the bomb

CaledonianGonzo

THE EXPERIENCE

the bomb places the viewer in the middle of the story of nuclear weapons - the most dangerous machines ever built - from the Trinity Test in 1945 to the current state of nuclear weapons in 2016. It will explore the culture surrounding nuclear weapons, the fascination they inspire and the perverse appeal they still exert.

It will convey the impossibility of controlling this technology.

the bomb is about the immense power of nuclear weapons, their dark allure and ingenious technology, the computer systems invented to control them, the missiles and bombers built to carry them, the practice of denial and secrecy that perpetuates them, the societal and cultural influence of them, and the profound death wish at the very heart of them.

The audience will experience visual and auditory simulations of nuclear testing/planning/attacks as well as the technological and cultural aspects of nuclear weapons. the bomb will be comprised of archival footage, animation, text, music and the installation design, which will be massive in scale.

The projected images and stories will be non-linear, big, memorable, and inescapable.

http://thebombnow.com

On in the Gastower, Shangri La - 11pm Thursday to Saturday.

RY X's solo stuff is incredible too. Saw him at Deaf Institute in Manchester last year and was blown away. It was one of the few gigs I've been too where everyone in the crowd was quiet during the songs and didn't talk over them. Probably because they were as mesmerised as I was! It created such an intensely beautiful atmosphere. 

I was struggling for a Sunday night headliner so delighted to see he's playing the Gastower at 10pm on Sunday. It's going to be an emotional Sunday night seeing Moderat then RY X. 

• 4 weeks later...

I showed up for this on Thursday but either I was a lot drunker than I thought or it never happened...I remember seeing bomb images but not hearing a live band, and then I wandered off around 12:30AM

If anyone caught this over the weekend, how was it?

4 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

I showed up for this on Thursday but either I was a lot drunker than I thought or it never happened...I remember seeing bomb images but not hearing a live band, and then I wandered off around 12:30AM

If anyone caught this over the weekend, how was it?

went to the same iteration of it and we didn't even realise it had started. visuals were great but there was either no live score or it was being drowned out by every other sound system in the area.

when wandering past the gas tower another night, the same visuals were playing and though we could see live musicians up in the booth, we still couldn't hear the score

2 minutes ago, liamium said:

went to the same iteration of it and we didn't even realise it had started. visuals were great but there was either no live score or it was being drowned out by every other sound system in the area.

when wandering past the gas tower another night, the same visuals were playing and though we could see live musicians up in the booth, we still couldn't hear the score

Yep we also went on the Thursday, couldn't work out if there was no music or we just couldn't hear it.

Was gutted that this wasn't working properly on the Thursday, made a special effort to go to it as I knew I couldn't make any of the other showings. Stayed and watched all the visuals even without the sound working and even with just the visuals alone it was incredibly moving and powerful.

Anybody who went with the sound, what was it like? I Imagined in my head it to have been quite mellow early on and then very intense toward the end, so I am just curious if how I imagined it is in anyway accurate. (probably not)

It was one of my highlights I saw it in the Friday night complete with the score. If anything I thought the score started off more intense and mellowed as the film progressed. The film was incredible it reinforced my opinion that nuclear weapons serve no purpose, whoever possesses them once they are used we all lose they aren't a deterrent.

It was interesting that the most shock people expressed was during the images of animal testing, as heinous this is it doesn't compare to the images of the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Someone near me said they were glad they were warned about the animal scenes so they could close their eyes during this part.

I didn't realise that the score was being played live but it was excellent.

• 1 month later...