Arcadia

FloorFiller

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Here's the point, team.

This is not about the techno snobs simply whining, or having a go at the other genres on the line-up.

It's just an observation that there is, proportionately so little genuine techno on the overall line-up compared to other genres.

No, Glastonbury is not a 'dance' festival, but the dance element is a huge part of the line-up, entertaining a significant proportion of the festival goers, both at night and earlier in the days. Given that, it's not unreasonable to think that the profile of the genres would be not dissimilar to the more dance-orientated festivals.

This year there is a huge amount of DnB, a huge amount of tech-house, a significant amount of house/disco and very little techno. the relative proportions do not, IMO, reflect the broader clubbing picture today, where techno remains right up there with the most popular genres. In fact, if you look in Mixmag (you might choose not to!) they give a 'chart' of the relative popularity of the different genres based on number of attendees, events, etc. Over the last few years tech-house and techno have see-sawed over and under one another as numbers 1 and 2 in the list, and whilst tech-house is clearly the most populous current genre in terms of those who go to dance to it (for many reasons which I won't go into here, for fear of being branded a techno snob!), techno remains number 2.

Is that popularity reflected in the number of each genre's artists so far announced at Glastonbury? Not even close. And, though the most highly (over...) paid DJs in the world are mostly techno DJs, as others have said here and elsewhere, there are LOADS of fantastic artists, many British who are well within Glastonbury's budget and who would give a bit more variety to this year's line up.

know Patrick Topping is flavour of the month at the moment, but when you see him listed for all three main days but your favourite genre is significantly under-represented, it just grates a bit.

At least Jon Hopkins is playing the Spider and I will be there. And, there is just about enough techno on the line-up, but the artists would need not to clash much at all!

:)

Ben

Have an upvote purely for the effort and passion shown in that post ! Although you forgot to mention The KLF. 

11 minutes ago, Franky said:

Have an upvote purely for the effort and passion shown in that post ! Although you forgot to mention The KLF. 

Haha

Sorry @bennyhana22 :( You do like DnB a little bit right? Fabio and Grooverider are always a solid choice!. I saw Grooverider just after he got out of prison in Dubai and he was immense. 

Must confess I'm not familiar with too many names, so gonna have a hunt around now for some stuff on soundcloud to see what's worth checking out. But then, some of my favourite Arcadia times have been when I haven't had an effin' clue what I've been dancing too.. :lol:

7 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Here's the point, team.

This is not about the techno snobs simply whining, or having a go at the other genres on the line-up.

It's just an observation that there is, proportionately so little genuine techno on the overall line-up compared to other genres.

No, Glastonbury is not a 'dance' festival, but the dance element is a huge part of the line-up, entertaining a significant proportion of the festival goers, both at night and earlier in the days. Given that, it's not unreasonable to think that the profile of the genres would be not dissimilar to the more dance-orientated festivals.

This year there is a huge amount of DnB, a huge amount of tech-house, a significant amount of house/disco and very little techno. the relative proportions do not, IMO, reflect the broader clubbing picture today, where techno remains right up there with the most popular genres. In fact, if you look in Mixmag (you might choose not to!) they give a 'chart' of the relative popularity of the different genres based on number of attendees, events, etc. Over the last few years tech-house and techno have see-sawed over and under one another as numbers 1 and 2 in the list, and whilst tech-house is clearly the most populous current genre in terms of those who go to dance to it (for many reasons which I won't go into here, for fear of being branded a techno snob!), techno remains number 2.

Is that popularity reflected in the number of each genre's artists so far announced at Glastonbury? Not even close. And, though the most highly (over...) paid DJs in the world are mostly techno DJs, as others have said here and elsewhere, there are LOADS of fantastic artists, many British who are well within Glastonbury's budget and who would give a bit more variety to this year's line up.

know Patrick Topping is flavour of the month at the moment, but when you see him listed for all three main days but your favourite genre is significantly under-represented, it just grates a bit.

At least Jon Hopkins is playing the Spider and I will be there. And, there is just about enough techno on the line-up, but the artists would need not to clash much at all!

:)

Ben

Who would you like to see on the line up? I have drifted so far out of the loop i probably couldn't name a 'proper' techno dj. Are the likes of Marco Carola and Locodice techno? From what i can work out Awakenings has a pretty big impact on availability over Glastonbury weekend.

Personally i would love to see Joris Voorn on the farm. I guess i will have to keep wishing and waiting.

1 minute ago, Slugworth said:

Who would you like to see on the line up? I have drifted so far out of the loop i probably couldn't name a 'proper' techno dj. Are the likes of Marco Carola and Locodice techno? From what i can work out Awakenings has a pretty big impact on availability over Glastonbury weekend.

Personally i would love to see Joris Voorn on the farm. I guess i will have to keep wishing and waiting.

£££££

25 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Are Techno DJs more expensive than others? Also, is that why to my memory they've never had Andy C? I have no idea how much he charges, but I guess its more than other DnB DJs....

Andy C was on Arcadia in 2013 IIRC. I'm not sure of DJ fee's but would have thought techno Dj's demand more. Why? I have no idea. Carl Cox was booked recently and he played twice so i wouldn't have thought money would be too much of an issue. 

