New security measures in place

brettredmayne

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I remember reading about a guy at some festival somewhere who went to the trouble of hiding his stash in a jar of peanut butter... unfortunately it was a glass jar and got taken away from him :rofl:

Poor bastard!  

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I remember reading about a guy at some festival somewhere who went to the trouble of hiding his stash in a jar of peanut butter... unfortunately it was a glass jar and got taken away from him :rofl:

Sorry if I seem heartless, but I have absolutely no sympathy for him. That's almost a Darwin Award level of stupidity. :rofl:

4 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

Sigh...what a shame it's come to this. That I'm nervous of a slight possibility of being stabbed or bombed at Glastonbury... for gods sake what's happening??

Then don't be. Anybody who's been to Glastonbury knows that it would make a ridiculous place for somebody like that to target.

5 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

My friend once stashed his contraband in an actual pringles tube. He opened the tube, took out half the pringles, put in his stash, put in the rest of the pringles and glued the metal seal thing back to the tube. It just looked like an unopened tube of pringles.

Do i know you? lol

Weirdly, this has persuaded me to take the absolute maximum I can manage when I first arrive! I'm with the recycling crew, and arriving on the Monday, so there should be no queue at all. If I take 20 minutes getting in, it's no big deal. The less my family have to bring in on the Wednesday, the better! I probably will go through my stuff, and make sure it's as easy as possible to repack, though.

Just now, sunnydaysblue said:

I've been 8 times. I know it's unlikely. Doesn't stop me thinking though.  But still it must be something Michael Eavis is worried about. 'Someone like that' would hopefully stand out to security and a attack would have to have been planned since either the sale or resale. 

Indeed. It would take a huge amount of planning and there are far more easier places to do much greater damage. I think Michael is a very switched on guy, he takes his responsibilities very seriously but I don't think GFL are doing this because they think it would actually stop an attack. I think they're doing it because they've been advised that it would look bad if they didn't.

If they were adding more items to the prohibited list they would have said so in the info page they put out! At the end of the day, the organisers have our enjoyment at heart, and know how big an event it is for us all, that we like to dress all fancy, they don't want to strip away the fun we're going to have.

What they've done this evening is shown everyone that they're prepared, to put people's minds at ease. Especially those who have been properly spooked, despite logic saying they will be safe as houses. They've also asked us to be prepared, so the extra queues don't come as too much of a shock.

Don't feel too apprehensive about the short part of the festival you're waiting in a queue outside, think about all the fun you're going to have inside! Two weeks people! :D x

8 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Then don't be. Anybody who's been to Glastonbury knows that it would make a ridiculous place for somebody like that to target.

Bit of a naive comment really. An Ariana Grande concert was an unlikely target if you ask me. Anywhere could be a possible target these days, especially anywhere with crowds of people. I have faith in Glastonbury security and police though and as you say there are more easier targets but in 2017 nothing really shocks me any more.

3 minutes ago, Ollie9917 said:

also 

I take supplements when I relish in some substances to help alleviate the brain stress and stuff ( I recommend checking it out here

Would that not look a bit dodgy if I bring in loads of unmarked (but legal) pills

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/advice/medical-and-first-aid/prescribed-medicines-policy/

oh bloody hell, we never pack light and always take too much stuff and where planning on taking a sack trolley full of stuff each!  Right now I cant imagine how we're gonna get the load small enough not to need any trolleys, do i need to accept that I will need to make 3-4 journeys?

53 minutes ago, I am Jon said:

Starting to rethink my packing already, clearly the focus is going to be on weapons not drugs:

However guess the following could be iffy:

• My trusty peg hammer / duck tape dispenser (been with me to every festival since Reading 95) :(
  • Pen knife, maybe take a cheapo one I wouldn't mind loosing....
  • Gas canister (always paranoid about been able to buy the right type on site), maybe give up on cooking food all together.  
  • Medical supplies, always take an extensively stocked first aid kit. 

Shouldn't worry about first aid kits .. there will be plenty of Type 1 diabetic on site with needles (myself included )  so don't see this as a problem . like at customs I let them know before and there are no issues