Worthy FM 2017

Franky

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The proper broadcast starts this year 12pm on Monday 19th June, and runs non-stop until 12am on Tuesday 27th June. We might be testing the stream and studio with just a broadcast of music from earlier on on Monday 19th, but that's TBC. You can listen on 87.7fm as you get close to the festival site (and onsite too of course), or online / via your phone via www.worthyfm.com. Feel free to tweet us shout outs or requests too, we love them :D

2 minutes ago, G1T said:

The proper broadcast starts this year 12pm on Monday 19th June, and runs non-stop until 12am on Tuesday 27th June. We might be testing the stream and studio with just a broadcast of music from earlier on on Monday 19th, but that's TBC. You can listen on 87.7fm as you get close to the festival site (and onsite too of course), or online / via your phone via www.worthyfm.com. Feel free to tweet us shout outs or requests too, we love them :D

Will do :) Ta

4 minutes ago, G1T said:

Thank you ,will listen on the Monday evening in padstow in our van getting ready to move the next morning. :-) 

1 hour ago, G1T said:

Any chance of an increase in power?  You're a barely audible crackle as we turn onto the A37!

1 hour ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Any chance of an increase in power?  You're a barely audible crackle as we turn onto the A37!

Sadly not, as an RSL broadcaster our broadcast power is limited by the license. It's the fact the festival site is slightly down from the top of the hill where Pilton is that restricts our range to the north. We go much further south, and west along the valley to the M5 is generally fine too. We're looking at other solutions for this, but they're a bit tricky given our setup needs to be as simple as possible. Running a radio station 24/7 from a portacabin on a dairy farm has its challenges, so simplicity in terms of tech is what's needed. That said, our online stream is pretty solid these days, so listening online via your phone in your car is an option if you've got the data. But yes, we're aware of the range issue, and are definitely looking at options to improve it. I've got a computer modelled map of our projected range somewhere, will see if I can dig it out for reference...

40 minutes ago, G1T said:

Sadly not, as an RSL broadcaster our broadcast power is limited by the license. It's the fact the festival site is slightly down from the top of the hill where Pilton is that restricts our range to the north. We go much further south, and west along the valley to the M5 is generally fine too. We're looking at other solutions for this, but they're a bit tricky given our setup needs to be as simple as possible. Running a radio station 24/7 from a portacabin on a dairy farm has its challenges, so simplicity in terms of tech is what's needed. That said, our online stream is pretty solid these days, so listening online via your phone in your car is an option if you've got the data. But yes, we're aware of the range issue, and are definitely looking at options to improve it. I've got a computer modelled map of our projected range somewhere, will see if I can dig it out for reference...

Shame.  Would be interested to see it though. 

I love tuning in on approach to hear what's going on.  Was quite frustrating though last year to hear from those who had made it into the site whilst sat stationary in a queue of cars!

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Are you allowed to play any music from the festival itself?  Sometimes it feels a little bit isolated from what's going on. A set or even a snippet of something on the smaller stages would improve things a lot, especially once it gets going.

that would be good

2 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

I love tuning in on approach to hear what's going on.  Was quite frustrating though last year to hear from those who had made it into the site whilst sat stationary in a queue of cars!

That's useful feedback, thanks! It's always hard to get it right for everyone listening. Some people want to celebrate getting in so tweet us to say they have, others are still waiting to get in. I'll mention it to the presenters this year though to see if we can work on the balance some more.

2 hours ago, shuttlep said:

Can you get worthy FM on DAB?

I'm pretty sure you can. I haven't got the details to hand, but I think it gets sorted via our streaming provider, will add to the list to check.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Are you allowed to play any music from the festival itself?  Sometimes it feels a little bit isolated from what's going on. A set or even a snippet of something on the smaller stages would improve things a lot, especially once it gets going.

We don't broadcast from stages, that's the BBC's job. We do get a lot of people in to perform live acoustic sessions on air during the week though, all of whom are appearing at the festival that year. We aim to cover the whole festival, from the random acts playing six different stages over five days, to the crew who keep the site running and the charities campaigning on site, to all the festival goers who actually make the place what it is. As well as traffic, travel, campite density reports and previews of what's going on on site that day. Plus Daddy Teacha.

On 30/05/2017 at 8:01 AM, danbailey80 said:

Any chance you'll put up previous years to listen again? This is something you used to do. Would love to hear them.

We can put the live sessions and features up online, and probably should put them back up again. They came down when we moved to the new website, and just haven't gone back up again. Will add to the list! The shows themselves are more difficult though, as we'd need a PRS license for streaming recorded music in a listen again format, which can get costly. Personally I'd love to, but our remit is to broadcast during the festival rather than be a station all year round.

On 30/05/2017 at 3:53 PM, scollyer said:

I asked this question last year but I have forgotten your answer. Is you transmitter (or transmissions) horizontal or vertical. Just want to make sure I set my aerial up correctly for the best reception.

I honestly have no idea! Will ask and get back to you.

On 30/05/2017 at 3:59 PM, Johnkhutch said:

Any chance of a job? I've three years student radio experience! :P 

Yep, although we do this through having a competition for crew places around December / January before each festival. We had one this year, it was up on the website and our Facebook page for a month, and it then closed. We should hopefully be doing the same again for future broadcasts, so keep an eye on both of those around December / January before a festival and enter that way. We do take a good few student radio people though as we like giving people the experience and opportunity to learn, so don't feel like you have to sound like a Radio 1 DJ to get in.