40 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Andy C was on Arcadia in 2013 IIRC. I'm not sure of DJ fee's but would have thought techno Dj's demand more. Why? I have no idea. Carl Cox was booked recently and he played twice so i wouldn't have thought money would be too much of an issue. 

To be fair you could offer a dnb dj a 4 pack of red stripe and a bag of green and there'll be a fairly good chance hell play untilhe runs out of times or skins

• Upvote 1

Andy C played the Hell Stage in 2015 as well, I know from experience that he charged our local festival £4K for an hour set, it did mean he finished at 11pm though and in Basingstoke it's fairly easy to get to London within 50mins so I'm guessing he did a bit of a deal. Would imagine he would charge more for a club set, and probably about the same or less for something like Glastonbury, he's a thoroughly lovely chap and can't imagine he would be too fussed about pulling in a massive fee for the right gig. 

12 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Are Techno DJs more expensive than others? Also, is that why to my memory they've never had Andy C? I have no idea how much he charges, but I guess its more than other DnB DJs....

not really. there's big names in every genre who get paid accordingly. I'd say that the amount and level of big Techno names is certainly lower than House, which has a lot more DJs and acts who are popular/mainstream, and as such are more expensive because they are in demand.

there's quite a few House DJs at the farm this year who would be in the same ballpark for fees as the bigger Techno names.

On 26 May 2017 at 2:06 PM, Tommy101 said:

We had the Danube, only one of our group ventured in to above her ankles and she came out all blotchy. 

Would love to go back but if I did I'd make sure that I had a proper bed. No one slept in their tents, everyone was just kipping under trees etc. Didn't get much sleep then drove back to Portsmouth in 36 hrs (3 drivers in shift). Pretty stupid thing to do looking back but it was very fun.

Great festival and City whilst Exit is on. Last two times we have stayed at hotel Milka which has a rooftop large paddling pool and 24hr bar on the roof with decks/BBQ, slightly out of town though.

Also been in the river few times with no problems! Good way to start the day party under the bridge or at any of bars. Or straight from the festival when it slow down at 9/10am!

Friday night Arcadia visit for us

6 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Andy C played the Hell Stage in 2015 as well, I know from experience that he charged our local festival £4K for an hour set, it did mean he finished at 11pm though and in Basingstoke it's fairly easy to get to London within 50mins so I'm guessing he did a bit of a deal. Would imagine he would charge more for a club set, and probably about the same or less for something like Glastonbury, he's a thoroughly lovely chap and can't imagine he would be too fussed about pulling in a massive fee for the right gig. 

Aye, he does seem lovely. And I've seen him so many times in small venues (altho, not for years, sadly), so I guess he doesn't charge too much. I was just hoping to see how cheeky little name somewhere, but I guess its not to be

6 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

not really. there's big names in every genre who get paid accordingly. I'd say that the amount and level of big Techno names is certainly lower than House, which has a lot more DJs and acts who are popular/mainstream, and as such are more expensive because they are in demand.

there's quite a few House DJs at the farm this year who would be in the same ballpark for fees as the bigger Techno names.

As an old git I'm impressed that you know who all the acts are on the respective dance stages well enough to determine that none of them are techno ;)

I get as far as "ooh I've heard of that" and hopefully "I've heard of that and in an appropriate state of disrepair I'd have a shimmy to it" 

*goes to make ovaltine*

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You sound like one of the metal-heads complaining there's never enough metal at glastonbury. Maybe the techno lot had to make way for the earache express! So your first two culprits to blame are @willutalk, @waterfalls212434and @thatcrazypenguin

the `dance` genre has an entire fucking village with multiple stages not to mention the glade, spaceport, arcadia, beat hotel and all the rest......fuck anyone who says metal doesnt deserve one stage at this festival. ABOUT DAMN TIME! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

As an old git I'm impressed that you know who all the acts are on the respective dance stages well enough to determine that none of them are techno ;)

I get as far as "ooh I've heard of that" and hopefully "I've heard of that and in an appropriate state of disrepair I'd have a shimmy to it" 

*goes to make ovaltine*

Right there with you!  I've literally no idea who anyone on the Arcadia lineup is (apart from Groove Armada) but I'm sure there will be something I'd enjoy bopping along to under the spider!  *Goes to make hot choc*

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, JacquelineS said:

I forgot about this whole thread. The show was amazing! Definitely a highlight of the Festival. I actually got a whack of photos from the Sunday night. Here are a few:

34817741894_2c08d1eb10_k.jpg

34817756884_4712078439_k.jpg

34849817993_5910b57260_k.jpg

35271767480_e3c1d9c2c3_k.jpg

35658992365_bf733dd59e_k.jpg

35832443492_58b461fc28_k.jpg

35911141255_d571e1a044_k.jpg

incredible photos ... definatly worth an upvote... thought they were from the arcadia site initially 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, JacquelineS said:

I forgot about this whole thread. The show was amazing! Definitely a highlight of the Festival. I actually got a whack of photos from the Sunday night. Here are a few:

34817741894_2c08d1eb10_k.jpg

34817756884_4712078439_k.jpg

34849817993_5910b57260_k.jpg

35271767480_e3c1d9c2c3_k.jpg

35658992365_bf733dd59e_k.jpg

35832443492_58b461fc28_k.jpg

35911141255_d571e1a044_k.jpg

Awesome. What camera do you use? Always worried about taking a decent bit of kit to a fest