Newbie with question

dutton316

Hi,

First post here. This will be my first Glastonbury; I'm already excited and and not there yet!

Could someone help out a newbie and point me in the right direction.

I'm coming alone. I've read about groups that camp as individuals, but not seen anything specific. What's the procedure with these? Do threads pop up nearer the time (am I daft and not spotting them)?

I'm not as able to handle late nights as I was. Is there a quieter area to camp in - any other recommendations on where to camp? Adding to this is the fact that my back and joints aren't as good as they used to be,so would like to avoid carrying weight too much. I've heard that trolleys aren't a great idea as the ground isn't really suitable.

Any general tips for a first timer at Glastonbury? Anything I ought to know?

Thanks in advance!

31 minutes ago, dutton316 said:

Hi,

First post here. This will be my first Glastonbury; I'm already excited and and not there yet!

I'm coming alone. I've read about groups that camp as individuals, but not seen anything specific. What's the procedure with these? Do threads pop up nearer the time (am I daft and not spotting them)?

I'm not as able to handle late nights as I was. Is there a quieter area to camp in - any other recommendations on where to camp? Adding to this is the fact that my back and joints aren't as good as they used to be,so would like to avoid carrying weight too much. I've heard that trolleys aren't a great idea as the ground isn't really suitable.

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at this mate, should tell you all you need to know about a decent solo camping area. I'm just getting ready to start my night shift but I'll reply properly in a little while.

55 minutes ago, dutton316 said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Hello dutton316,

You really would be well served reading this (see link below), in addition to hooking up with others at Camp Solo. The information is invaluable, in my opinion, and the knowledge it will give you will mean that you'll have to learn less when you get there.

http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq

As far as my personal advice goes - use the Lock Ups to store your valuables, and make sure that you know thoroughly where you have pitched your tent. It's easy to 'know' where you are when you have pitched it in the daylight, but quite another matter trying to find it again in the dark after a night out, and when other people have pitched their tents since you arrived and pitched yours. I would advice using a trigonometry type method of pin pointing your location.  If you have a smart phone, I believe that you can input your co-ordinates before leaving camp and then use your phone to make your way back to your camping pitch.  

Oh, one other thing - are you in for a surprise at it's scale and how fab it is. Enjoy. :)

How exciting - your first Glastonbury will be amazing :) check out Camp Solo (link above)

With the trolley - you should avoid the cheaper, supermarket ones, anything with poor wheels isn't going to serve you well. I have a folding fishing trolley http://camping.efestivals.co.uk/off-roader-heavy-duty-festival-trolley-1035-p.asp like this one. And it's managed through mud etc. I even take it when I'm travelling on the coach, fold it down and pop it into a big blue IKEA bag so it doesn't take up lots of room. I wrap cling film around it - just incase we have any ra*n. But we won't this year :) 

As a first-timer the only advice I could ever give anyone is try not to see everything - it just isn't possible. Enjoy yourself, you're going to have a fab time :D

Thanks very much for the responses guys.

I've just read the FAQ, really informative. There's so much to it like you say @sheffieldlady I don't think I'll fit it all in in one year!

I'll pop over to the camp solo thread in a minute, that looks a really good idea.

Bought walking boots yesterday, started wearing them in today. Need to get a tent and something to sleep on and I think I'm set! Getting excited!