Father John Misty

defrio29

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Pure comedy is a million times better than fear fun. 

No. Pure Comedy was Iman Johan Fishy thinking that Bored in the USA was worth stretching across a whole album (it wasn't)

Pure Comedy sounds like what I imagine people who don't like Father John Misty hear when they listen to Father John Misty

Edited by PretentiousThinkpiece
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

Not heard the first album then? I'd say it's his best.

I have, I think his music grows with each release, I think that Fear Fun is the weakest out of all three..

The only song I quite like from that is Nancy, but I'd rather have him play Real Love Baby (which he does not seem to play in festivals)

11 hours ago, PretentiousThinkpiece said:

No. Pure Comedy was Iman Johan Fishy thinking that Bored in the USA was worth stretching across a whole album (it wasn't)

Pure Comedy sounds like what I imagine people who don't like Father John Misty hear when they listen to Father John Misty

My friend hates him and when I heard the new album I immediately thought this is what he hears when he listens to him. 

I went back to it this afternoon and agree entirely with the Bored In The USA across an entire album comparison. It's just so one paced and really reminds me of the sort of stuff he was writing before he joined Fleet Foxes but on a piano instead of acoustic guitar. 

Having said that I'll be there watching him wherever he happens to play. I just hope he brings his showmanship again as by the end of the Honeybear tour he was just going through the motions. 

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Right, I feel I have to jump to its defence against the assault and I listened to it again last night and Pure Comedy just grows and grows with every listen. I admit you have to be in the right frame of mind to put it on, but if you are it's brilliant. 

Although it is one-paced, there is enough subtle variation in there. Hardly any of the songs are just him and a piano or guitar. I can understand why it's easy to write off after one or two listens, but I think it's very unfairly derided, and although most of it is nearer to Bored in the USA than True affection, the statement that it is just that stretched over an album is utter tosh.

The first four songs could easily have slotted on to Honeybear, and the arrangements throughout the album are really interesting. Magic Mountain, The Memo, Dying Man and Pure Comedy are up there with the best he's done.

The lowest point on the album is probably the last track or bigger paper bag but they're not too offensive. History could end up judging this as his piece de resistance IMO.

Yeah it's good. I haven't revisited it in a while but that's mainly because any chance I get to listen to music atm I'm checking out acts from the Glasto lineup. Really looking forward to his set; hoping he's on early to avoid clashes.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You've really surprised me on this one, lawn. I expected it from the general public, but thought better of you. 

It's taught me you're not one whose dismissiveness should be trusted on here as I once thought it was. 

I often think on the Monday that it's all gone by so fast; won't be thinking that if I pop by Vater Johann Neblig's set this year

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

So did anyone else think this was amazing? I went into it only really knowing the Pure Comedy stuff and bits of I Love You, Honeybear but I was blown away by his set, easily my highlight of yesterday. 

It was amazing so uplifting, came away with such a warm glow 

Loved fear fun and saw him tour after, enjoyed it. I love you honeybear was terrible and his act became this irritating foppish over the top thing where the crowd consisted entirely of couples swaying... Pure comedy is a return to form for me. 

• Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

New album on its way next year, apparently he's mixing it next week. Some guy on reddit has said FJM has spoken about it in interviews and says it has more up-tempo songs than Pure Comedy

Jeez, doesn't mess abit does he! I did hear a little while back that he had the whole album written but didn't think it would be along this quick :D

Seeing him in Cardiff later on this year so hopefully could be treated to some new material.

Also, this guy needs to headline a stage in 2019.. I have no idea why he wasn't headlining the JP this year.

Just now, Jobseeker said:

Jeez, doesn't mess abit does he! I did hear a little while back that he had the whole album written but didn't think it would be along this quick :D

Seeing him in Cardiff later on this year so hopefully could be treated to some new material.

Also, this guy needs to headline a stage in 2019.. I have no idea why he wasn't headlining the JP this year.

yeah apparently he has LP5 written too. He's very prolific, think he released 8 J Tilman albums in 7 years whilst he was also in Fleet Foxes. Missed him at Glastonbury this year due to clashes but going to End Of The Road so am very much looking forward to seeing him headlining there.

6 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

yeah apparently he has LP5 written too. He's very prolific, think he released 8 J Tilman albums in 7 years whilst he was also in Fleet Foxes. Missed him at Glastonbury this year due to clashes but going to End Of The Road so am very much looking forward to seeing him headlining there.

Flaming heck, I haven't actually ever listened back to any of his Tillman albums, any worth checking out?

Oh boy, you are in for a treat.. He is majorly on form this tour, bringing brass and strings along and everything. Not sure how keen you were on PC but the songs live are something else. 

Have a watch of this, if you are tight for time skip to Bored in the USA. 

Due to clashes had to miss him at Glastonbury but watched it on the BBC and it was fantastic. I will be seeing him next month in Winnipeg so I was not too concerned about missing the Glasto performance. Really looking forward seeing him! The Winnipeg Interstellar Rodeo is fairly small so I should be able to get up nice and close as well. 

12 minutes ago, Jobseeker said:

Flaming heck, I haven't actually ever listened back to any of his Tillman albums, any worth checking out?

Oh boy, you are in for a treat.. He is majorly on form this tour, bringing brass and strings along and everything. Not sure how keen you were on PC but the songs live are something else.

I haven't listened to them all but from what I have heard Vacilando Territory Blues is probably the best. Singing Axe and Year In the Kingdom very good too. Not gonna lie I cant really remember them very well as they all kinda blend into one a bit in my head. Theyre all very acoustic/folky, think Bon Iver's first album. Howling Light off Year In The Kingdom is the most famous of his tracks under that name. Really beautiful track.

Glad to hear it, I love Pure Comedy. Probably my favourite of his albums.

Edited by rhg_99

7 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

he's just announced a date at Brighton Dome on November 9th, tickets on sale friday.

There is a way to get tickets early for this, and it's pretty funny how :D Not sure if you have heard about it, I can PM to uthe details if not.