Drug Testing in Festivals

Logan1996

It's brilliant.

I was at Kendal Calling, where The Loop did this last year, but they didn't advertise it in any big way.

It was in the back of the welfare tent there.

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don't see any possible downside to this and every festival should have it.

I think I read in the BBC article that they destroy the drugs after testing which seems like a pretty big downside to me.

Edited by rumpola

26 minutes ago, Simpo said:

It's brilliant.

I was at Kendal Calling, where The Loop did this last year, but they didn't advertise it in any big way.

It was in the back of the welfare tent there.

Was that after the death etc in 2015?

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

In think the idea is you only give them a tiny piece of what you have though.

That certainly makes more sense.

I was thinking you would give them a pill, they would then test it and then turn around to you and say "these are fucking great" before throwing it straight in the bin :lol:

20 minutes ago, Flysheet said:

Was that after the death etc in 2015?

Yes. They were also checking so many people's bags on the way in.

But pleasingly, the security were more pleasant to deal with, contributing to a really wonderful atmosphere last year. Albeit they were on to some nearby campers like lightning when they were being too brazen about what they were taking!

2 minutes ago, Simpo said:

Yes. They were also checking so many people's bags on the way in.

But pleasingly, the security were more pleasant to deal with, contributing to a really wonderful atmosphere last year. Albeit they were on to some nearby campers like lightning when they were being too brazen about what they were taking!

We were in Emperors in 2015 and could have taken a meth factory in!

1 minute ago, Flysheet said:

We were in Emperors in 2015 and could have taken a meth factory in!

Haha, never been round that end myself.

They also had a visible police presence at the entrance in 2016.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/08/03/488540144/making-sure-ecstasy-is-ecstasy-volunteers-test-drugs-at-u-k-music-fests

48 minutes ago, Simpo said:

Haha, never been round that end myself.

They also had a visible police presence at the entrance in 2016.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/08/03/488540144/making-sure-ecstasy-is-ecstasy-volunteers-test-drugs-at-u-k-music-fests

Good, it was getting daft and too many young kids doing stuff they weren't used to 

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don't see any possible downside to this and every festival should have it.

The possible downside is security and police using it to mark out future busts. How simple is it to follow people out the drug testing tent let them get a little bit away from the tent and then bust them for possession ?

Edit - I really believe the people running it are 100% genuine ;

"One of the key things is to win the trust of people who are giving us illegal drugs. This isn't an undercover police sting. Genuinely, it's a health and welfare issue," Measham says. "The police have been very supportive of that. So they don't stand anywhere near the tent. We don't want them to scare off potential customers."

However never trust a copper as my mam would say.

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong

2 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

The possible downside is security and police using it to mark out future busts. How simple is it to follow people out the drug testing tent let them get a little bit away from the tent and then bust them for possession ?

True, although you would have hoped this wouldn't be in the interests of any festival operating the scheme, they can't do too much about the police but they can about their own security, I don't think it would do any festival any good to operate this scheme and then get a reputation for using it to bust people. From the point of view of the police, I see it a bit like the situation where you have speed cameras painted yellow. If they are hidden you are actively encouraging people to speed into a know blackspot, if they are painted yellow then you are encouraging people to slow down when driving through the same black spot. You'd hope the police would take the attitude that it's better for people who will use drugs to do it safely, rather than use it as an opportunity to bust them.

I reckon most coppers at festivals aren't too bothered by the users, but would go after the dealers. The people going to check their stuff at the testing station have already bought it, so following them is more likely to lead the copper to the dance tent than the dealer's.

3 hours ago, uscore said:

I reckon most coppers at festivals aren't too bothered by the users, but would go after the dealers. The people going to check their stuff at the testing station have already bought it, so following them is more likely to lead the copper to the dance tent than the dealer's.

I don't know what it's like in the UK but in Ireland the cops will gladly nab you at a festival for having tiny amounts of drugs. One of my friends got caught with a gram of weed at a festival last year. He had to appear in court and pay a fine, no conviction once he payed the fine and he has no record but still a pain in the ass. I only saw cops once at glasto last year but at Irish festivals they're everywhere.

Drug testing would obviously be a good thing although these days you don't hear of people taking dodgy disco biscuits as much.