever first said about putting different clothes in carrier bags that is genius and I'm a little annoyed no one suggested that at my first festival 8 years ago. Off to go back a few pages and upvote.

Curious whether this'll be the security thread to end all security threads, a new one seems to pop up every time one makes it to 6 pages.

Edited by priest17
out of upvotes, tomorrow it is.

Applaud this move from the festival.

What time we lose in queuing up on Wednesday will be hopefully offset by:

- Any security fears being eased by the comprehensiveness of the checks.

- A reduction in the sheer volume of junk left behind by people on the Monday.

- And scaremonger people into not taking illegal drugs into the festival.

1 hour ago, Larraht said:

I have a tutu with fairy lights and led wire sewn in and a body suit which is a similar affair. So three battery packs. Wires everywhere. I'm going to be put on a list, aren't I?

No. Wires and lights won't be a problem. Explosives take up quite a lot of space. your tutu will be fine.

Drug hiding aside, I think it's sad they're encouraging people not to bring their own food and drink, especially since it's with no acknowledgement of how pricey festival food and drink can be. Plenty of people can only afford to go to festivals by bringing their own as ticket prices sky rocket year on year. Suggesting people buy everything inside isn't really a solution.  

Edited by fowls

The reality is they are just suggesting people bring less for good reason as it will take less time for everyone to be searched and make it easier for everybody. They know that realistically most people won't really take any notice, like last year when they told people with caravans and campers not to turn up until 6pm, most ignored it, and the next day the traffic was so bad they tried suggesting people stay at home because the festival doesn't really start properly until Friday, but again everyone ignored it.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, fowls said:

Drug hiding aside, I think it's sad they're encouraging people not to bring their own food and drink, especially since it's with no acknowledgement of how pricey festival food and drink can be. Plenty of people can only afford to go to festivals by bringing their own, especially as ticket prices sky rocket. Suggesting people buy everything inside isn't really a solution.  

I don't think that's what they mean. Theyre not implying that everyone should buy all their food and drink on the inside but are saying it's an option. I think what they're tryna say is you could reduce your food stocks and buy inside instead.  

As others have mentioned, I think a big reason that they've said that is to reduce litter and what's left once we've all gone back home.