Explosion at the M.E.N

H.M.V

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'd literally have forgotten to go if I hadn't combed through this thread when I got home from work today. Thanks for reminding me, he did an absolutely amazing job of taking my mind off the horrendous shit of the past 24 hours.

I stayed awake all night last night; firstly trying to figure out what had happened, then worrying and hoping nobody was badly hurt, then panicking and hoping it wasn't intentional, and then just disbelief. Going into work today wasn't pleasant, the city was so eerie and quiet. At work I sit next to a window which overlooks the arena and Victoria Station just a few hundred yards away, for everybody in the office the whole incident was just constantly there, everything just felt wrong. I feel so terrible for the victims and their families, it's just unimaginable.

Obviously the pragmatic thing to say is to get on with everything as usual, follow routine and don't let the terrorists win. Everybody I know is definitely trying, but there's just been a constant feeling that everything is wrong. A place a lot of us walk through every day and has been a constant innocuous place for so many years - a lot of us all our lives, has been turned overnight into a place of brutal senseless violence.

Same story for myself, (apart from I had fallen asleep & didn't know until 7am Tuesday)

I had to walk from Collyhurst on Tuesday, as I got to Miller Street, (looking down towards the arena) - a surreal and very unpleasant silence hit. It actually "hit" too. You could feel it rather than hear it. 

A friend told me her son's friend was there. She is physically fine, but "saw injured people" and is traumatised. She is only 12 years old. 

Life has to go on, as heartless as that may sound - thats why Stewart Lee last night was quite important. If laughter stops, if music stops, if life stops - there is nothing left.

22 hours ago, verrymerry said:

Mew?  Me too, had such a nice time and didn't have a clue what had gone on until this morning, absolutely devastated by whats happened in our city :(  

@Lucy92 and @stuartbert two hats have you guys heard anything yet? xx

Bit late to the game here but yeah, was Mew - it was a great gig, got right to the front much to my fanboy delight.  Wasn't until I was home when we saw the news, and then stayed up for the entire night watching the news as we couldn't sleep.

We went out last night (the night after Mew) to the vigil and then Broken Social Scene at Albert Hall, which was an incredibly emotional concert, brought tears to pretty much everyone's eyes, especially during a bit of therapy instigated by the lead singer where he asked everyone in the audience to scream all of their frustration, sadness, and anger out on the count of three.  It was deafening, and it sounds pretty cheesy, but it was so moving.

So glad none of the concerts in Manchester last night were cancelled. Was such a strong sense of community, solidarity, and all the other things that make me love this city so much. I've only lived here for a year but I feel so much closer to the city than I did when I lived in London for nine years.

I'm so sorry to all affected. If there's anything any of us can do for you at this horrendous time, please don't feel like you can't ask.

I've lived in Manchester all my life until recently moving to London. I wish I was still up there now. A city full of resilience, tolerance, togetherness and love. It's all just been tripled as well. So heartbroken by what has happened but also so proud of our great city. Stay strong. One love.

Terrible to hear. So sorry for his family, friends and those on here who were anxiously awaiting news of his safety. Utterly ridiculous but I felt like I knew the lad after spending time on here yesterday and seeing/retweeting all the pleas for info on his whereabouts. Devastating.

2 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

Sorry if already mentioned but gone up to critical level now. Manchester is not the place to be right now. I went to a concert last night in Birmingham there were searchs and extra security. It seems music events are the targets.

Anywhere that has large groups of people enjoying freedom is a target. I was out in Manchester yesterday evening and have never felt safer.

6 minutes ago, Mattty said:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/benhenry/cries-for-a-million-years?utm_term=.ilK3oNp7O#.xuqdmoj5G

Martyn Hett everybody. Lets all be the best that we can be today.

Seems like such a lovely person from reading that, he made his mum so happy and went out of his way to do so. I can't even imagine how she will be feeling and my heart goes out to her.

Sorry for your loss guys, thoughts with all affected by this awful act x