2019 festival

Just now, Will-2609 said:

2016, but they were probably the most expected headliner. No one was surprised except Gazza.

Really? I feel like Royal Blood just now are bigger than Foals have ever been, and people aren't convinced Royal Blood are worthy of a headline slot in 2018.

21 minutes ago, danz026 said:

How surprising was it that they headlined in 2015? I remember seeing that they were co-headlining Beni last year and thinking that was a pretty underwhelming booking.

It was shocking.....had a a tour nowhere near justifying headlining....we'll say co-headlining tbf....I said no chance they would do outright. One bloody London date and wasn't even a particularly big one.....no wonder tickets had to be taken down to £60 for a day!

21 minutes ago, danz026 said:

Really? I feel like Royal Blood just now are bigger than Foals have ever been, and people aren't convinced Royal Blood are worthy of a headline slot in 2018.

I think because Foals had slowly made their way up the R&L lineup over the years, certainly pushed a lot by the festival. Aye Royal Blood are arguably bigger, but they've blown up so quickly and only have two albums, where as Foals had more of a back catalogue when they headlined.

18 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Definitely think The 1975 will headline in 2019. Reckon Tame Impala are likely to sub too, as well as either Skepta or BBK

Think Tame Impala will be in the position to co-headline by then, having already subbed Glastonbury last year and only gonna get bigger with a new album.

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Think Tame Impala will be in the position to co-headline by then, having already subbed Glastonbury last year and only gonna get bigger with a new album.

Not sure about that. As much as I’d love to see them headline, they were clearly a backup sub at G and many were adamant they weren’t big enough (small crowd too), and also you only have to look at some other Pyramid subs that wouldn’t have a hope of subbing any other major fests. I think they still need a Latitude or a Bestival (or APE now) headline slot in between or something before R+L can pull the trigger.

Edited by dentalplan

10 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Whichever band out of foos and arctics don't play reading in 2018 is very likely to play in 2019

well it seems pretty certain Foos are gonna play 2018. Then a lot of people are predicting Arctics to play Glasto in 2019. Guess that's just a logical prediction though so if it doesn't happen then yeah I'd say arctics are a good shout for 2019.

The only act I'd put money on headlining in 2019 just now would be The 1975.

Friday

Main: The 1975, Chvrches, Bombay Bicycle Club, The Hunna
NME: Giggs

Saturday

Main: Arctic Monkeys, Catfish & the Bottlemen, Tyler, the Creator, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes
NME: Mura Masa

Sunday

Main: My Chemical Romance, The Prodigy, Run the Jewels, Babymetal, While She Sleeps
NME: Jamie xx

• Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Friday

Main: The 1975, Chvrches, Bombay Bicycle Club, The Hunna
NME: Giggs

Saturday

Main: Arctic Monkeys, Catfish & the Bottlemen, Tyler, the Creator, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes
NME: Mura Masa

Sunday

Main: My Chemical Romance, The Prodigy, Run the Jewels, Babymetal, While She Sleeps
NME: Jamie xx

Would arctics do both glasto and R+L though?? Feel like it's gonna be a few years till their back.

Also could the killers do 2019 if they're not doing it next year if they decide to do 2 summers on this album? Feel like it could be a possibility as I feel after this album cycle is done they'll disappear for a while again.

Loving the Bombay Bicycle Club comeback and really hope 1975 headline outright cos their stage set is brilliant and would be amazing to close the night. 

8 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Would arctics do both glasto and R+L though?? Feel like it's gonna be a few years till their back.

Well yeah if they're at Glastonbury they'll probably not be at R&L too. But there's nothing solid suggesting they'll be at Glastonbury either yet, although it's arguably more likely they'll be there than R&L.

42 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Well yeah if they're at Glastonbury they'll probably not be at R&L too. But there's nothing solid suggesting they'll be at Glastonbury either yet, although it's arguably more likely they'll be there than R&L.

It’s not unthinkable that they’d be one of the acts that have gone to Glastonbury and asked to headline the 50th anniversary in 2020. Especially if they’re lined up to headline R+L 2019.

Edited by dentalplan

53 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Slipknot are an interesting shout tbf. Could see something like The 1975, Arctic Monkeys, Slipknot.

Then 2020 being something like Wolf Alice/Tame Impala (coheadline), My Chemical Romance, BBK (w/ Drake making an appearance).

Think 2020 would need someone bigger than that. Not sure who'd be around but a Green Day or a Blur or something (although Blur would probably be more likely for the Glasto 50th anniversary). If Arctic Monkeys aren't there this year I think they'll do Glasto 19 and could then do a Muse and do R&L in 2020 as a final UK date on the album cycle or something. 

18 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Think 2020 would need someone bigger than that. Not sure who'd be around but a Green Day or a Blur or something (although Blur would probably be more likely for the Glasto 50th anniversary). If Arctic Monkeys aren't there this year I think they'll do Glasto 19 and could then do a Muse and do R&L in 2020 as a final UK date on the album cycle or something. 

Yeah maybe Kanye instead of BBK would make it stronger.

However, getting MCR on their reunion (especially if exclusive) and having Drake turning up with BBK would be pretty huge. As well as a 'triumph' for grime, headlining a festival like R&L. Definitely see both Tame and Wolf Alice being coheadliner size by then too.

Probs would be a bit weaker, but if they can hype it up successfully the next itd deffs sell. Throw in some decent subs too to make it a bit stronger. 

• Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah maybe Kanye instead of BBK would make it stronger.

However, getting MCR on their reunion (especially if exclusive) and having Drake turning up with BBK would be pretty huge. As well as a 'triumph' for grime, headlining a festival like R&L. Definitely see both Tame and Wolf Alice being coheadliner size by then too.

Probs would be a bit weaker, but if they can hype it up successfully the next itd deffs sell. Throw in some decent subs too to make it a bit stronger. 

An MCR reunion would be a good booking but it would hardly be a massive headliner, and Drake turning up with BBK would obviously go down brilliantly but it wouldn't be advertised in advance and so they wouldn't sell tickets through that.

49 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

5a1c173893d1d_ScreenShot2017-11-27at13_45_26.thumb.png.42d3ee1f317898929d4105277d85c650.png

I doubt Catfish will sub in 2019. Reckon this year they'll headline Latitude and maybe sub R&L alongside it, but after the Latitude set will be looking to headline R&L on their following album, and subbing in 2019 would probably harm their chances.

So yeah:

2018 - new album and headline Latitude (and maybe sub R&L)

2019 - not at R&L (maybe do a Royal Blood and play a decent slot at Glasto or something)

2020 - headline R&L if a new album is out and big enough

Probably looking too far into the future with the 2020 stuff but I just can't see how subbing R&L in 2019 would fit in unless it becomes apparent that they're never gonna make it to headline status.

18 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I doubt Catfish will sub in 2019. Reckon this year they'll headline Latitude and maybe sub R&L alongside it, but after the Latitude set will be looking to headline R&L on their following album, and subbing in 2019 would probably harm their chances.

So yeah:

2018 - new album and headline Latitude (and maybe sub R&L)

2019 - not at R&L (maybe do a Royal Blood and play a decent slot at Glasto or something)

2020 - headline R&L if a new album is out and big enough

Probably looking too far into the future with the 2020 stuff but I just can't see how subbing R&L in 2019 would fit in unless it becomes apparent that they're never gonna make it to headline status.

That would mean BMTH and Catfish as fresh headliners in 2020 and I don't think they would do that tbh. I could see something like a Catfish coheadlining with a different act that year (Maybe Chance or Skepta/BBK?).