So where do people think is best for camping...

O'Doyle Rules

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 27/05/2017 at 2:28 PM, LeeGalvin said:

we're thinking of trying out one of the South Park fields this time, as we tend to gravitate to The Park and that part of the site more than the likes of Silver Hayes. Any advice? We usually arrive mid-afternoon on the Wednesday.

I've camped in Pennards, Paines and South Park. Pennards is certainly the best location, but is so overcrowded that I wouldn't camp there again. The tents are literally on top of each other to the point that often it's difficult to find a path back to your tent let alone put a chair outside. 

Paines was good location wise, but I missed waking up, opening my tent and seeing a view over the site, so being on a hill is important to me. 

Last year I managed to persuade my camp mates to keep on walking up to South Park so we'd be on a decent hill and minimise the chance of tent flooding. It turned out to be a great place to camp, not too mad busy and made all the better by having some great people around us, so despite the extra walk we're planning to head back this year. It's unfortunate you have to walk all the way round The Park to get anywhere but I suppose that keeps South Park a bit quieter. 

Being high up is a priority for us, no flood risk, less muddy, better views. Been in South Park a couple of times when arriving at Gate D but were routed to Gate A last year so ended up in Hitchin Hill.

Which was great, I thought. Hill was steep but sweet views, space and relatively little mud. Much closer to the action than SP and if the rumours are to be believed, even more action nearby this year.

On 2017-5-26 at 3:40 PM, I am Jon said:

After 10+ years I don't think it matters that much. Pennard hill may look the best location from the map but tends to fill up really fast and be overcrowded, last time I tried to get in there we ended up out in south park.

Pretty much every field is close to some areas and miles away from others. Best just sticking to somewhere in the fields around the gate you enter through rather than dragging your kit to the opposite side of the site only to find your preferred field is already full. 

I fully agree with you even although the last time I used Public Camping was back in 1987 - these days I use crew Camping so I don't have to hunt for anywhere - if I was in a car I would camp close to Gate D and if I travelled by Coach I would camp close to Gate A - certainly there is no way would I transport all my gear just to be close to the action - Each Year I watch people transporting god knows what when they enter gate D and I always wonder why as by the Monday they have to transport it all back again. 

Camped up in Woodsies then Darbie past few years. Coming by car this year me and 1 friend (2, 3-4 man tents) are thinking of Big Ground/Kidney Mead. How long do these take to fill up? They're close to the Pyramid so I assume fairly quickly but does anyone have a rough estimate, like will we get 2 tents in there around mid day Wednesday? 

On 27/5/2017 at 5:29 PM, liamium said:

fancied Back House this year but is it inaccessible until the other campsites fill up? 

where else is good for the prospect of a bit more space between pitches? don't care how far away from things i am tbh

We stay in Lime Kiln...loads of room between pitches, bit of a trek from where we usually end up at night, but great view and neighbours have always been fantastic...used to stay in Wicket Ground which is a bit flatter, but it became family camping. Haven't been since '14, but judging by the map, below the road in Lime Kiln (top of Wicket Ground) looks to be back in general camping, so it's a bit flatter below the road. Short stroll to the JPT, lockup right beside you, bogs at the wood are great (wasn't a thing when I last went, but they were still bogs in a wood!), lulus on the way home for some grub. We'll be heading there again this year!

54 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

will we get 2 tents in there around mid day Wednesday? 

I'd say you can get 2 tents in pretty much anywhere around mid day Wednesday.  4, 5 hours later much less likely.

I'm expecting that, while we'll still get plenty aiming for early doors the arrivals will be more spread out again this year with people remembering the traffic chaos last year and holding off to leave until they see what the score is.

I suppose it is always a possibility, but as the blame seemed to have been split between the weather before the festival and too many people trying to arrive early with the organisers cautioning against it I was expecting the message to get through (and be reinforced this year).

15 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I'd say you can get 2 tents in pretty much anywhere around mid day Wednesday.  4, 5 hours later much less likely.

I'm expecting that, while we'll still get plenty aiming for early doors the arrivals will be more spread out again this year with people remembering the traffic chaos last year and holding off to leave until they see what the score is.

That's great thank you, we're expecting to arrive around 9-10am. So I gave my self a little room, by the time we've parked up, gotten through the gates and too the spot.  

4 minutes ago, Daisygrubber said:

We camp in bushy ground, it's a perfect spot for us close enough to gate A and D and enough space not to feel hemmed in and quiet enough to get a bit of sleep.

Yeah it's the best I've slept in all my Glastonburys! Important to me as I'm a zombie by Sunday without it.

On 26/05/2017 at 3:56 PM, rhg_99 said:

how quickly does Big Ground fill up? I'm guessing very....

Yeah very quickly! We always arrive on site about 6am and join the queue. Usually get to Big Ground by 9am and it's filling up fast. If you just have one or two tents you'll be ok for a few more hours but a group of multiple tents I'd suggest being in the queue way before doors open.

45 minutes ago, kalifire said:

How does Big Ground, Row Mead and Kidney Mead compare to Pennards?

I camped in Kidney Mead and it was rammed. Just as rammed as Pennards imo. We had to ask some guys next to us to move their tent to fit us in, which they did, but they'd tried making a massive circle for their group. The morning the next day someone had just plonked their own tent bang in the middle over night. Did have a chuckle about that 

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

How does Big Ground, Row Mead and Kidney Mead compare to Pennards?

I love the location for easy access to Williams Green, West Holts and John Peel/Silver Hayes. Plus lots of toilets. They do tend to fill up fast though, not much space between tents. Good night's sleep however as there aren't any late night venues nearby.

Depending on what time (or gate) I get in, I head towards pennards.  If that's full then Diary ground is always a winner for me.   

Last year couple of years we've ended up in south park 1 and 2, which was a fair trek to have to do every day and night.  The only positive is that apart from the main thoroughfares, it doesn't tend to get as muddy and there is (relatively) more space.

I really want to try and convince my group to camp the other side in Kidney Mead or around, mainly as the lineup for me is so heavily dominated by West Holts, John Peel and Pyramid (I don't even think there is 1 act I want to see on Other), plus with the late night djs being spread out around the site there isnt that dependence on being near SE.

The problem I have is that there are 8 of us coming by coach early hours of Wednesday morning and will be joining the queue at Gate A, we are on tent duty for the other 20 or so people that will be joining later. By the time we get in when gates open and walk to a location we will need space for three fair sized 8 man tents and a few smaller 2/3 mans. Realistically what are our options? 

We have only camped in Paines before and I definitely want to be more in the thick of things than there, even if thats just shuffling up a bit to Park Home.

Bushy Ground gets my vote, ideal for coach and by Gate A and Gate D. Quiet, not far from Silver Hayes and the walk isn't that bad. I always have a decent gap or take items that I need for the whole day / night!

I haven't driven for a while - how do I get to Gate D / make sure I'm parked at the right side of the festival? So I'm aiming for Orange / Pink car parks right? Spent to long getting the coach!

I'll be travelling from Wales. Seems like the best thread for the question.