Arcadia

FloorFiller

5 minutes ago, Tuna said:

That's not what I said. Arcadia had tweeted someone saying there would be techno there this year. 

It was actual words, wasn't it? 

I think a lot of people (wrongly) classify someone like Patrick Topping or Jasper James as techno, even Hopkins. So I think this is where the confusion comes from. Like calling Avicii trance. 

Edited by danbailey80

13 minutes ago, StePotts said:

The only interesting and slightly new stuff is the old school stuff, Goldie, F&G, Roni Size. That line-up for Friday is happening every night in some connotation the entire weekend across the festival. Not very original.

pretty much all dance music at Glastonbury in a nutshell. pretty much the same names and the same narrow spread of genres every year.

4 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

pretty much all dance music at Glastonbury in a nutshell. pretty much the same names and the same narrow spread of genres every year.

I think the spread of DJs is purely a financial thing. As for narrow spread of genres again mostly a financial thing. For example a niche techno DJ might cost a lot to get over for one set and then not be fully appreciated anyway at Glastonbury with the crowd they have, therefore not the best use of money.

Come on guys! Compare the dance line up to any other dance line up at other music festivals (excluding 'Creamfields etc)

Edited by danbailey80

1 minute ago, danbailey80 said:

I think a lot of people (wrongly) classify someone like Patrick Topping or Jasper James as techno, even Hopkins. So I think this is where the confusion comes from. Like calling Avicii trance. 

Yeah I suppose so. Techno to some people (here) refers to the heavier, often industrial kinda sound like has been there in previous years and is so well suited. Therefore it's not unreasonable to assume that is what was meant. 

For some, it's that classic Detroit techno - the sort of stuff people like myself and @OBface are gagging for in the NYC - your Theo Parrishes, Moodymann, Omar-S types. That wouldn't be expected at all on Arcadia, obviously. 

You're probably right. But then, as a result, maybe it's difficult for the bookers site-wise to realise that when some people consider there to be a lack of techno that the definition may be somewhat blurred now. 

Just now, Untz said:

It's sad to think we can't take the liking of tweets as confirmation of anything any more.

Good save. 

2 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

I think the spread of DJs is purely a financial thing. As for narrow spread of genres again mostly a financial thing. For example a niche techno DJ might cost a lot to get over for one set and then not be fully appreciated anyway at Glastonbury with the crowd they have, therefore not the best use of money.

I really don't think there's a dearth of techno fans. Not compared to the dance genres that are over-represented anyway.

The size of Arcadia's field aside, the night venues aren't that big and you don't need to be splashing the cash on big/money demanding names.

5 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Come on guys! Compare the dance line up to any other dance line up at other music festivals (excluding 'Creamfields etc)

not really, there's plenty of UK-based small or mid-sized techno acts who would be charging less than some of the shitty TOWIE-esque house acts on the lineup. people aren't asking for massive names, just a bit of variety.

as for comparing lineups, there's many much better lineups out there at other festivals IMO, Dekmantel, Dimensions, Awakenings etc etc. if I was going to a festival for dance music, I certainly wouldn't be choosing Glastonbury.

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

as for comparing lineups, there's many much better lineups out there at other festivals IMO, Dekmantel, Dimensions, Awakenings etc etc. if I was going to a festival for dance music, I certainly wouldn't be choosing Glastonbury.

True, but if you wanted a festival based purely on a type of music you'd never chose Glastonbury.

Dance - all you've mentioned above

World - WOMAD

Indie - R&L

Metal/rock - Download

Hip-hop/rap - Wireless

A decent mix of all the above, plus plenty more, all in one festival - Glastonbury

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Again, maybe my lack of genre knowledge, but isn't Kevin Saunderson a pretty big fish in techno terms?

yes, I think Block9, or more specifically Genosys, is the only one where there's some noticeable techno names.

tbf, someone like Ben UFO or Jackmaster might play some techno at the right venue, but the vast majority of the dance areas are just plodding house and DnB from the usual suspects.

then again, the music at many areas is just background noise for people passing through unfortunately.

I was really hoping for Richie Hawtin, especially now he has no full Ibiza commitments.

Pretty sure he has been doing his Plastikman shows a fair bit in the States, obviously that wouldn't work here mind!

9 minutes ago, OLAS said:

Somebody give Nina Kraviz a shout......

I missed her last year in Serbia. My friends wanted to go home and I didn't fancy walking home on my own. Solomun = Same story!

But at least I could hear them all the way home.

Edited by payneruk