2019 festival

17 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

In that case, this year is definitely a steaming turd. 

This is true. Still, I like to think that this year is a complete accident and even Melvin sees it as a total write off. Optimistic view.

Anyway I meant there'd probably be someone heavy and I refuse to accept that 21 Pilots are the heavy headliner. I do agree that it's a strong set.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

In that case, this year is definitely a steaming turd. 

I don't see much in it tbh but I do at least old FOB and old KOL whereas I only care Arctics on the 2019....which I'm fairly confident won't happen due to Glasto grabbing them. I reckon an arena tour and Glasto is the likely outcome for them with IOW maybe getting them. I'd not be shocked by a choice of two of the others, BMTH and GD or RHCP again.

19 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I don't see much in it tbh but I do at least old FOB and old KOL whereas I only care Arctics on the 2019....which I'm fairly confident won't happen due to Glasto grabbing them. I reckon an arena tour and Glasto is the likely outcome for them with IOW maybe getting them. I'd not be shocked by a choice of two of the others, BMTH and GD or RHCP again.

Considering the headliners that IOW has had the past couple of years and now generally weak the lineups have got, could they afford to have AM? 

29 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Twenty One Pilots + Stormzy / CHVRCHES / Everything Everything 

Circa Waves 

The 1975 / Vampire Weekend / A$AP Rocky 

Bullet For My Valentine 

Arctic Monkeys / Catfish and the Bottlemen / You Me At Six 

Marshmello  

Definitely don't see Bullet doing that. Maybe Parkway if they're on arenas, but they'd both get a pitiful crowd.

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

Definitely don't see Bullet doing that. Maybe Parkway if they're on arenas, but they'd both get a pitiful crowd.

Bullet was just a random suggestion in the vein of Bizkit and possibly Sum 41 headlining that stage as in band way past their prime being given that slot :P 

On 2/15/2018 at 11:49 AM, FluxFestivals said:

The 1975

Bring Me The Horizon

Arctic Monkeys

Best shout of the three for me, but very much depends on whether BMTH carry across TSS hype. Other two clearly will be fine as headliners, but Mr Sykes and his motley crew may have significantly dropped off.

Will be helped if they can have a lead off single that does as good business as Throne or Drown.

I really can't see 21P headline or co-headline. Decent sub though. I didn't like their set at Leeds two years ago, maybe I was too far back or was expecting something better but that has no affect of where they will be positioned.

I must be out of the loop as I like a lot of their songs.

***where I think they should be positioned***

Edited by Bisque

Think there's a decent chance that Glastonbury will get The 1975 in 2019 which would make them less likely for R&L.

Glasto: The 1975, Arctic Monkeys, Madonna
R&L: BMTH/21 Pilots, Kanye West, Foals
Download: ADTR, Slipknot, Metallica
IoW: Florence & the Machine / The Prodigy, U2, The Strokes
TRNSMT: Florence & the Machine, Muse, Foals
BST: The Smashing Pumpkins, Snow Patrol, Paolo Nutini, Drake, Elton John

Edit: thinking about it maybe Paolo would be more likely for TNSMT if he's around.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Think there's a decent chance that Glastonbury will get The 1975 in 2019 which would make them less likely for R&L.

Edit: thinking about it maybe Paolo would be more likely for TNSMT if he's around.

Aye I was originally thinking Foals at Glasto and The 1975 at R&L because of R&L seemingly being more ready to take punts on new headliners than Glasto. But tbh I think Foals in the same situation as Biffy were by 2016 and aren't gonna quite make it to Glasto headline status. The 1975 I would expect to be hotter property than Foals by next Summer.

If that nugget about BMTH having an arena tour embargoed until after R&L is true then I could defo see a secret set this year followed by headlining next year, and a co-headline with 21P makes a lot of sense.

Think you probably need Muse somewhere in England. IOW or BST would snap them up I'm sure.

Was about to bring up Foals actually and whether they're more likely for 2019 or 2020. Looking at their stage setup evolve over the years I'd say it's definitely the type of set to close a night and regardless if whether this album is a success or not they should be headlining these big festivals outright, especially with FoB this year it'd be an insult to suggest they're not good enough. 

Having both 1975 and Foals in the same year would be class but doesn't make sense really so I'd definitely expect them to have one year and another the year after. Fully expect 1975 to do it next year with glasto the year after then a stadium maybe after prior to their hiatus or whatever they're doing. 

