NYC Downlow & Cave

MartinK

The NYC Downlow and Cave are the only places I haven't been to in my 4 years at Glastonbury (apart from some of the micro venues)

The Cave never really appeals to me and the NYC Downlow always has a huge queue.

This year I'm going to make it my mission to visit but are they any good?

16 minutes ago, EZYSEY said:

Whats the deal with the NYC Downlow and fake moustache's and how busy do we think Masters at Work will be Sunday night? 

You've got to buy one by making a donation on the way in, and really really really busy 

NYCD was considered the best club in the UK last year by some of the dance music periodicals.  In my opinion, if you're interested in that kind of music, it's well worth a visit.

I am a bit gutted at the MAW timing though; i know what state i'm in by that time of the weekend.  the Nuyorican Soul DJ set on Genosys a bit earlier may well be a decent - and easier to get into - alternative.

12 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

it won't let you skip the queue, but if you really want to avoid giving a couple of quid to charity you may be able to argue your case against buying one.

I skipped the queue last year on Saturday, using a moustache I'd paid for on the Thursday...

1 hour ago, MartinK said:

The NYC Downlow and Cave are the only places I haven't been to in my 4 years at Glastonbury (apart from some of the micro venues)

The Cave never really appeals to me and the NYC Downlow always has a huge queue.

This year I'm going to make it my mission to visit but are they any good?

How much do you know about Downlow? If you go in with an open mind and can get on with the hottest and sweatiest dance floor there's no better place on site. 

But yes, NYC Downlow is a great experience and insight into nonsensical queer culture. It's sweaty, the queue is sometimes long but worth it if you're going to spend a bit of time there.

There's a dark room and it's generally quite naughty. The kind of place you go if you're just going to roll with the punches and aren't too easily offended.

Great review here: http://mixmag.net/feature/block9s-nyc-downlow-might-just-be-the-best-festival-arena-on-the-planet

14 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

oooh, i didn't know that was possible!

We usually head to Block9 when it first opens on the Weds to buy the moustaches for this reason. Then we have a spiritual exploration of the naughty corner, which often involves staring at the waterfall for minutes at a time.

Really struggling to figure out when we're going to get to NYC Downlow through the week as there are some quality acts on like Jamie xx and Gorgon City when you just know that the areas will be closed off because of capacity.

Edited by MJP

Love the NYC downlow. It is very dark, sweaty, naughty and fun. When we went we were completely mashed and saw some bizarre things I'm not altogether sure were real or hallucinations! Sadly every year since we have tried to get in but the queue is always too big. 

4 minutes ago, eviepeach said:

Love the NYC downlow. It is very dark, sweaty, naughty and fun. When we went we were completely mashed and saw some bizarre things I'm not altogether sure were real or hallucinations! Sadly every year since we have tried to get in but the queue is always too big. 

A particular memory is having a drag queen take my head and pop it straight into her undercarriage... Sweaty...

Downlows great, one of the best late night spots on site, worth the que if your planning on staying in there a hour or 2, David Morales a few years back was amazing, whole place buzzing and wiggied:lol:

Only been The Cave once can't really recall much about it tbh think it was a walk in walk out situation, what type of music tends to be on in there?

We bought a load of tashes from the poundshop to skip the queue but at the time I'd no idea there was a charge or indeed that the money went to charity and I felt awful when I found out!  So don't do that.

As for what it's like in there?  I'm wasn't a fan of the music, but the crowd and people on the stage were fun!

Edited by verrymerry

Me and my mates went to The Cave on the Sunday of 2014 and had one of the best nights ever. It was a 'drumstep' DJ (don't remember the name). Mix of DnB and dubstep. Was there for about 3 hours. Don't remember too much about it other than that I loved it.

12 hours ago, themuel said:

How have I missed the dark room?! It sounds fabulous. 

From 13-15, in the smoking area, there was a little doorway -- presumably it's still there. There's another room to the left as you go in as well - used to be called Downlow Radio I believe. But that's a bit less... risque. From my understanding it all got shaken up a little bit last year, though, with the Meat Rack, so the topology may have altered somewhat.

12 hours ago, themuel said:

How have I missed the dark room?! It sounds fabulous. 

Being from Cornwall, it would probably make a change from roadside toilets?

(Originally from Cornwall myself...)