2019 festival

28 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

As said, that was before this year's festival and before Foo Fighters were clearly nailed on for this year. No one is predicting them now.

Oh shit yeah should have looked at the date!! Thanks I was worried there coz I’m desperate for the Foos in 2018

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Would it be too soon for Biffy to return again? Would be 3 years, same gap that they had last time, but it'd be getting a bit gimmicky having them headline so soon again.

The 1975, Kanye, Biffy

They should be in the mix as long as they headline outright this time.

6 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Would it be too soon for Biffy to return again? Would be 3 years, same gap that they had last time, but it'd be getting a bit gimmicky having them headline so soon again.

The 1975, Kanye, Biffy

Definitely. I like them but it would be an embarrassingly shit booking

44 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The peak of their popularity was 2013. That isn't almost ten years ago :P 

Think he was getting at the fact that Only Revolutions was by far their most popular album and therefor their peak popularity wise -  they may have headlined in 2013 but it was off the back of Only Revolutions popularity that they got to that position. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Think he was getting at the fact that Only Revolutions was by far their most popular album and therefor their peak popularity wise -  they may have headlined in 2013 but it was off the back of Only Revolutions popularity that they got to that position. 

They were probably booked to that effect but Opposites did tidy business too. Feel 2013 was their peak as a live pull. 

Serj: "Screw vocals. I'm tired of it ... I wrote so many lyrics that it stopped to be interesting. Not because there is nothing I want to talk or sing about. Sure there are topics I don’t want to write lyrics to but at least I can pull out some new emotions out of it. Poetry is always something that opens yourself up and supports self-determination. I just did it for too long. Now I am more interested in writing instrumental pieces of music."

:(

3 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

They were probably booked to that effect but Opposites did tidy business too. Feel 2013 was their peak as a live pull. 

Probably was, because they were headlining arenas and festivals and there were massive opportunities to see them. But, while it was reasonably successful still, you couldn’t attribute that to Opposites. They were probably the biggest band among young people in Britain around 2009/10, had a bunch of chart hits and one of their songs had a Christmas No. 1.

I feel like they have their early fans, and their peak era fans and then that’s it - nobody is going to see them in hopes that they play Pocket - and each of those groups have seen them Reading headline set twice now. Glastonbury sub slot is a sign of what’s to come surely, I can’t see what they’ll get from having them headline again.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Probably was, because they were headlining arenas and festivals and there were massive opportunities to see them. But, while it was reasonably successful still, you couldn’t attribute that to Opposites. They were probably the biggest band among young people in Britain around 2009/10, had a bunch of chart hits and one of their songs had a Christmas No. 1.

I feel like they have their early fans, and their peak era fans and then that’s it - nobody is going to see them in hopes that they play Pocket - and each of those groups have seen them Reading headline set twice now. Glastonbury sub slot is a sign of what’s to come surely, I can’t see what they’ll get from having them headline again.

Sorry to disappoint both you and myself Dental, but I'd totally see them for Pocket. :P

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Serj: "Screw vocals. I'm tired of it ... I wrote so many lyrics that it stopped to be interesting. Not because there is nothing I want to talk or sing about. Sure there are topics I don’t want to write lyrics to but at least I can pull out some new emotions out of it. Poetry is always something that opens yourself up and supports self-determination. I just did it for too long. Now I am more interested in writing instrumental pieces of music."

:(

When SOAD were announced for Download this year I was sure a new album was coming but as time goes on it's becoming more apparent that the reunion is just a paycheck for Serj (not that it didn't look like that initially...) Shame as I was looking forward to seeing if they still had it in them. Maybe he'll come around sometime.

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

When SOAD were announced for Download this year I was sure a new album was coming but as time goes on it's becoming more apparent that the reunion is just a paycheck for Serj (not that it didn't look like that initially...) Shame as I was looking forward to seeing if they still had it in them. Maybe he'll come around sometime.

I guess that's still the aim or else they'd have split up again by now. Like I think it was known three or four years ago that Serj wasn't into doing new stuff but they've continued writing and developing songs without him nonetheless.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I guess that's still the aim or else they'd have split up again by now. Like I think it was known three or four years ago that Serj wasn't into doing new stuff but they've continued writing and developing songs without him nonetheless.

They seemed pretty positive about a new album/Serj being up for it a year or so ago and even mentioned 2017 as a time of release, but guess it just never materialised. Hard to imagine they'll be able to milk the touring the old material thing for much longer, if at all, so curious to see where the band go from here. Toxicity anniversary shows in a couple of years time maybe... or just break up again.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

They seemed pretty positive about a new album/Serj being up for it a year or so ago and even mentioned 2017 as a time of release, but guess it just never materialised. Hard to imagine they'll be able to milk the touring the old material thing for much longer, if at all, so curious to see where the band go from here. Toxicity anniversary shows in a couple of years time maybe... or just break up again.

Did they say Serj was up for it in the lead up? What I was saying - or trying to say - was that the band have kept going this far trying to get a new album going even with Serj dragging his feet so I don't think it's just gonna slide off the table now. As you say there's no tread left in their reunion without new material so if it was completely off then I think the band would be over.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Did they say Serj was up for it in the lead up? What I was saying - or trying to say - was that the band have kept going this far trying to get a new album going even with Serj dragging his feet so I don't think it's just gonna slide off the table now. As you say there's no tread left in their reunion without new material so if it was completely off then I think the band would be over.

Hmm I thought they had but maybe they just mentioned that they had new material and I assumed it included input from Serj. Guess they'll just go dormant for a while until they get a definite answer about him wanting to do it or not. Not so on board with the band continuing with a new vocalist idea that Shavo mentioned - I get that they want to continue with the band, but I can't imagine SOAD without Serj.

On 10/12/2017 at 12:52 PM, Steve1000 said:

If they release an album without Serj I'm happy - better than nothing. Don't think it will happen though

If they release an album without Serj then hopefully it's as Scars On Broadway again (obviously with Shavo added). They had some cool songs tbf but it's not SOAD without Serj and I don't think they should use the name.

Friday

Main: The 1975, Chvrches, Bombay Bicycle Club, Cage the Elephant, Pale Waves, The Sherlocks, Cabbage
NME: Run the Jewels, Zack de la Rocha, Bugzy Malone, Death Grips

Saturday

Main: Kanye West, Tame Impala, Tyler the Creator, Charli xcx, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes
NME: The Hunna, Sundara Karma, RAT BOY, Courtney Barnett

Sunday

Main: My Chemical Romance, Jack White, Giggs, Neck Deep, While She Sleeps, Creeper
NME: Jamie xx, Grimes

• Like 1