So where do people think is best for camping...

O'Doyle Rules

19 hours ago, mario man said:

Over the years I've done Pennard, Big Ground, Spring Ground, Hitchin Hill, Dairy, Pylon and Michael's Mead.

They all have their charms but my favourite was Spring Ground (camped there 03-05) as it was close to the action but also tucked away in its own little area - and also at that time it was right next to the open air cinema. Also next to the cafe at the bottom of Michaels Mead - forgotten its name...?!

Lulu's! Opposite the lock ups. Great location but gets full quite quickly. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, alc1 said:

Lulu's! Opposite the lock ups. Great location but gets full quite quickly. 

That's it, thanks! Being camped in Michael's Mead last year it was great to be close to that place again! It's a smashing spot at the start of the day for brekkie and also the end of the day for a light snack on your way to bed!

I had really high hopes for Bushy but we camped there last year and I wouldn't go back in a hurry 

It was nice to have plenty of space and be on the milk route but other than that it was a bit rubbish, toilets were in very short supply and the distance from SE corner was absolutely heartbreaking in last years mud, also a severe lack of good breakfast options 

So we're on the hunt for new pastures this year, mostly I just want somewhere with good nearby breakfast 

34 minutes ago, sloseph said:

I had really high hopes for Bushy but we camped there last year and I wouldn't go back in a hurry 

It was nice to have plenty of space and be on the milk route but other than that it was a bit rubbish, toilets were in very short supply and the distance from SE corner was absolutely heartbreaking in last years mud, also a severe lack of good breakfast options 

So we're on the hunt for new pastures this year, mostly I just want somewhere with good nearby breakfast 

Ah that's weird, never had to queue for the toilets long at Bushy at all and always found them very clean! We tend to get breakfast on our way out elsewhere too.

Have camped in Bushy for the last few years, but we're thinking of trying out one of the South Park fields this time, as we tend to gravitate to The Park and that part of the site more than the likes of Silver Hayes. Any advice? We usually arrive mid-afternoon on the Wednesday.

What's the nearest campsite to West Holts? It makes sense for me to try and convince my group to camp there.

I was hoping to try the other side this year after camping at the back of Paines in 2015 (thought it was a bit too far out). Kidney mead interests me but I assume it will be a push trying to get a decent size area for multiple tents (despite getting the 1am coach from London) 

25 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah that's weird, never had to queue for the toilets long at Bushy at all and always found them very clean! We tend to get breakfast on our way out elsewhere too.

How bizarre, I'd agree the toilets were always pretty clean but the queues were massive, maybe my group just had the same toilet schedule as a lot of other people? 

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Horses for courses innit. We used to get there early doors on the shuttle bus from Bath and West and get straight into Park Home but the older I get the less I want to be in the centre of things... And the less I can be arsed with carrying my stuff across the site. We get there much later now and with Arcadia where it is we'd not go into Park Home anyway, but I'm a big lover of Bushy these days. Plenty of space, fine for a kip at night, good toilets... And I don't mind the walk home to clear my head before bed.

Each to their own but Pennards and Oxlyers look like my worst nightmare! 

My thoughts exactly. We've always arrived by coach and Bushy is the limit in terms of how far I'd want to walk with all my gear.

Feels like home now anyway - we usually arrive on Thurs and there is always a perfectly sized gap in the exact same area every year. As though the festival know that spot is reserved for us!

2 hours ago, mjsell said:

What's the nearest campsite to West Holts? It makes sense for me to try and convince my group to camp there.

I was hoping to try the other side this year after camping at the back of Paines in 2015 (thought it was a bit too far out). Kidney mead interests me but I assume it will be a push trying to get a decent size area for multiple tents (despite getting the 1am coach from London) 

Probably Pennards Hill or Big Ground - you'll get a clear stroll through the markets from BG. 

Kidney would be best but, as you say, that seems to be full as soon as gates open. 

Michael's Mead / Hawkwell are cool, but if you need to get back to tents, getting through the Pyramid crowd in the afternoon/evening adds a chunk to the time to do so.

4 hours ago, sloseph said:

How bizarre, I'd agree the toilets were always pretty clean but the queues were massive, maybe my group just had the same toilet schedule as a lot of other people? 

I think maybe we are up and out before the big rush... We don't tend to stay out much later than 2am or so these days and so probably are up earlier than you if you are late night party people. Anyway hope you find somewhere suitable!

5 hours ago, Lubic87 said:

My thoughts exactly. We've always arrived by coach and Bushy is the limit in terms of how far I'd want to walk with all my gear

Bushy is definitely somewhere I would head - went through on Wednesday afternoon and it still had decent space, and a really good atmosphere. 

I think those going through Gate D don't realise it's there!

Can't comment about the loo availability though

4 hours ago, Titters said:

Michael's Mead / Hawkwell are cool, but if you need to get back to tents, getting through the Pyramid crowd in the afternoon/evening adds a chunk to the time to do so.

Especially if James Blunt is on - nearly cried in pain haha!  You definitely have to go around the back when it's busy, and share your local toilets with the Pyramid crowd, but on the whole it's a goodun

The queues for the bogs at the bottom (no pun intended) of Riverhead, Pylon an Bushy do get busy first thing in the morning, so I always take the 5 - 10 minutes walk to the long drops between Silver Hayes and the Other Stage, you never have to queue there at that time of the morning. I simply cannot queue if I need a rectal discharge especially after a night on the sauce 

They have cracking compost toilets at the bottom of Bushy it has to be said if you go on your way back to the tent at night when there are no queues

11 hours ago, Padgey said:

Always camped at top of Michaels Mead, it's a bit away from the action but the ground stays firm and always a good bunch if people up there. 

Me too Padgey- we could be neighbours! Nice friendly area. 

I know it's not an overly popular area on here but I've always stayed in Oxlyers. Been lucky with the neighbours as they've always been really friendly. Like the location as its close to The Park, Other Stage, Arcadia and Silverr Hayes. Not a massive walk to Pyramid, either. The walk back from SE Corner after a heavy night is always a challenge though!

However last year it seemed a lot more full by the time we got there than normal. Part of that was probably the weather/state of the ground, though. Reckon people just walked as far as they could take and gave up.

24 minutes ago, alc1 said:

Me three! Look out for a pie approx 6 ft 2 in diameter :lol: if you successfully identify me, there's a beer in a pastry case as a reward 

12 hours ago, alc1 said:

We're usually not far from the TV compound. There's 2 of us and that's me in the pic so if you recognise me come say hi, there'll be plenty of cider.