Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Platt073

Blues at Glasto 2017

Recommended Posts

Gary Clark Jr was very enjoyable last year. No names jumped out at me on the initial poster but I'm sure there'll be something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're only an 'R' on the lineup page at the moment, but if they do play, I reckon North Mississippi Allstars are worth a look.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did see the missippi alstars were rumoured on the poster, forgot I already noted that one.

Be good if the bar Bourbon Street returned.

Edited by Platt073
Error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Eric Bibb may make a return this year - it seems to be his pattern to do alternate years.  Usually in the Acoustic around 6pm IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Baby 

Playing in Silver Hayes and Shangri-la I think. 

Their newer stuff is more psychedelic and trance but still a lot of gospel and blues influence. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

My Baby 

Playing in Silver Hayes and Shangri-la I think. 

Their newer stuff is more psychedelic and trance but still a lot of gospel and blues influence. 

 

I wouldn't ever call that blues mate but bloody hell it sounds great. Gone right to the top of my must see list. Cheers! 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mr gumby said:

They're only an 'R' on the lineup page at the moment, but if they do play, I reckon North Mississippi Allstars are worth a look.

These guys are fantastic. Saw them at Cambridge Folk Festival a couple years back and blew the roof off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Gary Clark Jr was very enjoyable last year. No names jumped out at me on the initial poster but I'm sure there'll be something.

 

Yeah, Gary Clark Jr was great last year.

Need the main man himself this year, Mr. Bonamassa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Give mark lanegan a go?

Just do that anyway. He's one of the genuine highlights on the card this year. And it's with the band not solo so will be louder, harder & dirtier. Cannot wait. 

Plus he's on the park stage, not far from bimble inn where Johnny Fairhurst pitched up at least once last year, and that had other blues acts on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Just do that anyway. He's one of the genuine highlights on the card this year. And it's with the band not solo so will be louder, harder & dirtier. Cannot wait. 

Plus he's on the park stage, not far from bimble inn where Johnny Fairhurst pitched up at least once last year, and that had other blues acts on. 

Absolutely do this, he's right at at the top of my to see list (praying he doesn't clash with Radiohead).

Also Angel Olsen, not out & out blues but if you're a blues fan I think you'll like her.

Chris Jagger should be straight up blues.

Did anybody catch Joanne Shaw Taylor last year, unfortunately she's in The Netherlands all weekend so no chance of a return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Listening to him now. Brilliant. A real find for me.

Ha cool. You've got one hell of a back catalogue to explore, all the way back to screaming trees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Absolutely do this, he's right at at the top of my to see list (praying he doesn't clash with Radiohead).

Also Angel Olsen, not out & out blues but if you're a blues fan I think you'll like her.

Chris Jagger should be straight up blues.

Did anybody catch Joanne Shaw Taylor last year, unfortunately she's in The Netherlands all weekend so no chance of a return.

Yes caught Joanne Shaw Taylor, she's absolutely brilliant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen suggestion that the excellent John Fairhurst will be playing a few shows around the site, as usual, though nothing concrete.

Some blues names from lower down the bill:

  • Keifer Sutherland plays pub blues rock.
  • My Baby as mentioned above
  • Z-Star Delta are a 2-piece blues band, playing the Rum Shack (and others too I think)
  • Miraculous Mule are "a three-headed blues monster from Kentish Town"
  • A lot of double guitar maestro Rodney Branigan's set could loosely be described as blues
  • Hymn for Her play " juiced-up backwoods country blues with a dose of desert rock psychedelia"
  • Echo Town play folk/rock/reggae/blues, with a didgeridoo

Check them all out on the Spotify playlist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

I wouldn't ever call that blues mate but bloody hell it sounds great. Gone right to the top of my must see list. Cheers! 

Yeah it's a different take on it, their first few albums were very bluesy. I first saw them as a support act to Seasick Steve, they've got very groovy and use a lot of synth effects on the guitars these days but still a quality act. Seem them 5 times now at various gigs and fests and they're worth it. Helps that the singer is so easy on the eyes but they're lovely people too. 

Edited by Trout Mask Replica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think John Fairhurst did a tour with My Baby so hopefuly Mr F will be back too. That My Baby track was awesome!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

I think John Fairhurst did a tour with My Baby so hopefuly Mr F will be back too. That My Baby track was awesome!

Yeah, John was their support act on most recent tour. Got to chat with him a bit. Nice guy, great musician. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×