Explosion at the M.E.N

H.M.V

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, maybe - but whatever, easier options were available to her and she's not taken them.

Putting on an even bigger show in Manc is the biggest up-yours she could possibly give to what happened, and I've only got admiration for her for that. 

Oh definitely, I just mean I hope she gets through it ok and it doesn't bring on things like PTSD etc. I think my friend will be going, which must be so hard. 

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

As Mrs Two Hats said "there's going to be a lot of crying at that gig"  

Sometimes sharing in a united grief is healing. I'm still really so sad about what's happened. Did you see Wendy's tribute to martyn? It was beautiful 

1 minute ago, Lucy92 said:

Sometimes sharing in a united grief is healing. I'm still really so sad about what's happened. Did you see Wendy's tribute to martyn? It was beautiful 

No, I didn't, when was that?  We watched a lot of the Heaton Moor thing on Facebook live, but I eventually turned off.  My wife knows the Hetts a lot better than I do, although she'd never met Martyn either.  Although he did crop up in conversation quite a lot!

Fucks sake, how amazing. I've been distracted by sick family and missed this news and now I've got something in my eyes again. I've had this eye watering problem for a week now. But its been accompanied by heart swelling pride. 

12 hours ago, somecoolusername said:

Free tickets are being offered to anyone who was at the original gig. Really fucking amazing thing to do, and so soon after. I hope it will help some people heal. 

I bought my friends and nieces ticket so have applied for 2 last night.

Little nervous how her niece will handle it but she is a tough kid so may be the best thing for her.

2 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

I bought my friends and nieces ticket so have applied for 2 last night.

Little nervous how her niece will handle it but she is a tough kid so may be the best thing for her.

I think a lot of people probably don't know how they're going to handle it, but I'm sure it'll help a lot of people. If it's too overwhelming there's always the option of just leaving. No shame in that.  

17 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No, I didn't, when was that?  We watched a lot of the Heaton Moor thing on Facebook live, but I eventually turned off.  My wife knows the Hetts a lot better than I do, although she'd never met Martyn either.  Although he did crop up in conversation quite a lot!

She left a chair empty because he was supposed to be there in the audience and said a piece about him. Was really moving 

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Very strange seeing someone I know (even if not terribly well) on the front page of the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/31/manchester-attack-victim-martyn-hett-brother-dan-stop-using-politicise-immigration

That is absolutely heart breaking reading that :-(

My youngest lad set off for 3 months work in New York yesterday. He decided to go stay at a girlfriends place in Manchester for a couple of days before flying out. 

Got evacuated earlier on today ;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40132725

At the moment he is due to fly out tomorrow and has no access to any of his stuff.

Not the best way to start a long trip.

• 2 months later...

Arena reopening September 9th with a benefit gig. NGHFB, Courteeners, Blossoms, Rick Astley playing. https://twitter.com/CapitalManc/status/897716577600196613

Surely would've been more appropriate to book acts appealing to the demographic caught up in the attack, to help them feel safe and supported in starting attending the arena again. Booking your usual dull middle-aged guitar bands seems like a missed opportunity. But at least they're doing something I guess.

Edited by Zac Quinn

7 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Arena reopening September 9th with a benefit gig. NGHFB, Courteeners, Blossoms, Rick Astley playing. https://twitter.com/CapitalManc/status/897716577600196613

Surely would've been more appropriate to book acts appealing to the demographic caught up in the attack, to help them feel safe and supported in starting attending the arena again. Booking your usual dull middle-aged guitar bands seems like a missed opportunity. But at least they're doing something I guess.

That's what they did for One Love Manchester though. If they tried to do that again it'd just be a lesser version of that, whereas this is something different but staying true to Manchester and a reason to close the night with Don't Look Back in Anger.