Making your tent as comfy as possible.

Smashers

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I genuinely don't understand this - what's the advantage?

I don't like taking a bottle of piss to the long drops to empty, or take it home with me. Travel Johns are much better for either of the above. I'm a bit of a hygeine freak though.

I found the blow up mattress (which I used for 4 previous Glastonbury's) a good option but the cold ground does make the air in the mattress cold. I never felt very warm. I started to put a  foil  blanket under the mattress along with one of those picnic blankets. Seemed to help!

As I've said, the Dreamboat mattress is a  whole different story!

Another vote for the duvet!

In campervan this year but tent tips 

Self inflating mattress with a sheet on it. Duvet and pillows. Best nights sleep ever had in a tent. 

Buy cheap pillows and duvet and they don't take up that much room as come vacuum packed. If you open the packs carefully you can get them to stuff back in for the trip home aswell.  

As another nesh person a foil backed roll mat under air bed, a lightweight fleecy blanket and a hooded fleecy top seems to keep me a bit warmer at night.  Also I always roll my sleeping bag up and put the blanket over it when i leave in the morning as ive found sometimes it can feel a bit damp when you get back at night. Defo a chair (for campsite) and a stove for morning coffees.

Edited by midlifecrisis
Also a proper pillow!

10 hours ago, Dave_c said:

Buy travel Johns rather than doing your deed in a Lenor bottle. Work fo both men and women.

Planning on buying these tomorrow for the first time.

How many urinations can one deliver into said John? Couple? Worth it? 

Just now, Stokesy10 said:

I only do one per John but I very rarely go in the night so I only use them in the morning if I can't be arsed getting ready to go to the toilets. I have bought 12 for me and the Mrs and usually come back with a few.

4 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I only do one per John but I very rarely go in the night so I only use them in the morning if I can't be arsed getting ready to go to the toilets. I have bought 12 for me and the Mrs and usually come back with a few.

Will try them. Like the Lenor idea but can't be arsed to carry that or take up valuable space in my bag.

14 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

You can do at least 2. I have tried no more ! Test at home before you leave for glasto :) 

14 hours ago, Dave_c said:

I don't like taking a bottle of piss to the long drops to empty, or take it home with me. Travel Johns are much better for either of the above. I'm a bit of a hygeine freak though.

Out of interest, how are you disposing of the Travel Johns then?

It's extremely anti-social to put them in the regular Festival rubbish bins, as reportedly they're prone to bursting and some poor sod from the recycling crew has to sift through the debris.

2 hours ago, incident said:

It's extremely anti-social to put them in the regular Festival rubbish bins, as reportedly they're prone to bursting and some poor sod from the recycling crew has to sift through the debris.

I bring a heavy duty black bag and put them in it and take them home with me.

2 hours ago, incident said:

I never thought about that. Now I feel bad..... :unsure:

3 minutes ago, karaseen said:

I never thought about that. Now I feel bad..... :unsure:

I never thought about it until someone from the recycling crew posted about it on a similar thread before. But I've got maximum respect for the recycling crew, so anything that can be done to make their jobs easier (which admittedly might be slightly contrary to the topic of this thread) is a good thing.

Though personally I've never actually used travel johns, I find a bottle (specifically one with a built in handle) is the best option for me.

Just now, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

I read this every year. I'm not sure what is wrong with people that they cannot make it to the toilets. Do you guys keep a bucket next to your beds at home ? I've been going for years and camped all over the site and never been more than a 5 minute stroll from the nearest toilet.

It's more the middle of the night situations when you have to get out of bed, get dressed, struggle to get wellies on then troop through the mud to go to the loo. When the weather isn't so shit I'll do that but when it was like it was last year the travel Johns came in handy.

12 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

It's more the middle of the night situations when you have to get out of bed, get dressed, struggle to get wellies on then troop through the mud to go to the loo. When the weather isn't so shit I'll do that but when it was like it was last year the travel Johns came in handy.

This.

It takes me 10 minutes to get my boots off when I'm sober and even more time to get them back on. Not going to be dealing with that in the middle of the night.

6 hours ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

I read this every year. I'm not sure what is wrong with people that they cannot make it to the toilets. Do you guys keep a bucket next to your beds at home ? I've been going for years and camped all over the site and never been more than a 5 minute stroll from the nearest toilet.

Never thought I would until the year I was at Glastonbury suffering with gout. We brought the comfort bottle just in case. It didn't get used till the Friday. But once I did I never looked back.

All the hassle of getting up and dressed in a cramped tent at 4 am, bladder close to bursting point when it woke you. Worst of all in the muddy days as the trousers, boots and laces will be caked. Bugger that. A quick kneel in the porch with the bottle and back to bed.

I have a few rolltop dry stuffsacks , available from camping stores or sports soccer etc. Means I can keep my clothes dry in the dampest of conditions. Space blanket people does the 'highly flammable' label on the space blankets concern you? I bought a few to take this year but have doubts !