Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
pie_and_a_pint

Accommodation in Frome

Recommended Posts

Not Glasto-related, but I know there are a few locals on here who might be able to help. I'm booking tickets for a gig at the Cheese and Grain on a Saturday night in November (Jon Boden and the Remnant Kings, if anyone's interested), and I'm going to need to stay over on the Saturday night. Any recommendations for anywhere good to stay (and anywhere to avoid?) I'll be arriving by train but would prefer to be close to the C&G so I can walk back to the hotel straight after the gig. Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Not Glasto-related, but I know there are a few locals on here who might be able to help. I'm booking tickets for a gig at the Cheese and Grain on a Saturday night in November (Jon Boden and the Remnant Kings, if anyone's interested), and I'm going to need to stay over on the Saturday night. Any recommendations for anywhere good to stay (and anywhere to avoid?) I'll be arriving by train but would prefer to be close to the C&G so I can walk back to the hotel straight after the gig. Thanks in advance!

Pretty sure @parsonjack lives there..... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

Pretty sure @parsonjack lives there..... :)

Yup :D

Depends a bit on budget and what you like but the best options are.....all within 5 mins walk of C&G....

The George Hotel - big Wadworth brewery pile in middle of town....decent beer/food....recent refurbished rooms in annex above Fat Face next door.

The Archangel - pricey boutique bar/hotel/restaurant....quirky rooms with murals and copper freestanding baths etc

The Cornerhouse - small hotel/bar/restaurant just outside town centre....recently refurbished kitchens....handful of nice modern rooms upstairs

There is also a Premier Inn attached to the 'Frome Flyer' pub on the ringroad outside town.....usual rooms etc....taxi or car ride into town though.

Nowhere in particular to avoid but there are better pubs than others.....Archangel and The Three Swans (landlady is called Helen....) in King St are both good, the George Hotel is usually busy with locals, then there's a new bar opposite the cinema called Brewed Boy that has a big craft ale/cider range, Sam's Kitchen up Catherine Hill is smart with a great food menu.  The Griffin is a short walk from town but is home to Milk St Brewery and is often busy at weekends.  The Sun Inn further up Catherine Hill and The Blue Boar by the bridge in town are best left to another time tbh.....

Hope you have a good visit.  Ping me if you need anymore info.

Edited by parsonjack
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much @parsonjack that's brilliant. We really like the look of the Cornerhouse so I think I'm going to book that as it'll be a nice treat (usually stick to Premier Inn / Travelodge :) ).

Ta for the pub / bar recommendations as well. Sounds like I might need my drinking trousers on, but for a rousing singalong Jon Boden gig it seems appropriate to be slightly tipsy :D 

 

Many thanks again!

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure you'll have no problems booking somewhere this far in advance but if you get stuck Airbnb is great for cheap rooms pretty much anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Sure you'll have no problems booking somewhere this far in advance but if you get stuck Airbnb is great for cheap rooms pretty much anywhere.

I'm always a bit wary of Air BnB, I'll be honest. In this instance I've booked a (bargain) B&B through Booking.com.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/06/2017 at 7:31 PM, parsonjack said:

Yup :D

Depends a bit on budget and what you like but the best options are.....all within 5 mins walk of C&G....

The George Hotel - big Wadworth brewery pile in middle of town....decent beer/food....recent refurbished rooms in annex above Fat Face next door.

The Archangel - pricey boutique bar/hotel/restaurant....quirky rooms with murals and copper freestanding baths etc

The Cornerhouse - small hotel/bar/restaurant just outside town centre....recently refurbished kitchens....handful of nice modern rooms upstairs

There is also a Premier Inn attached to the 'Frome Flyer' pub on the ringroad outside town.....usual rooms etc....taxi or car ride into town though.

Nowhere in particular to avoid but there are better pubs than others.....Archangel and The Three Swans (landlady is called Helen....) in King St are both good, the George Hotel is usually busy with locals, then there's a new bar opposite the cinema called Brewed Boy that has a big craft ale/cider range, Sam's Kitchen up Catherine Hill is smart with a great food menu.  The Griffin is a short walk from town but is home to Milk St Brewery and is often busy at weekends.  The Sun Inn further up Catherine Hill and The Blue Boar by the bridge in town are best left to another time tbh.....

Hope you have a good visit.  Ping me if you need anymore info.

Thumbs up on the Brewed Boy bar - best new addition to Frome this year, so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stayed at The George a few years ago. Nice boozer, nice people. Rooms were a bit tired, but very clean and comfortable. Only complaint was, we had a room on the front and it was very noisy, especially when the market was setting up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Folks

Thanks for the great advice.

Just to let you know (for future reference / helpfulness to anyone searching 'Frome' on this forum) I stayed in the George last night. Room was chintzy but very comfortable, breakfast was really good and I ate dinner there too as was too bloody cold to go out anywhere else. Fab fish pie,  very good beer, great staff.

Garden Cafe VVVVVVVVV good for coffee and cake.

Cheese and Grain - OMG! What a fab venue. I cannot believe the Foos played there... it's so... small!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×