Caveyh

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Bit of a fluke that, though.  Taxis shouldn't be allowed to set down or drop off on that road and probably any other time you'd get re-directed to the drop off at Bath & West Showground.

There's a taxi rank by gate A. As far as I know it's reserved for locally registered taxis only. All others go to Bath & West.

Just now, stuwilky said:

Fair enough - Im more suggesting that you really dont need to use them this time around.  Should be the usual drive straight it at that kind of time :D

we arent going this year anyway, didn't really get that glosto vibe everyone talks about and seemed just as commercial as all other festivals and the line up isnt very good.

11 minutes ago, Caveyh said:

well it was our first time going so it wasn't an 'I'm alright jack' attitude thank you very much! We just didn't know and seemed sensible to just drive around instead of waiting 12 hours.

Well you obviously thought the signs didn't apply to you, you admit you just ignored them, must be special.

Just now, Smeble said:

Well you obviously thought the signs didn't apply to you, you admit you just ignored them, must be special.

it was are first time, and no we just saw the one sign saying 12 hour delays, no sign saying dont go that way, so we just thought why  not go around

1 minute ago, Caveyh said:

we arent going this year anyway, didn't really get that glosto vibe everyone talks about and seemed just as commercial as all other festivals and the line up isnt very good.

You missed your first opportunity of experiencing the Glastonbury vibe by jumping the queue, we made friends with the guys in the car in front of us and the Dutch guys in front of them had a BBQ on the go. 

3 minutes ago, Mickball said:

There's a taxi rank by gate A. As far as I know it's reserved for locally registered taxis only. All others go to Bath & West.

Fair enough.  Wasn't aware of that and don't recall having ever seen it.  Certainly the one time we gambled on a Gate A drop off from Bristol we got given short shrift and were booted right back down the road.

8 minutes ago, Smeble said:

You missed your first opportunity of experiencing the Glastonbury vibe by jumping the queue, we made friends with the guys in the car in front of us and the Dutch guys in front of them had a BBQ on the go. 

A bbq at 5 in the morning in pissing down rain... ill pass

18 minutes ago, Caveyh said:

So it wasn't something you could call the best weekend of your life, or anything like that?

Just now, Simpo said:

So it wasn't something you could call the best weekend of your life, or anything like that?

i mean it was good, but the way everyone was talking about it i was expecting something immense and different and less commercial from other festivals, but i just didn't feel that, and i have felt that feeling before at festivals

2 minutes ago, Caveyh said:

i mean it was good, but the way everyone was talking about it i was expecting something immense and different and less commercial from other festivals, but i just didn't feel that, and i have felt that feeling before at festivals

23 minutes ago, Caveyh said:

How, exactly?  Given the way it eschews sponsorship and advertising I'm a but curious as to what you mean.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

How, exactly?  Given the way it eschews sponsorship and advertising I'm a but curious as to what you mean.

dunno it just didn't feel as independent as i was expecting, i'm not saying it wasn't a great festival, it was, when the headliners performed and there was a sea off people it was awesome and i will be going again. and it is up there with the best festivals i have been to

Just now, Stu H said:

You didn't do it right.

:D:D 

yes we did, i just think my expectations were too high, it was the a great festival i'm not taking anything away from it. It was the 2nd best weekend i have had at a festival

yes we did, i just think my expectations were too high, it was the a great festival i'm not taking anything away from it. It was the 2nd best weekend i have had at a festival

I was just pulling your leg.

Everyone has a slightly different experience at the festival, there's so much going on.

If you watch the main acts on the Pyramid, sure, you can get a similar thing at other big festivals.

But I could be here for hours listing the other stuff Glastonbury has that others don't. Which is why we all tend to keep coming back! :D 

Just now, Stu H said:

I was just pulling your leg.

Everyone has a slightly different experience at the festival, there's so much going on.

If you watch the main acts on the Pyramid, sure, you can get a similar thing at other big festivals.

But I could be here for hours listing the other stuff Glastonbury has that others don't. Which is why we all tend to keep coming back! :D 

I think it was because it was so wet with sticky mud, it made it really hard to travel round and experience everything i was hoping to

I think it was because it was so wet with sticky mud, it made it really hard to travel round and experience everything i was hoping to

That was the worst thing about the mud last year. It did make getting around a nightmare.Shame you had to encounter it on your first visit, it's not normally like that for the whole five days. 

Just now, Hotchilidog said:

That was the worst thing about the mud last year. It did make getting around a nightmare.Shame you had to encounter it on your first visit, it's not normally like that for the whole five days. 

Yeah we did try for tickets again this year so we could hopefully experience it without the constant mud, but got no luck so didn't bother in the resale, going Reading instead

2 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Last year was my worst in terms of weather. It was an effort, and the getting into the site bit was hard work.

Sun and less mud definitely makes it a better festival!

3 minutes ago, Stu H said:

Last year was my worst in terms of weather. It was an effort, and the getting into the site bit was hard work.

Sun and less mud definitely makes it a better festival!

Mine too. I enjoyed the music I saw but I missed out on the full Glastonbury experience as flitting around the place was a struggle. My bimbing was kept ot a minimum, I'd pick a stage stay for a couple of acts and then move on to somewhere else but nearby. Pretty much took the Park out of the equation for me as I tended spend more time on the other side of the festival.

Still if 2016 did anything it toughened me up and I feel I can handle pretty much anything the festival can throw at me. Any improvement on last year and I'll be delighted.

1 hour ago, Caveyh said:

The "Glasto vibe" isn't something that just happens to you. It requires active participation. Saying hello to strangers (start with your neighbours), dancing with randoms, getting to know the people around you in the crowd, pushing yourself to be less introverted and trusting you'll be met with kindred spirits, which you usually (not always) will. It also requires a mental adjustment. Social perceptions of hierarchy and class end at the gates. Inside, everyone is your mate. Almost family. People are just people. Yes there are business owners inside, of course there are. Yes most sell food at higher prices than you'd expect to pay. That's an inevitable by-product of large gatherings, but it doesn't define it, for goodness sake.

8 minutes ago, kalifire said:

The "Glasto vibe" isn't something that just happens to you. It requires active participation. Saying hello to strangers (start with your neighbours), dancing with randoms, getting to know the people around you in the crowd, pushing yourself to be less introverted and trusting you'll be met with kindred spirits, which you usually (not always) will. It also requires a mental adjustment. Social perceptions of hierarchy and class end at the gates. Inside, everyone is your mate. Almost family. People are just people. Yes there are business owners inside, of course there are. Yes most sell food at higher prices than you'd expect to pay. That's an inevitable by-product of large gatherings, but it doesn't define it, for goodness sake.

I did all that, i do that without having to be at a festival... and im not saying that the people there aren't some of the nicest people i have met, i'm just saying that I could have seen and experienced more while i was there. So there is no need to get all pissy just because i said something that i feel from my first visit.

I did all that, i do that without having to be at a festival... and im not saying that the people there aren't some of the nicest people i have met, i'm just saying that I could have seen and experienced more while i was there. So there is no need to get all pissy just because i said something that i feel from my first visit.

I'm sorry if I came across as pissy. Wasn't my intention. And I fully respect that it didn't work for you. I guess I got a bit defensive because as far as I'm concerned, the place is incredible. I should remember it's perfectly fine that others don't agree.