2019 festival

27 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Friday

Main: The 1975, Chvrches, Bombay Bicycle Club, Cage the Elephant, Pale Waves, The Sherlocks, Cabbage
NME: Run the Jewels, Zack de la Rocha, Bugzy Malone, Death Grips

Saturday

Main: Kanye West, Tame Impala, Tyler the Creator, Charli xcx, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes
NME: The Hunna, Sundara Karma, RAT BOY, Courtney Barnett

Sunday

Main: My Chemical Romance, Jack White, Giggs, Neck Deep, While She Sleeps, Creeper
NME: Jamie xx, Grimes

You accidentally wrote a good lineup try again please my man.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

I do know a man who would go back on all of his promises never to return for Tame Impala into Kanye West.

Where's all the MCR speculation coming from? Did I miss something or...?

Just seem like the types to reunite after five years off I guess. They’re all still pals and their separate post-MCR projects will barely keep their pools heated.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Just seem like the types to reunite after five years off I guess. They’re all still pals and their separate post-MCR projects will barely keep their pools heated.

I'd have thought Gerard would be too wrapped up with his Netflix adaptation.

Mind you, opening a set with Fake Your Death would be an apt way to signal their "return" at least.

8 minutes ago, stanh said:

Main:  Sweedish House Mafia / U2 / Queen & Adam Lambert / 

NME: Twenty One Piolots/ The Kooks / Paloma Faith / 

Main: Skepta / Thirty Seconds To Mars / the xx

NME: Travis $cott / Vince Staples / Lily Allen

Main: Daft Punk / The Weeknd / Catfish & The Bottlemen 

NME: Stormzy / Elbow / Kygo

yeah decent shouts, wouldn't be too surprised to see something similar to this. maybe swap Jeff Buckley with Twenty One Pilots so there's something a bit different but apart from that looks really good.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

I'd have thought Gerard would be too wrapped up with his Netflix adaptation.

Mind you, opening a set with Fake Your Death would be an apt way to signal their "return" at least.

2019 would be the anniversary of Three Cheers too, wouldn't it? Not sure if you could sell an anniversary set on that though. Black Parade, yup. Three Cheers, probably not for the current R+L demographic on a wide scale.

33 minutes ago, stanh said:

Main:  Sweedish House Mafia / U2 / Queen & Adam Lambert / 

NME: Twenty One Piolots/ The Kooks / Paloma Faith / 

Main: Skepta / Thirty Seconds To Mars / the xx

NME: Travis $cott / Vince Staples / Lily Allen

Main: Daft Punk / The Weeknd / Catfish & The Bottlemen 

NME: Stormzy / Elbow / Kygo

Lay off the life.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

2019 would be the anniversary of Three Cheers too, wouldn't it? Not sure if you could sell an anniversary set on that though. Black Parade, yup. Three Cheers, probably not for the current R+L demographic on a wide scale.

Three Cheers came out in 2004. 

MCR wouldn’t have played in the UK for 8 years by the time 2019 rolls around. They hype will be massive when they eventually do come back. I can’t wait. 

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Three Cheers came out in 2004. 

MCR wouldn’t have played in the UK for 8 years by the time 2019 rolls around. They hype will be massive when they eventually do come back. I can’t wait. 

15th Anniversary, bang on.

And I'm honestly unsure on the hype. Think when they come back, it will be headline bookings or nothing, and the frenzied coverage of The Black Parade re-release speculating a reunion does point to it; but there's a niggling part of me that has the sense they won't. Depends entirely on the purpose of reunion; to tour three rather stellar albums, that'll do good business. A new record though? Could see that going a bit the way of the Libertines - 30k impact seller and sinks without a trace.

I thought MCR didnt end on good terms they were developing an album and I thought they broke up due to tension and something surround Mikey Way's personal life. cant remember tho

edit: i just looked this up and was completely wrong, appaz was no ones fault and it was time to split, still dont see them reuniting as the main reason for splitting was because the band had gone on too long. Apparently

Edited by ace56blaa
Correction to info

Back on the SOAD thing... looks like Serj is more up for it than the previous interview suggested

http://www.nme.com/news/music/system-of-a-down-new-music-album-update-2182106

Still not a lot of progress on the new album, but it at least seems like it's still something they're (including Serj) trying to get on track.

Seems like there’ll be a few more years of back and forth like that.

On a 2019 prediction ting: QOTSA have got to be likely for this one haven’t they? They generally play loads of festivals so I assume they’ll still be around in 2019 to swing by the ones they couldn’t in 2018, and obviously the great relationship with the festival and it being a reasonable five years since the last time.

36 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

On a 2019 prediction ting: QOTSA have got to be likely for this one haven’t they? They generally play loads of festivals so I assume they’ll still be around in 2019 to swing by the ones they couldn’t in 2018, and obviously the great relationship with the festival and it being a reasonable five years since the last time.

Aye not a bad shout.

As has been mentioned, there doesn't seem to be loads of options for a 'big' rock headliner in 2019. I guess Green is the best shout right now. If it turned out to be something like The 1975, Green Day, QOTSA then you'd hope they'd be able to get some decent subs in i.e. Chvrches, Tame Impala, Jack White, even Catfish (not to say they're decent, but would be a big sub). I'd prefer them to do that than have 3 big headliners with shit subs i.e. 2017.

Another outside shout could be Metallica. Aware they may never play the festival again but if they're struggling for a big headliner and they're around then I don't think it's out of the question.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Another outside shout could be Metallica. Aware they may never play the festival again but if they're struggling for a big headliner and they're around then I don't think it's out of the question.

Although I was saying the same about 2018, they must be an almost certainty for Download 2019 now after having missed it for so long. 

• 2 weeks later...

Foals announced this morning that Walter Gervers (Bass guitarist and backing vocalist) has left the band which as huge fan is quite saddening for me as I can honestly say he was one of the greatest bass players I've had the honour of watching live, quietly brilliant is how I'd describe him and I wish him the very best in the future. 

The main point I wanted to bring up however is that they announced their 5th album is currently being recorded but doesn't state when it will be released. 2019 could be the earliest they are available for R+L again and I feel like them headlining the festival outright is the next logical step for them. 2020 would probably be more likely I feel but ultimately I guess we'll have to see how this album does and whether they change their direction again due to Walt leaving. Thoughts?

Edited by MIchael_scarn

Just now, MIchael_scarn said:

Foals announced this morning that Walter Gervers (Bass guitarist and backing vocalist) has left the band which as huge fan is quite saddening for me as I can honestly say he was one of the greatest bass players I've had the honour of watching live, quietly brilliant is how I'd describe him and I wish him the very best in the future. 

The main point I wanted to bring up however is that they announced their 5th album is being currently being recorded but doesn't state when it will be released. 2019 could be the earliest they are available for R+L again and I feel like them headlining the festival outright is the next logical step for them. 2020 would probably be more likely I feel but ultimately I guess we'll have to see how this album does and whether they change their direction again due to Walt leaving. Thoughts?

I would say that 2019 is too soon for them to be back but then Biffy came back after 3 years so it's not out of the question. 2020 is probably more probable though but it all depends on how long they tour/how this album does etc.