Rate/Improve my Wednesday bar crawl

payneruk

This year I’m going with 7 newbies. So I’m thinking of taking them on a Wednesday bar crawl to show them the rough layout of the site and have a drink at some of the cool / iconic bars along the way.

Hopefully gonna be camping at my usual spot at Row Mead so that’ll be the start & finish line.

So starting off at Row Mead, head west along the top of the Pyramid field to the new (to me) bar in The Wood.

Out the other end turning south at John Peel down to the Beat Hotel for a cocktail and 1st boogie of the festival.

Then head through the Dance Village, Other Stage and Arcadia to check out Cinermageddon (assuming there’ll be a bar there).

Now head east though The Park (get some photos with the Glasto sign), Tipi Fields and stop off at the Stone Circle for a sit down to rest the legs.

Next, have a wander through the naughty corner (if open). Then turn north, through Avalon to get a nice refreshing pint of Lemon cider at the Brothers bar (please let there be lemon this year)! This is usually where my normal gang have a lay down for a cider induced nap.

Once recharged. Circus, Theatre and grab a  pint the Cider Bus. Before making the short crawl back up to the tents.

I know I’ve missed LOTS of places but I wanted to leave some areas to discover for themselves. And I wanted to do a loop rather than zigzagging all over.

Has anyone got any cool bars along this route that should be added in? I’m thinking somewhere in The Park and SE corner (needs to be open on a Wednesday).

Thanks

Be adding the Bimble Inn in the Park.

Wouldnt bother with the naughty corner on Weds afternoon anyway - the first experience should be in the dark, and would imaging large parts unopen at that stage

Add the Avalon Inn before the Brothers Bar.

Maybe Williams Green Bar (cant remmeber what its called) after T&C

1 minute ago, stuwilky said:

Be adding the Bimble Inn in the Park.

Wouldnt bother with the naughty corner on Weds afternoon anyway - the first experience should be in the dark, and would imaging large parts unopen at that stage

Add the Avalon Inn before the Brothers Bar.

Maybe Williams Green Bar (cant remmeber what its called) after T&C

Some good points there. Especially SE corner.

52 minutes ago, payneruk said:

Next, have a wander through the naughty corner (if open). Then turn north, through Avalon to get a nice refreshing pint of Lemon cider at the Brothers bar (please let there be lemon this year)! 

Edited by Eks101

theatre bar missing there too in T&C fields as have Belgian beers in there or if you like a cocktail Cockatoo bar at entrance of T&C fields does awesome cocktails - recommend The turtle dove

oh oh and the Acoustic bar for all your real ale needs :D

33 minutes ago, swede said:

Id be stopping off at the Pennards Organic Wine lodge if I was you, the hot rum punch there is amazing 

Went here last year for the first time after the brothers bar. Don't remember leaving it! Great bar.

29 minutes ago, swede said:

I think it's usually in Avalon 

Wow, how did I miss that?  I seem to remember an organic wine stall on the strip going from Avalon to Leftfield (I think) - if I don't spot it in Avalon, small area to search so won't be a wild goose chase, I'll try retrace my steps to the place I have in my head but never looked closely at (but will now if there's warm punch).

In my opinion you're trying to cover too much area. You need some time to chill and take in the surroundings. Don't forget they will also have Thursday to explore as well

If I was planning a crawl from Row Mead, i would head first head to the right of The Pyramid as your face it (Mandela?) Then they can sit in front of the Pyramid and take in the view! then I would head to the Cider Bus then across to Acoustic and take in some real ale, then down to the Williams Green bar, then down to the Brother Bar. At this point I suspect it will all fall apart, it usually does for me, and I am usually unable to remember anything else after a couple of quickly downed pear ciders

If you are still standing then across to Avalon then up to the Stone Circle, by which time it will be dusk/dark. maybe even Strummerville

And you still have Thursday to explore JP, Silver Hayes, Arcadia and the Park!

Agree with the post to leave SE conrner until its dark if you havent been before

31 minutes ago, payneruk said:

Hows about 'background music' or is there literally no music?

Taking a scenic route on my own back to the tent last year at about 1am on Wednesday night, I saw the Beat Hotel seemed to be bouncing with one of my favourite songs, Once In A Lifetime, playing. It was one of those "Yessssss, I'm at Glastonbury!!" moments.

I was gonna say maybe it's resident DJs on the Wednesday, but I've just checked and they had an announced lineup for the first time last year

CRUCIAL & FRESH 01:00 - 03:00
HEAVENLY JUKEBOX 23:00 - 01:00
MR NORMSKI (FUNK & SOUL SET) 21:00 - 23:00
REGGAE ROAST 19:00 - 21:00

So looks like a good spot to hit before bed on Wednesday to me!

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

In my opinion you're trying to cover too much area. You need some time to chill and take in the surroundings. Don't forget they will also have Thursday to explore as well

If I was planning a crawl from Row Mead, i would head first head to the right of The Pyramid as your face it (Mandela?) Then they can sit in front of the Pyramid and take in the view! then I would head to the Cider Bus then across to Acoustic and take in some real ale, then down to the Williams Green bar, then down to the Brother Bar. At this point I suspect it will all fall apart, it usually does for me, and I am usually unable to remember anything else after a couple of quickly downed pear ciders

If you are still standing then across to Avalon then up to the Stone Circle, by which time it will be dusk/dark. maybe even Strummerville

And you still have Thursday to explore JP, Silver Hayes, Arcadia and the Park!

Agree with the post to leave SE conrner until its dark if you havent been before

Hmm maybe a smaller loop then. Brothers and Cider Bus are traditional for me now. 

38 minutes ago, Simpo said:

Taking a scenic route on my own back to the tent last year at about 1am on Wednesday night, I saw the Beat Hotel seemed to be bouncing with one of my favourite songs, Once In A Lifetime, playing. It was one of those "Yessssss, I'm at Glastonbury!!" moments.

I was gonna say maybe it's resident DJs on the Wednesday, but I've just checked and they had an announced lineup for the first time last year

CRUCIAL & FRESH 01:00 - 03:00
HEAVENLY JUKEBOX 23:00 - 01:00
MR NORMSKI (FUNK & SOUL SET) 21:00 - 23:00
REGGAE ROAST 19:00 - 21:00

So looks like a good spot to hit before bed on Wednesday to me!

That sounds like a plan for the Wednesday night.

19 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Good luck. 

In my experience people can't wait to start shoveling booze into themselves as soon as the tents are up. We then stop off at the cider bus before arriving at Brothers and it all goes 'pear' shaped. Noises, shouting, darkness and then it's Thursday.

Maybe I am being too optimistic.

You've just described my usual Wednesday.