New security measures in place

brettredmayne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, shoptildrop said:

Just thinking this, will they confiscate like face powder that has mirror in It?

Possibly. A few years ago they tried to confiscate some foundation from me because it was in a glass pot - even though the glass was so thick it would be very difficult to smash.

This is the metal mirror I bought.

3 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

That's how I pack. The more clothes I have in plastic bags the less chance of them getting wet and it's also easier to find things in the tent, instead of rummaging randomly.

Don't know why I have never thought of this before. Seems so obvious now! And anything I can do to help the poor souls having to do all these extra searches plus cutting down on wait times for everyone else in the queue, seems the least you can do. I will be reading efestivals with great interest at 6am Wednesday morning before I leave to see how it's all going...! 

4 minutes ago, fur_q said:

Good job police and security don't have access to the internet and so will never have seen any of these things before. 

I make no guarantees about their effectiveness.  Only discussing with fellow partakers how we may still enjoy some alternative activities, as tent bags and sleeping bags will clearly be unravelled and opened. A few tubes of Pringles may not be.

Edited by Fork_UK

13 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

That's how I pack. The more clothes I have in plastic bags the less chance of them getting wet and it's also easier to find things in the tent, instead of rummaging randomly.

Also this! We camp in Rivermead so can never be sure we not going to be flooded! :-) I stand a better chance of having 1 set of clothes that survives floating away! 

3 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

I make no guarantees about their effectiveness.  Only discussing with fellow partakers how we may still enjoy some alternative activities, as tent bags and sleeping bags will clearly be unravelled and opened. A few tubes of Pringles may not be.

They are not going to unpack every tent and unravel every sleeping bag. People wouldn't be in yet and the festival would be finished 

3 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

I have a hole in the bottom of my sleeping bag. I could stash something in there then stitch it back up. So many choices on what to do I can't decide!!!

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

They are not going to unpack every tent and unravel every sleeping bag. People wouldn't be in yet and the festival would be finished 

No they won't search every single one, but if you do happen to get picked from the queue, you bet you're going to be opening your sleeping bag, tent bag and emptying your entire rucksack the same as they already did, if you got picked out.  I saw more than one tent, sleeping bag and beer crate searched last year.   

Even though I understand the need for them to do something but this could turn into a farce. 

What about razors, portable phone chargers, 1st aid kits, lighters, make up, contact lense solution bottles? Are they going to confiscate it all or nothing at all? Or will it just be C4 and ten inch blades they're going to ask questions about

Personally not a fan of arbitrary measures like this whatever the given circumstances.

12 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

Yes but they are well known to those who know what they're looking for. There are far better and les obvious places to stash small items than these. 

Cant see them searching everyone, the same sort of thing was announced for the Courteeners gig the following the Manchester attack and they didn't search everyone there and that would have been a lot easier than searching people with 5 days of camping gear. Im guessing they'll be asking to see people's tickets before they start queuing ( not sure if they already do this as I've only ever got the coach) ? Otherwise having loads of people in a queue outside the festival wouldn't be the best idea. 

I doubt that they will confiscate mirrors etc. At the end of the day a tent peg could do as much if not more damage, and getting hold of sharps on site would be pretty easy if you were determined. I think they will be pragmatic at the end of the day but this extra scrutiny is the right thing to do.

1 minute ago, Tyonks said:

Even though I understand the need for them to do something but this could turn into a farce. 

What about razors, portable phone chargers, 1st aid kits, lighters, make up, contact lense solution bottles? Are they going to confiscate it all or nothing at all? Or will it just be C4 and ten inch blades they're going to ask questions about

Personally not a fan of arbitrary measures like this whatever the given circumstances.

It's not going to airline style restrictions large sharp knives guns and explosives is what they will be on the lookout for. 

1 minute ago, Dave_c said:

I doubt that they will confiscate mirrors etc. At the end of the day a tent peg could do as much if not more damage, and getting hold of sharps on site would be pretty easy if you were determined. I think they will be pragmatic at the end of the day but this extra scrutiny is the right thing to do.

Mirrors have always been confiscated not because of any potential to fashion them into weapons but because it's a working farm and they don't want broken glass in the fields. 

Just now, fur_q said:

Yes but they are well known to those who know what they're looking for. There are far better and les obvious places to stash small items than these. 

Fair enough.  People will get creative, I'm sure.  Just throwing some ideas out there is all.  

Just now, fur_q said:

Mirrors have always been confiscated not because of any potential to fashion them into weapons but because it's a working farm and they don't want broken glass in the fields. 

My OT has brought one the past 3 years but then again we didn't get searched. I assumed it would be ok as it's something that would get taken home unlike beer bottles etc that would get dumped around the site. 

1 hour ago, barkley87 said:

The website says all ticket holders will be subject to searches. The definition of being subject to something according to google is 'likely or prone to be affected by'. So it might not be all, just most.

However the definition also says 'cause or force someone or something to undergo (a particular experience or form of treatment, typically an unwelcome or unpleasant one).' So maybe it means that.

Am I reading to much into this?

9nwUungl.jpg

My friend once stashed his contraband in an actual pringles tube. He opened the tube, took out half the pringles, put in his stash, put in the rest of the pringles and glued the metal seal thing back to the tube. It just looked like an unopened tube of pringles.