What level of security would you accept?

PillingerClan

6 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

People/the media connect more bobbies on the beat with reducing terror attacks. When you see armed police in shopping centres in the past few days it's more to give public confidence in going out and feeling better, rather than preventing any terror attack. Bobbies on the streets will never stop an attack like this. Bobbies behind desks or educating in schools, or scanning the web and gaining intelligence on potential suspects, that's the only place where attacks like these can be prevented. I would love more bobbies on the beat but times are hard, there is less crime these days, but there is far more crime off the street nowadays where the police need to be, whether that be cybercrime or gaining intelligence on potential terrorist attacks on our streets. 

I think there are two part to fighting acts like this. One is as you say behind desks work but I still think bobbies on the beat working in the communities can highlight potential problems and extremists within those communities 

6 minutes ago, Pink_Tequila said:

I think there are two part to fighting acts like this. One is as you say behind desks work but I still think bobbies on the beat working in the communities can highlight potential problems and extremists within those communities 

and the tory party have cut down on both kinds of policing, front-line and behind the scenes intelligence gathering etc thats why it fucking pisses me off when I turn on sky news and their going on about putting the armed forces on the streets being a `typical tough on terrorism move by may`.....tough on terrorism? shes arguably helped to create a higher risk of terrorism then ever because shes cut back on those who keep track of these people and their plots as well as those who tackle them when they try to take action!

But no lets ignore all that, theresa may put troops on the streets(well not on the streets outside downing street) so shes tough on terrorism, Jeremy corbyn however the man who wants to reverse policing cuts and who is renowed for strongly opposing the conflict which in the ashes of allowed isis to even gain power is a threat to us all......just ask the sun....lol

First of all I'd like to say that I've only read the first page of this thread, so what I have to say may have already been said (and if so, probably down voted in a most ironic manner) on other pages. I don't want to frighten anybody, or piss on their parade, but, to me, I'd say that Glastonbury would be an ideal target for a terrorist attack (I know this is heresy on here, but free speech is free speech).

There are a few reasons why I think this. I'll bullet point them in an attempt at being brief;

(1) First of all Glastonbury is, to my mind, almost a national institution. I believe that a successful attack on it would give the terrorists a distorted sense of kudos.

(2) From what I can gather Glastonbury would be seen in the eyes of ISIS, ISIL, Daesh or whatever you want to call these terrorists as one of the very pinnacles of western immorality and hedonism.

(3) A terrorist suicide bomb attack on the queue in to the festival would wipe out masses of people, cause mass panic, the cancellation of the festival etc

(4) Some have argued that the bag checks would put off a terrorist from attempting to get in to the festival and carry out a suicide bomb attack within the fence. I simply can't see how anybody who is that demented that they are going to kill themselves and other innocent people is going to be worried about getting caught. They aren't going to give a flying fuck, in my opinion.

(5) Some have argued that the difficulty in getting a ticket would put them off. Why would it? If they've pre-registered then they've got as good a chance as any and probably more so, as they would  undoubtedly, have a lot of people trying for that ticket or tickets.

(6) There are ways of getting in to Glastonbury which don't involve doing a twix job, scaling the fence etc. I know a few but will not mention them here in detail, because I don't think advertising them would be a clever move. My point is that a terrorist who has done their homework could use one of these avenues.

(7) A suicide bomb attack in front of the Pyramid Stage during a main headliner would, surely, be seen as a PR coup for a terrorist organisation wanting to improve moral among it's supporters the world over.

Actually, I could go on further with the list but think I'll leave it there as I reckon I've made my point. As I said initially I have written this because we are lucky to have free speech, both on this site, and in the wider community within the UK, and I felt the need on this thread to exercise that free speech even though what I have said may upset some people.

Just one final thing to say - will what I have said stop me from going to the festival? Will it bollocks. Fuck them bastards. If we don't carry on as normal then they'll have won a major battle, and personally I'm not going to contribute to any defeat.

Met with a few friends today who said vehicle passes and wristbands for crew are already mandatory. Usually they are not issued this early. 

General thoughts are that the crowds outside the fence are at most risk. It is a worry that everyone in the crowd outside will have a rucksack or trolley. Having said that nobody thinks that there is going to be a problem, except for a shabby bunch of headliners :)

On 2017-5-23 at 1:51 PM, PillingerClan said:

Following awful events in Manchester I know everyone is in shock.

My knee-jerk reaction is that I can not take the kids to Glastonbury this year - do I have a right to take a gamble with their lives? Clearly that is a decision that only I can make but my question is what level of security would you accept?

We already have to queue for hours to get through the ticket checking process and there are a few bag checks but not many. Would you be willing to wait longer so that every bag can be checked/ scanned?

and - would that be enough anyway - I am sure a device could be put together from a variety of components all carried to the festival by different people.

What can realistically be done to avoid such terrible events?

If you had listened to a lot of the news they where saying that security should be all the way to the trains.. Coaches ect and as one so called expert said big festivals are already doing this and have been doing it for a long time.. I reckon your as safe as anywhere at a festival such as Glastonbury.. 

Also if you look at these sick attacks there's nowhere that they wouldn't hit so hey you've just got to keep doing what your doing if you don't they will win.. 

I also don't like the term terrorist.. Animals is a better term for them.. Also once it's been on the news don't keep showing it every ten minutes... It's what they want and it can't be nice for the victims families and friends..