Explosion at the M.E.N

H.M.V

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woke up yesterday to the sickening news in Manchester!!

totally share the sentiment expressed by so many on here in the last 36 hours. This feels particularly raw! Live music is such a huge part of our lives! We post on here religiously because of it we debate it, disagree about it, laugh and cry listening to it.

the people at the concert would have been buzzing for months about this night, for many it would have been their first concert, it should have been that amazing experience that gets under your skin and sets you up to enjoy the most incredible habit of a lifetime!

ive been going to live music events for over 30 years now. My 14 year old daughter is finding her music tastes and just recently has been enquiring about going to gigs herself, she is the sort of person that was targeted! I would have been that parent waiting outside, itching to see the joy on her face from the concert.

words can't convey what I'm feeling today, I'm sitting watching the news channels today numb, teary and shocked! I haven't felt like this since hearing about the atrocity in Dunblane!

I won't stop going to gigs! I will take my daughter to any shows she wants to go to because music transcends all the differences out there that cause friction in society.

huge respect to Manchester!! The togetherness and solidarity has been overwhelming!

huge respect to the emergency services!!

huge condolences to those effected personally! Stu and Lucy thinking of you just now!

peace and love

Just awful. My 9yo was at a gig with a couple of our friends and their kids the day before. We felt nervous that night as it was her first one away without us being there in a big crowd. She like Ariana Grande and had I known it was on, could well have been there.

The empty feeling in the pit of my stomach when I seen all this cannot be truly described. Been To the MEN so many times and a couple of times with the kids. Had just bought a couple of gig tickets to take both the kids for later in the year but it'll be a while before I tell them.

Words help some more than others. I can only say deepest condolences to anyone affected by all this. Heartbreaking reading. Be strong all :sorry:

This morning I found that Martin Hett was a childhood friend of my step-brother. It really is a small world. RIP to Martyn & lots of love being sent to everyone who loved him. 

So sorry to hear the sad news about Martyn, thoughts are with everyone who knew him.

Thinking of everyone who has been affected by Mondays terrible events, just so so sad. I cant even begin to comprehend what others are going through xx

Like everybody else I was sorry to read this in the news. How do you cope with grief like this? Martin's family are lucky to know Stu and Lucy who both demonstrate their humanity and warmth on this forum every day and, I am sure, will be a comfort.

19 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

He was also good friends with some of my partners friends 

He was very  clearly one of us!

That sounds wrong - I mean a Glastonbury kind of bloke. 

Edited by amfy
Meaning

33 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

Fair enough that's how you feel but I don't feel safe at the moment around Piccadilly, music concerts etc. I'm in Manchester city centre everyday. It's a normal reaction but I guess extra security around will help this.

I agree, it is a normal reaction. I do think that those who are frightened of going to gigs should remember that, despite this awful, cowardly attack, we are actually very safe at concerts. To be clear, loss of life is terrible and I'm not minimising it in any way - 22 people dead and more than 50 injured are a terrible cost. However, the numbers from Manchester and Bataclan both show that in the event of an attack succeeding, even if you are in the venue you are still very unlikely to be a victim. That is no comfort to the families of those dead and injured but I personally believe in understanding risks in their context.

2 hours ago, sunnydaysblue said:

Fair enough that's how you feel but I don't feel safe at the moment around Piccadilly, music concerts etc. I'm in Manchester city centre everyday. It's a normal reaction but I guess extra security around will help this.

I'm here every day (I'm currently on Oxford Road) - I can't say I feel any different than I did this time last week. I was at the Lowry and it didn't cross my mind last night.

I am at an all day event in London on Saturday and I have thought "I wonder if that would be a target" - but you can't think like that. I'm going.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just spent an hour sat in a gay bar right next to Trafalgar Square. If I can surivive that then you're probably going to be okay!

Why would sitting in a gay bar be tricky to survive? Have I missed something?