The 2017 what tent are you taking thread

OneLittleFish

What tent are you taking to Glasto this year?

I've been deciding what tent to take this year and gone for the newest member of the tent family that lives in my shed - gone for a Quecha 2 seconds XL Air III. Usually against pop ups but very spacious, decent to carry and surprisingly easy to take down. Just had a few beers and tried putting it up/taking it down (with a couple of beers in between inside it to simulate Glastonbury conditions :D) and it's a surprisingly excellent tent for a pop-up. Dead chuffed.

What are you taking this year? Have you decided?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arpenaz Fresh and Black 3 man tent.

I don't mind spending a few minutes putting a tent up. The smaller bag makes it easier to transport on a coach and it should be one of the coolest places to be once the sun comes up.

https://www.quechua.co.uk/arpenaz-freshblack-3-person-camping-tent-white-id_8357355

#TeamFreshAndBlack

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Arpenaz Fresh and Black 3 man tent.

I don't mind spending a few minutes putting a tent up. The smaller bag makes it easier to transport on a coach and it should be one of the coolest places to be once the sun comes up.

https://www.quechua.co.uk/arpenaz-freshblack-3-person-camping-tent-white-id_8357355

#TeamFreshAndBlack

I'll be thinking of you jealously when it feels like Aurora Borealis has decided to set off all its light and heat in my tent when I'm trying to kip at 9am :P

We've got several but going for the 4 man Gelert we can stand up in being slightly long in the tooth!

Its waterproof pretty much and has a decent sitting area, plus I can carry the fucking thing from the car

This bad boy, purchased in the January sales: 

http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/tents/978-beta-550xl.html

had my eye on it for a year now, having had to retire my old tent due to one of those mould infestations happening - I researched newer models at Glastonbury last year and decided I'd buy this when I found it for under a hundred quid. And then I did, and now it's good to go! 

I'm pretty sure that my tent is a pre-historic 4 man version of this tent below;

35 - Hiking Camping - 2 Seconds Easy III Pop Up Tent - 3 Man, Green QUECHUA - Tents

I know it doesn't have a fancy pull cord system to drop it down, and that I have to go through the embarrassing performance of wrestling with the thing to get it back in to it's cylindrical bag. That said, I have managed to get it back in it's bag for the last 3 times that I have used it. However, the very last time I used it was at least a year ago, and I can no longer recall how to re-pack it.

In addition to the above, the last time I used it the zip got stuck. I searched around for something pointy to stick in to the hole in the zip end bit and, rather, dementedly, decided on using the pointy end of an extremely sharp knife (I wasn't at a festival). This act of lunacy ended up with the zip slipping slightly , the knife point breaking free of it's little hole in the zip end, and me slashing through my own tent with the knife, in a not insignificant manner. I have repaired the slash since, but now (as in right now) have a vague recollection that there is a plethora of fag burn holes in the ground sheet.I've come to a conclusion - I'm going to do what some people on here do, and check my tent before going to the festival. Way out man.

13 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm pretty sure that my tent is a pre-historic 4 man version of this tent below;

35 - Hiking Camping - 2 Seconds Easy III Pop Up Tent - 3 Man, Green QUECHUA - Tents

I know it doesn't have a fancy pull cord system to drop it down, and that I have to go through the embarrassing performance of wrestling with the thing to get it back in to it's cylindrical bag. That said, I have managed to get it back in it's bag for the last 3 times that I have used it. However, the very last time I used it was at least a year ago, and I can no longer recall how to re-pack it.

In addition to the above, the last time I used it the zip got stuck. I searched around for something pointy to stick in to the hole in the zip end bit and, rather, dementedly, decided on using the pointy end of an extremely sharp knife (I wasn't at a festival). This act of lunacy ended up with the zip slipping slightly , the knife point breaking free of it's little hole in the zip end, and me slashing through my own tent with the knife, in a not insignificant manner. I have repaired the slash since, but now (as in right now) have a vague recollection that there is a plethora of fag burn holes in the ground sheet.I've come to a conclusion - I'm going to do what some people on here do, and check my tent before going to the festival. Way out man.

I've got the 4 man version of this. They're a real fucker to put away, always forget the technique. My mate snapped one of the poles trying to put the bloody thing back in its little round house at the end of 2013. It does kind of still work though but not sure how well it would stand up to anything other than a light breeze. Going for one of these this year.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-family-41-id_8378237.html?iv_=__iv_p_1_g_43188320042_c_190889106220_w_pla-297537134291_n_g_d_t_v__l__t__r_1o2x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_2165271_z_GB_i_en_j_297537134291_s__e__h_9045796_ii__vi__&gclid=Cj0KEQjwx6TJBRCWtsiXpI7bhOYBEiQA1en3F0cL5aXdquvJb9kBGH8iY9tJwCoPNV9lZY3j7oMm8doaAok88P8HAQ

Tall enough to stand up in the porch area to use the old travel John in the wee small hours to save stumbling to the nearest convenience. Winner :)

We've been using same tent since 2009 from Go outdoors,  don't sell them anymore but we were lucky to find exactly the same one abandoned 2 years ago so least have back up...totally easy to get up and perfect for festivals

IMG_0649.JPG

Edited by shoptildrop

51 minutes ago, saintfletch said:

I've got the 4 man version of this. They're a real fucker to put away, always forget the technique. My mate snapped one of the poles trying to put the bloody thing back in its little round house at the end of 2013. It does kind of still work though but not sure how well it would stand up to anything other than a light breeze. Going for one of these this year.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-family-41-id_8378237.html?iv_=__iv_p_1_g_43188320042_c_190889106220_w_pla-297537134291_n_g_d_t_v__l__t__r_1o2x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_2165271_z_GB_i_en_j_297537134291_s__e__h_9045796_ii__vi__&gclid=Cj0KEQjwx6TJBRCWtsiXpI7bhOYBEiQA1en3F0cL5aXdquvJb9kBGH8iY9tJwCoPNV9lZY3j7oMm8doaAok88P8HAQ

Tall enough to stand up in the porch area to use the old travel John in the wee small hours to save stumbling to the nearest convenience. Winner :)

Well, how odd - I also had a calamity with one of the poles in 2013 when I was trying to force the bloody tent back in to a shape that would fit it's bag. Fortunately I stopped forcing it when I heard the fibres of the tent pole starting to snap away from each other. I think that I saved it, just in the nick of time.

The tent that you are going for this year is a beauty. So jealous of the porch area. I'd be tempted to buy another tent with a porch, but Glastonbury is the only place that I really use a tent nowadays as we now have a campervan, and because I believe in driving and existing tent in to the ground before replacing it.

Have fun at the festival, in your sw*nky tent. :)

This is the one I'll be taking - assuming it's still in one piece once I've got it down from the loft in a couple of weeks. Last outings were glasto & camp bestival last year, I've had it since 2004 I think so should make this year it's 9th trip to glasto, not bad going for a middle of the road tent! 

IMG_1305.JPG

As it looks like I won't be cycling I'll take this one this year.

http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=5516

9060_enlarged.jpg

Small footprint but standing room. Only downside is that it is too heavy to take on the bike.

If I do cycle it will be this.

http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=1261

50038_enlarged.jpg

Nice big porch, but not standing room. It's the one I've taken the last couple of years. Needs a pole repair though. Got the bits, just need to do it.

12 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Got one of these lads, the Taj Mahal of tents

Dutch family not included.

Had this one since 2009. Used at every Glastonbury since, and loads of camping trips. Great tent, do feel a bit like a turtle carrying it in though!  Has been patched up a bit but still going strong.