2019 festival

50 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I would say that 2019 is too soon for them to be back but then Biffy came back after 3 years so it's not out of the question. 2020 is probably more probable though but it all depends on how long they tour/how this album does etc.

Agreed. What Went Down gave them a deserved headline slot - but I don't feel that it necessarily broke them big. Much like Biffy with Opposites, it felt like a consolidation/plateau of sorts from the prior record, like they've hit the glass ceiling. Feel you'd need the new album at least match if not shift more than WWD to hand them an outright headline slot.

Would love to see them get a chance at the top again - though wouldn't necessarily want it at the expense of someone either stronger or making the step up themselves.

11 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Agreed. What Went Down gave them a deserved headline slot - but I don't feel that it necessarily broke them big. Much like Biffy with Opposites, it felt like a consolidation/plateau of sorts from the prior record, like they've hit the glass ceiling. Feel you'd need the new album at least match if not shift more than WWD to hand them an outright headline slot.

Would love to see them get a chance at the top again - though wouldn't necessarily want it at the expense of someone either stronger or making the step up themselves.

Would agree about WWD failing to move things on from Holy Fire but I feel really quite confident about their next album's success, personally. Taking the Glastonbury sub slot initially looked as if it sold them short and compromised their headline status in 2016 but it might turn out an inspired choice as it came across well on telly and in some ways shifted the focus to them when Reading came around a couple of months later.

They have that kind of underdog thing about them in that they're this young indie band that managed to stick around and break into the headline slots so I see a lot of younger peeps being attached to that, and as they've been gabbing about how they were rushed on WWD and are ready to mix things up on the next album, I think it stands that they can reinvigorate some interest from maybe the older/disenfranchised fans too.

Reckon these are the most likely names for 2019. Tried to somewhat order them from most to least likely, and those in bold would be coheadliners rather than outright. Feel free to suggest anyone I've missed out.

The 1975
Arctic Monkeys
Bring Me The Horizon
Green Day
Florence & the Machine
Boy Better Know
Catfish & the Bottlemen
Chvrches

Kanye West
Drake
Queens of the Stone Age
Foals
Blink-182
The Strokes
My Chemical Romance
Metallica
Biffy Clyro
Slipknot
Blur

Edit: plus Tame Impala or Imagine Dragons, both as potential coheadliners too

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

13 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Reckon these are the most likely names for 2019. Tried to somewhat order them from most to least likely, and those in bold would be coheadliners rather than outright. Feel free to suggest anyone I've missed out.

The 1975
Arctic Monkeys
Bring Me The Horizon
Green Day
Florence & the Machine
Boy Better Know
Catfish & the Bottlemen
Chvrches

Kanye West
Drake
Queens of the Stone Age
Foals
Blink-182
The Stokes
My Chemical Romance
Metallica
Biffy Clyro
Slipknot
Blur

You think BBK would be more likely to outright headline than co-headline?

14 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

The 1975
Arctic Monkeys
Bring Me The Horizon
Green Day
Florence & the Machine
Boy Better Know
Catfish & the Bottlemen
Chvrches

Kanye West
Drake
Queens of the Stone Age
Foals
Blink-182
The Stokes
My Chemical Romance
Metallica
Biffy Clyro
Slipknot
Blur

DL9wgFvX4AIZu2e.jpg

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

You think BBK would be more likely to outright headline than co-headline?

I reckon so yeah, Skepta would probably have another album by then, maybe JME too. Drake could potentially be involved as well. They could be either a strong coheadliner or a weaker outright headliner I reckon.

2 minutes ago, stanh said:

This isn't based on anything, just personal taste and I do think I've placed CHVRCHES and NERD maybe a little low, however, I would be interested to hear what others think! 

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 17.07.53.png

DL9wgFvX4AIZu2e.jpg

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

I've not seen the film or whatever that's from but "uh-huh" can mean yes/no/I don't understand so this is fucking me.

Never seen it before either tbf. I was taking it as sarcasm by the expression on his face tbf. I really don't have a clue to be fair I'm just interpreting it in that way haha.

18 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Would agree about WWD failing to move things on from Holy Fire but I feel really quite confident about their next album's success, personally. Taking the Glastonbury sub slot initially looked as if it sold them short and compromised their headline status in 2016 but it might turn out an inspired choice as it came across well on telly and in some ways shifted the focus to them when Reading came around a couple of months later.

They have that kind of underdog thing about them in that they're this young indie band that managed to stick around and break into the headline slots so I see a lot of younger peeps being attached to that, and as they've been gabbing about how they were rushed on WWD and are ready to mix things up on the next album, I think it stands that they can reinvigorate some interest from maybe the older/disenfranchised fans too.

Touch wood.

15 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

If BMTH/ MCR/ Slupknot headlined, would they bring back the 'heavy day' or 'metal Sunday'?

Could see something like

Headliner / ADTR / Babymetal / Parkway Drive / While She Sleeps / Pop punk band

Could see it being something like:

BMTH / ADTR / ASAP Rocky / Architects / Sum 41 / The Amazons / Creeper / Darlia / Redfaces

Still has variety but on the whole it is a lot heavier. Dont think theyll go hardcore 100% metal again.

Was about to say metal and rock are too out of favour at the moment for them to give its an entire day on the main stage, but the Metallica day in '15 was exactly that so I guess if the headliner fits they're open to it (although Metallica probably attracted a bigger metal crowd than any of the above, or any other realistic headliner they could get).

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Was about to say metal and rock are too out of favour at the moment for them to give its an entire day on the main stage, but the Metallica day in '15 was exactly that so I guess if the headliner fits they're open to it (although Metallica probably attracted a bigger metal crowd than any of the above, or any other realistic headliner they could get).

I think BMTH and MCR have enough of a mainstream following so that it's not necessary devoting a full day to them, but I think they would give Slipknot something similar to Metallica