49 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Was about to bring up Foals actually and whether they're more likely for 2019 or 2020. Looking at their stage setup evolve over the years I'd say it's definitely the type of set to close a night and regardless if whether this album is a success or not they should be headlining these big festivals outright, especially with FoB this year it'd be an insult to suggest they're not good enough. 

Having both 1975 and Foals in the same year would be class but doesn't make sense really so I'd definitely expect them to have one year and another the year after. Fully expect 1975 to do it next year with glasto the year after then a stadium maybe after prior to their hiatus or whatever they're doing. 

I know I often contest people who bang on about anniversary years etc. but the only time in recent memory Glastonbury has booked a headliner on their second Summer touring an album here was Muse in 2016, who are pretty much a Glastonbury house band and are obviously one of the most reliable headliners you can get. I don't see Glastonbury, on their 50th anniversary, having The 1975 as headliners a year after R&L have had the same set as one of their headline acts.

I think The 1975 will headline Glasto either in 2019 or on the following album.

In the last few years Glastonbury has only tended to book the absolute megastars as its headliners, too, with the last 9 acts booked for the slot being Ed Sheeran, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Coldplay, Adele, Muse, The Who, Kanye West, Foo Fighters. I'm not sure if I can see them giving The 1975 the leg up in 2019 but I think it's more likely than them having them a year after R&L. Guess it depends on whether they see the next 1975 album boosting them to megastar status or not.

2 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I see the Pumpkins at APE rather than BST, they really don't suit the other headliners.

1 hour ago, Chinaski_ said:

I see the Pumpkins at APE rather than BST, they really don't suit the other headliners.

Think it’s abour a 50% difference in capacity, which is the biggest factor. Like The Cure and their supporting bill would have suited APE better than Catfish.

I think the Pumpkins’ appearances next year probably hinge considerably on the shows they play here before then. APE Presents seems about the least they could do so probably a safe enough bet.

Should be interesting to see what APE can rustle up next year. Vampire Weekend and Portishead seem like good possibilities for the festival, with Smashing Pumpkins and Bon Iver the following weekend? Probably gonna start to impact Glastonbury, sadly.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Should be interesting to see what APE can rustle up next year. Vampire Weekend and Portishead seem like good possibilities for the festival, with Smashing Pumpkins and Bon Iver the following weekend? Probably gonna start to impact Glastonbury, sadly.

Yeah I've been thinking Vampire Weekend and Portishead are two good shouts as well, maybe Tame Impala if they've got a new album out before summer?

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah I've been thinking Vampire Weekend and Portishead are two good shouts as well, maybe Tame Impala if they've got a new album out before summer?

It’s pretty unlikely. Kevin’s not even started on a new album - he’s technically only just finished Currents, what with the bonus tracks they threw out in November.

I think he’s been more into producing and collaborating recently. They’re gonna end up going the way of Portishead and releasing an album every decade from now on.

15 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah that's what I initially had down to happen, but I reckon they'll be bigger than Foals were in 2016 when they come back so dunno if I still think that would happen.

They're bigger than Foals were in 2016 now, and they're not even doing owt. But regardless of that, if they're not gonna headline Glastonbury then they would be fools not to at least play, especially if it's just to be outright headliners at a dual festival with a rapidly declining status. I think Foals were pretty astute in playing a huge show on the Pyramid and headlining Reading in the same summer - two massive shows for the television audiences right there.

12 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Added some other fests to this list cos I'm bored as fuck. Obvs dunno if TRNSMT will continue to be a 5 day thing or go back to the 1 weekend. Similarly with APE, dunno if they'll do the 'APE Presents' thing next year with more competition from Glastonbury, but I've assumed they will.

R&L: Bring Me the Horizon / Twenty One Pilots, Kanye West, Foals
Download: A Day to Remember, Slipknot, Metallica
TRNSMT: Florence & the Machine, Foals, Snow Patrol, Paolo Nutini, Biffy Clyro
Latitude: Frank Ocean, Kings of Leon, Chvrches
New V: Bastille, Drake, Major Lazer
Wireless: A$AP Rocky, Travis Scott, Boy Better Know
BST: The Smashing Pumpkins, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Justin Timberlake, Muse, Beyoncé
APE: Jack White, Portishead, Vampire Weekend, Ben Howard, Pixies, Disclosure
Parklife: Florence & the Machine, Childish Gambino