2019 festival

38 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I think BMTH and MCR have enough of a mainstream following so that it's not necessary devoting a full day to them, but I think they would give Slipknot something similar to Metallica

Problem with that is Metallica day sold really well while the whole weekend didn't.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If 21P aren't at R&L in 2019 where could they also play? The new V maybe? I feel like R&L is their most likely fest but they'd wanna book The 1975 over them and doubt they'd have both unless they coheadlined, which I can't really see happening tbh.

Could probably get away with both headlining outright based on the size they're about to be, but they might each be too divisive for that. Maybe they'd just do their own arena tour in 2019 and headline 2020.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Could probably get away with both headlining outright based on the size they're about to be, but they might each be too divisive for that. Maybe they'd just do their own arena tour in 2019 and headline 2020.

aye that's what I'm thinking, they'd both be big enough but it'd cause too much uproar

On 12/01/2018 at 3:19 PM, SomeoneListeningIn said:

aye that's what I'm thinking, they'd both be big enough but it'd cause too much uproar

If people are wondering whether Royal Blood are big enough now, I’m not sure how 21P are big enough. I understand The 1975 as the “smaller” headliner next year given they’re British and R&L gives a bump to up and coming British bands. But 21P seem quite far off headliner status for now. 

Changing my prediction to BMTH, Kanye, The 1975.

BMTH should definitely have an album out before the end of this year, and the only way I could see R&L not giving them the bump up to headliners in 2019 would be if Download get them as exclusives.

Kanye should also have an album out and thus hopefully be touring again. (Currently) his last show in the UK was Glasto 2015, so it would be a really good booking for the festival if they get him as an exclusive. Also struggling to think of a 'big' act to play in 2019 (Arctics and Green Day are the other main contenders) but I'd say Kanye comfortably fits that quota.

Can't see The 1975 not headlining in 2019. They just seem like dead certs, will be really shocked if they aren't booked (unless of course Glasto get them, but I doubt it).

The only issue there is that that'd be 3 new headliners. Although tbf BMTH and The 1975 are regulars at the festival so they probably wouldn't have issue bumping them up.

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Kanye should also have an album out and thus hopefully be touring again. (Currently) his last show in the UK was Glasto 2015, so it would be a really good booking for the festival if they get him as an exclusive.

R&L booking the two best headliners they possibly could in consecutive years, get it done.

(I've given up hope on them booking the likes of Radiohead and Pearl Jam)

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

R&L booking the two best headliners they possibly could in consecutive years, get it done.

(I've given up hope on them booking the likes of Radiohead and Pearl Jam)

Only issue is that would mean they'd have had Eminem, Kendrick and Kanye as headliners in consecutive years - they might be a bit reluctant to having 3 hip hop headliners in a row.

Then again, given how popular hip hop is right now they might purposely go in that direction. As you say, Kendrick and Kanye in consecutive years would likely be the best realistically conceivable headliners they could get.

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Only issue is that would mean they'd have had Eminem, Kendrick and Kanye as headliners in consecutive years - they might be a bit reluctant to having 3 hip hop headliners in a row.

Then again, given how popular hip hop is right now they might purposely go in that direction. As you say, Kendrick and Kanye in consecutive years would likely be the best realistically conceivable headliners they could get.

I don't think it'd bother them, really. Lots of people suggested they'd have seen how well the major hip-hop acts went down last year and go for another hip-hop headliner this year (mostly suggesting Kendrick/Drake). I think Kendrick will probably get the best response of any act this year (if he ends up playing) and people will be saying the same thing again come August. Right now I think there's only really Kanye/Drake they'd book to headline after Eminem/Kendrick, so it isn't a definite that they'll even have the option of a hip-hop headliner if neither of them are touring, but if they are I don't think they'd pass them up.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

I don't think it'd bother them, really. Lots of people suggested they'd have seen how well the major hip-hop acts went down last year and go for another hip-hop headliner this year (mostly suggesting Kendrick/Drake). I think Kendrick will probably get the best response of any act this year (if he ends up playing) and people will be saying the same thing again come August. Right now I think there's only really Kanye/Drake they'd book to headline after Eminem/Kendrick, so it isn't a definite that they'll even have the option of a hip-hop headliner if neither of them are touring, but if they are I don't think they'd pass them up.

Could definitely see BBK/Skepta or Stormzy being (co)headliners in the next few years. Maybe A$AP Rocky or Post Malone too if they continue their upwards trajectory. But yeah you're probably right, other than the names you mentioned there's not really any other massive hip hop headliners the festival would book as headliners right now.

Well, if you think about it we can easily get one non-rock headliner if they really want to. And this is assuming we don't get someone else huge blow up. Something like:

2018 - Kendrick

2019 - Kanye

2020 - Drake

2021 - Disclosure (full headline this time?)

2022 - BBK

2023 - Eminem again

Would they book 3 completely new headliners for one year? I mean Kanye is established but 1975 and BMTH aren't as of yet so could be seen as a risky move by FR. Saying that I guess you could suggest the same about 2016 being similar.

Edit: By established I mean headlining festivals worldwide for numerous years. Both 1975 + BMTH are top bands who deserve those spots I'm just not sure they'd have them in the same year unless BMTH started headlining fests this year. 

Edited by MIchael_scarn

58 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Would they book 3 completely new headliners for one year? I mean Kanye is established but 1975 and BMTH aren't as of yet so could be seen as a risky move by FR. Saying that I guess you could suggest the same about 2016 being similar.

Edit: By established I mean headlining festivals worldwide for numerous years. Both 1975 + BMTH are top bands who deserve those spots I'm just not sure they'd have them in the same year unless BMTH started headlining fests this year. 

Aye I'm not sure if they would book 3 acts that have never headlined the festival before, but as you say Kanye is the most established act of the three and then The 1975 and BMTH have both played the fest so much that they'd be inclined to give them headline slots. The 1975 will be one of the biggest bands in the world with the release of their next album anyway. If anything, Kanye would be the riskiest booking considering his reputation of massive rants in his live performances. If I had to make a change I'd probably swap him with Green Day.

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Aye I'm not sure if they would book 3 acts that have never headlined the festival before, but as you say Kanye is the most established act of the three and then The 1975 and BMTH have both played the fest so much that they'd be inclined to give them headline slots. The 1975 will be one of the biggest bands in the world with the release of their next album anyway. If anything, Kanye would be the riskiest booking considering his reputation of massive rants in his live performances. If I had to make a change I'd probably swap him with Green Day.

Personally, I'd swap Green Day (or maybe MCR reunion?) in for BMTH, who would headline Download in 2019 and then do Reading 2020. That would leave 2020 to be BMTH // Arctics // Rapper which imo seems pretty reasonable (tbh by that point could even be a coheadline with Chance or someone else who blows up by then).

Edited by Mattymooz