So where do people think is best for camping...

O'Doyle Rules

18 minutes ago, Laurawfc said:

Yep, everyone should definitely stay away from Paines..

I second all of this. It's far too close to Gate D, Arcadia, The Park, the new cinema field and the all night noodle bar to any good. Move along.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the years I've done Pennard, Big Ground, Spring Ground, Hitchin Hill, Dairy, Pylon and Michael's Mead.

They all have their charms but my favourite was Spring Ground (camped there 03-05) as it was close to the action but also tucked away in its own little area - and also at that time it was right next to the open air cinema. Also next to the cafe at the bottom of Michaels Mead - forgotten its name...?!

In 07 it was designated for disabled camping, still is, so we moved on, but never settled as you can see!

This year I'm coming by coach for the first time in ages, so will probably go back to Pylon again or one of the other fields not too far from gate A. Quite like that spot and with Silver Hayes on the doorstep you're not too far away from it all :)

58 minutes ago, Monkismo said:

I second all of this. It's far too close to Gate D, Arcadia, The Park, the new cinema field and the all night noodle bar to any good. Move along.

Arcadia is a fucking godsend when trying to find my way back to Paines.

Im not sure its about where you camp .. more about who with and how you set the scene with your neighbours ... offer a beer , help with the tent , a friendly hello and good morning ... makes the festival more pleasant when you fall over their guy ropes at 3am :)

1 hour ago, Waapster said:

We love our spot in Hawkwell. Nice view across the whole site, into the action in minutes and quiet enough at night.

Another one for Hawkwell, it never gets a mention but its been my favourite camping location 

Anyone got any suggestions for Thursday afternoon arrivers? Last few years we have camped in Pylon / Rivermead / Bushy, all of which are great and handy for Silver Hayes and JP, just wondered if theres anywhere else with lost of space on Thursday afternoon? We are bit boring these days so need a decent nights kip, so not much noise late night if possible, but still friendly during the day. More than happy to head to the same spots this year (noticed space was getting tighter last year in Rivermead, partly due to some areas been no go areas due to boggy ground from the previous weekends deluge) just wondered if there were other camping spots we should explore? Tent quite big also so need a bit of space to pitch if poss

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

Anyone got any suggestions for Thursday afternoon arrivers? Last few years we have camped in Pylon / Rivermead / Bushy, all of which are great and handy for Silver Hayes and JP, just wondered if theres anywhere else with lost of space on Thursday afternoon? We are bit boring these days so need a decent nights kip, so not much noise late night if possible, but still friendly during the day. More than happy to head to the same spots this year (noticed space was getting tighter last year in Rivermead, partly due to some areas been no go areas due to boggy ground from the previous weekends deluge) just wondered if there were other camping spots we should explore? Tent quite big also so need a bit of space to pitch if poss

I think @Keithy will back me up on this -

Before the sad demise of GlastoMap, we spotted that Back House was full of green grass - I think the entrance isn't obvious, and it's squirreled away... And no one headed there. Much flatter and convenient than South Park, which also has space late on. 

4 hours ago, Joeskeppi said:

I was fortunate enough to camp in the glade crew camping last year and have it again this year and I can't think of a better spot. Feels like it's equidistant to everything. 

Wow! This wins for me. Can you sneak us in too? Pretty much central location and in the beautiful Glade. You lucky sod.

1 hour ago, Titters said:

I think @Keithy will back me up on this -

Before the sad demise of GlastoMap, we spotted that Back House was full of green grass - I think the entrance isn't obvious, and it's squirreled away... And no one headed there. Much flatter and convenient than South Park, which also has space late on. 

Indeed. Back House was a green oasis in a world of mud.

Screenshot_20170526-224548.thumb.jpg.8fe1058cfb5d85c97a2b70b1e0c72031.jpg

I used to camp in Park Home Ground as the perfect balance between space and location, but the encroachment of Arcadia is threatening that.  My friends are in tipis this year, so I'll probably still aim for Park Home and see what happens. Camping alone this year so don't need much space. I can sleep through pretty much anything, especially if I'm tired, so noise isn't an issue.

4 hours ago, Titters said:

Ooh that does look nice! Plenty of geeen and space there. Bit out of the way but that has its perks. 

Is Row Mead any good, anyone? 

Having always camped in Baileys myself, I can confirm that Backhouse is like an overflow pitch, it's got a fence in front of it generally till late on Thursday, early Friday, great bit of info for late arrivers, hope that helps peeps!

baileys has always been pretty good in terms of space, but I think some folk must have cottoned on last year as it was properly mobbed, we pitched and went to grab some wood for a campfire...came back and almost couldn't find our tent (and no space for a fire)...was fine though the neighbours were a great bunch :) (and getting a fire going in last years weather was going to end up a pretty major challenge anyway!!!)

2 hours ago, pauladam said:

Having always camped in Baileys myself, I can confirm that Backhouse is like an overflow pitch, it's got a fence in front of it generally till late on Thursday, early Friday, great bit of info for late arrivers, hope that helps peeps!

baileys has always been pretty good in terms of space, but I think some folk must have cottoned on last year as it was properly mobbed, we pitched and went to grab some wood for a campfire...came back and almost couldn't find our tent (and no space for a fire)...was fine though the neighbours were a great bunch :) (and getting a fire going in last years weather was going to end up a pretty major challenge anyway!!!)

Back House is the hidden gem for Thursday arrivals who want space and peace & quiet. Lush green stuff last year and no through traffic. Also, not toooo far from late night shenanigans (Darble).

Have camped in Wicket, Park Home, Hawkwell, Pylon and Worthy View. Thought they were all great. May try for Hawkwell this year as I loved the view and it is not too far from Gate A. I enjoy the late night stroll through the site to get home in the morning too. That said if the coach is delayed again will probably end up in Darble or Pylon as I may be too knackered to care where to camp.

The trend seems to be that more and more people are chosing to camp further out.  Darble has got progressively less spacious each year, although last year I reckon that was mostly just people deciding they couldn't face trudging further once they got through the gate.  I'm all for this pattern continuing until everyone gets roughly the same sort of level wherever they chose.

@crazyfool1 is bang on though, the most important thing is your neighbours, rather than the location.  I've camped in various locations over the years and that has always been the defining factor.  I'm not really one to be going to and from the tent though, maybe a change to warmer clothes in the evening.

Horses for courses innit. We used to get there early doors on the shuttle bus from Bath and West and get straight into Park Home but the older I get the less I want to be in the centre of things... And the less I can be arsed with carrying my stuff across the site. We get there much later now and with Arcadia where it is we'd not go into Park Home anyway, but I'm a big lover of Bushy these days. Plenty of space, fine for a kip at night, good toilets... And I don't mind the walk home to clear my head before bed.

Each to their own but Pennards and Oxlyers look like my worst nightmare!