Accommodation in Frome

pie_and_a_pint

Not Glasto-related, but I know there are a few locals on here who might be able to help. I'm booking tickets for a gig at the Cheese and Grain on a Saturday night in November (Jon Boden and the Remnant Kings, if anyone's interested), and I'm going to need to stay over on the Saturday night. Any recommendations for anywhere good to stay (and anywhere to avoid?) I'll be arriving by train but would prefer to be close to the C&G so I can walk back to the hotel straight after the gig. Thanks in advance!

23 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Not Glasto-related, but I know there are a few locals on here who might be able to help. I'm booking tickets for a gig at the Cheese and Grain on a Saturday night in November (Jon Boden and the Remnant Kings, if anyone's interested), and I'm going to need to stay over on the Saturday night. Any recommendations for anywhere good to stay (and anywhere to avoid?) I'll be arriving by train but would prefer to be close to the C&G so I can walk back to the hotel straight after the gig. Thanks in advance!

Pretty sure @parsonjack lives there..... :)

4 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

Pretty sure @parsonjack lives there..... :)

Yup :D

Depends a bit on budget and what you like but the best options are.....all within 5 mins walk of C&G....

The George Hotel - big Wadworth brewery pile in middle of town....decent beer/food....recent refurbished rooms in annex above Fat Face next door.

The Archangel - pricey boutique bar/hotel/restaurant....quirky rooms with murals and copper freestanding baths etc

The Cornerhouse - small hotel/bar/restaurant just outside town centre....recently refurbished kitchens....handful of nice modern rooms upstairs

There is also a Premier Inn attached to the 'Frome Flyer' pub on the ringroad outside town.....usual rooms etc....taxi or car ride into town though.

Nowhere in particular to avoid but there are better pubs than others.....Archangel and The Three Swans (landlady is called Helen....) in King St are both good, the George Hotel is usually busy with locals, then there's a new bar opposite the cinema called Brewed Boy that has a big craft ale/cider range, Sam's Kitchen up Catherine Hill is smart with a great food menu.  The Griffin is a short walk from town but is home to Milk St Brewery and is often busy at weekends.  The Sun Inn further up Catherine Hill and The Blue Boar by the bridge in town are best left to another time tbh.....

Hope you have a good visit.  Ping me if you need anymore info.

Edited by parsonjack

Thanks so much @parsonjack that's brilliant. We really like the look of the Cornerhouse so I think I'm going to book that as it'll be a nice treat (usually stick to Premier Inn / Travelodge :) ).

Ta for the pub / bar recommendations as well. Sounds like I might need my drinking trousers on, but for a rousing singalong Jon Boden gig it seems appropriate to be slightly tipsy :D 

Many thanks again!

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

11 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Sure you'll have no problems booking somewhere this far in advance but if you get stuck Airbnb is great for cheap rooms pretty much anywhere.

I'm always a bit wary of Air BnB, I'll be honest. In this instance I've booked a (bargain) B&B through Booking.com.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2017 at 7:31 PM, parsonjack said:

Yup :D

Depends a bit on budget and what you like but the best options are.....all within 5 mins walk of C&G....

The George Hotel - big Wadworth brewery pile in middle of town....decent beer/food....recent refurbished rooms in annex above Fat Face next door.

The Archangel - pricey boutique bar/hotel/restaurant....quirky rooms with murals and copper freestanding baths etc

The Cornerhouse - small hotel/bar/restaurant just outside town centre....recently refurbished kitchens....handful of nice modern rooms upstairs

There is also a Premier Inn attached to the 'Frome Flyer' pub on the ringroad outside town.....usual rooms etc....taxi or car ride into town though.

Nowhere in particular to avoid but there are better pubs than others.....Archangel and The Three Swans (landlady is called Helen....) in King St are both good, the George Hotel is usually busy with locals, then there's a new bar opposite the cinema called Brewed Boy that has a big craft ale/cider range, Sam's Kitchen up Catherine Hill is smart with a great food menu.  The Griffin is a short walk from town but is home to Milk St Brewery and is often busy at weekends.  The Sun Inn further up Catherine Hill and The Blue Boar by the bridge in town are best left to another time tbh.....

Hope you have a good visit.  Ping me if you need anymore info.

Thumbs up on the Brewed Boy bar - best new addition to Frome this year, so far.

• 5 months later...

Hi Folks

Thanks for the great advice.

Just to let you know (for future reference / helpfulness to anyone searching 'Frome' on this forum) I stayed in the George last night. Room was chintzy but very comfortable, breakfast was really good and I ate dinner there too as was too bloody cold to go out anywhere else. Fab fish pie,  very good beer, great staff.

Garden Cafe VVVVVVVVV good for coffee and cake.

Cheese and Grain - OMG! What a fab venue. I cannot believe the Foos played there... it's so... small!