What level of security would you accept?

PillingerClan

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Whilst I don't disagree with you at all, getting a Glastonbury ticket doesn't require ID, just an acceptable photo, an address and an email address. These could all be fake and as long as the picture looked like you and you had access to the address to receive the tricket then you shouldn't ever need ID. Having said all that I still firmly believe this process would render the likelihood of anyone bothering to be very slim. The only way I could see it happening is if a terrorist specifically wanted to target Glastonbury, and was prepared to go through the rigorous process of being In a position to do so.

You have to remember these people want to go through with what they have planned, I think there's a lot of risk for them to bother. Not discounting anything after today really but just seems unlikely.

4 minutes ago, magliad said:

You have to remember these people want to go through with what they have planned, I think there's a lot of risk for them to bother. Not discounting anything after today really but just seems unlikely.

I 100% agree, it's just that technically no sort of ID is required to register and get a ticket so that in itself is not a barrier to terrorists, but the only way I could see it happening is if a particular individual had a specific aim to target Glastonbury, which in itself is highly unlikely. I don't doubt for a second that if a terrorist was thinking about targets, if Glastonbury even came up then it would be dismissesd out off hand as just too difficult and risky to bother with.

Look I'm taking my kid and pregnant missus and fuck any angsty nerd who thinks blowing people up will scare the shit out of me. 

But then I deliberately went for a weekend on the piss in Nice two weeks after their attack to a) show solidarity and b to say fuck you, so perhaps this is just the way I look at things. 

When troubled geeks attack your way of life, live it exactly as you would if they never existed, otherwise it's not your life your living but a pale substitute for it. 

Edited by Ohinever

I would guess that the greatest risk of attack is at the queues to get in. You can minimise that by arriving at a less busy time, which I tend to do anyway as I don't like queuing.

That aside, I don't think that there is a huge risk. Targets like football or other sporting events, even state events like "Trooping The Colour" a busy Railway Station, etc. It's more dangerous crossing the road and that is a fact.

I wouldn't worry at all about attending a festival. Death will find you when it is your time.

5 hours ago, PillingerClan said:

Following awful events in Manchester I know everyone is in shock.

My knee-jerk reaction is that I can not take the kids to Glastonbury this year - do I have a right to take a gamble with their lives? Clearly that is a decision that only I can make but my question is what level of security would you accept?

We already have to queue for hours to get through the ticket checking process and there are a few bag checks but not many. Would you be willing to wait longer so that every bag can be checked/ scanned?

and - would that be enough anyway - I am sure a device could be put together from a variety of components all carried to the festival by different people.

What can realistically be done to avoid such terrible events?

The risks is low. Bring the kids and let them see Glastonbury at it's finest. The place where all are welcome regardless of colours or beliefs. The place where peace and love and understanding rule. XxXxX

I did highlight a few areas that are weak to my older brother some years ago but I will not list what they are ' here ' just in case some of these Evil Bastards are reading this website.

sadly every festival is a easy target and the tighter the security all your really doing is moving the problem.

I am reluctant to drop any hints and I wont - 

its heartbreaking watching the News - just showing my age I had no clue who Ariana Grande was but I can appreciate why there was so many young people attending.

it is so sad that so many families have been affected.

Wouldn't surprise me though if the See database was getting run through the security services watchlist, if it wasn't already. I image that'll become more common for registration events I expect. If they can access or check any credit card or Internet provider databases a ticket company would be a cinch for them. 

It has not affected how I think about the security at Glastonbury.  The security and police there do an amazing job.  There is no need for them to search each and every bag, rucksack, tent bag, crate of beer.  People wouldn't get in until the Sunday night.  

If it's going to happen, it's going to happen.  Just like every plane journey we ever get since 9/11 and every tube journey we take since 7/7.  Even if the security do search every bag, what will they look for?  I'm taking about 5 camping gas canisters, for instance, and a penknife.  Should they be taken off me, or should I be stopped from going in? 

If we start stopping our kids going to concerts and festivals, they have won.  That's it.  We may as well all just sit in bed under the covers for the rest of our lives. 

I'm not scared.

Edited by Fork_UK

2 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

martial law basically declared...and no parliament to prevent it....sorry but that is a massive fucking overreaction....that didnt even happen after the london bombings, I dont think its ever happened in our lifetime has it? 

13 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

sure we`ll all feel so much safer when we cant even walk down the street without seeing heavily armed soldiers....fucks sake...who gives may the power to do this shes not even the fucking pm technically at the mo!

Not an MP, 100% still the PM however

14 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Cynic in me thinks there is political (votes) to be gained by raising the level. But they could well have more intel from Manchester.

I'm thinking there's votes to be gained too. If true, it's disgusting behaviour from the tories but i wouldn't expect anything less tbh

30 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

martial law basically declared...and no parliament to prevent it....sorry but that is a massive fucking overreaction....that didnt even happen after the london bombings, I dont think its ever happened in our lifetime has it? 

Get a fucking grip.