Crowd surfing

Fladog

I think live and let live is a better way to view things.  There is a degree of gig etiquette;  If someone looks crushed or panicked, try and make them some space, if someone goes down, help them up, make sure they are ok, if someone bashes into you while dancing/moshing/moving a bit drunkenly through the crowd a quick "no worries mate" form yourself usually comes timed at the same time as their "sorry mate".  We are all trying to enjoy the gig our way in a shared space, not all of us enjoy it in the same way.  Tolerate those who are having a different experience, don't judge them, don't try and prevent them from doing so and certainly, I would say, don't hit them.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Amanda Palmer did the best Glastonbury crowd surf in 2013; wore a big fabric rainbow trailing for many many metres behind her and crowdsurfed around singing summat or other. Literally one of the very best Glastonbury sets I've ever seen and any time I bring it up nobody else seems to have been there, it's a great shame.

She was brilliant - a real highlight. And, since their luggage was lost, I can't quite figure out how she managed to keep her kit on.

45 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Crowdsurfed down the front, but only to tuck in Uncle Fester's t-shirt.

By the time I'd surfed back it'd already popped out again.

1437755229_billy-corgan-178.jpg

Inner thoughts; "Why did he have to draw attention to my paunch?"

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I think live and let live is a better way to view things.  There is a degree of gig etiquette;  If someone looks crushed or panicked, try and make them some space, if someone goes down, help them up, make sure they are ok, if someone bashes into you while dancing/moshing/moving a bit drunkenly through the crowd a quick "no worries mate" form yourself usually comes timed at the same time as their "sorry mate".  We are all trying to enjoy the gig our way in a shared space, not all of us enjoy it in the same way.  Tolerate those who are having a different experience, don't judge them, don't try and prevent them from doing so and certainly, I would say, don't hit them.

Totally agree with all of that until the last bit mate, but crowd surfers now aren't just 'having a different experience' they are impacting negatively on your experience, with zero regard or respect. 

Dont get me wrong in the old days I'd join in and lift them up if asked or carry and hold them up, when they did it properly and floated as an other poster said. But not now. The worst part i see now is how they actually get up onto the crowd now. Instead of getting a gentle lift up and easing on to people in front, who used to get asked, these idiots get a lift off their ketted up steroid filled mates straight up into the air then fuckjng dive head first straight on to people's heads & necks in front. It's more dangerous than a spear tackle in rugby. Can't stand it and I won't apologise for giving them a crack after treating me and my experience with zero respect and total disdain. 

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:35 PM, Bonaneas said:

Always give em a few punches though nowadays, and try take their shoe off.

Does it matter how old they are? I mean would you punch a kid in the face? What about male/female? Does that matter? What about if it was a member of the band you were watching? Do they get a free pass or do you go at them all punchy too?

19 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Does it matter how old they are? I mean would you punch a kid in the face? What about male/female? Does that matter? What about if it was a member of the band you were watching? Do they get a free pass or do you go at them all punchy too?

I am completely indiscriminate when it comes to protection & defence of my welfare and physical being. Dog bites me it gets kicked off a bridge. Cat scratches me it gets drowned in a bag. Seagull shits on my car I haunt its offspring for generations by sellotaping chunks of bread to the inside of cafe windows along rundown seaside promenades. Coffee flavoured revel makes me heave I raze all coffee plantations to the ground and salt the fields behind me. 

I would love to be as meek, pacifistic and self sacrificial as you evidently are, but evolution just didn't build me that way. 

9 minutes ago, donkeykong said:

I'm a bit old for it these days but just popped in to join the 'I first crowd surfed to Ash' club, when they had a residence at the Ashtoria, 1997

Seems like they were a popular band to pop our surfing cherries to! Great memories of these guys back in my teens, still blast out 1977 now and again to reminisce. Shame they aren't down to play this year.

Edited by Filthy_Luck

13 minutes ago, Filthy_Luck said:

Seems like they were a popular band to pop our surfing cherries to! Great memories of these guys back in my teens, still blast out 1977 now and again to reminisce. Shame they aren't down to play this year.

They're still touring and bang on form. Saw them in a really small venue in Chester last summer, no more than 3-400 people. Was the 2nd hottest gig Ive ever been at. Sweat killed my phone which was in pocket. Great night! 

18 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

I remember the lads in the dingy during Faithless as we were talking to them later in a bar and they mentioned. Only young but we're really nice to talk too as really passionate about their music

So why were they watching Faithless

27 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

I am completely indiscriminate when it comes to protection & defence of my welfare and physical being. Dog bites me it gets kicked off a bridge. Cat scratches me it gets drowned in a bag. Seagull shits on my car I haunt its offspring for generations by sellotaping chunks of bread to the inside of cafe windows along rundown seaside promenades. Coffee flavoured revel makes me heave I raze all coffee plantations to the ground and salt the fields behind me. 

I would love to be as meek, pacifistic and self sacrificial as you evidently are, but evolution just didn't build me that way. 

Well we can't all be this cool and groovy.

32 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Ha ha ha.I didn't realise I was arguing with a parody account. Well done, you got me!

16 minutes ago, Voucher Boy said:

So why were they watching Faithless

Faithless was a great set that year and there was a lot of love in that field for that set..

tbh there were crowd surfing in a dingy not really watching the band lol

26 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Faithless was a great set that year and there was a lot of love in that field for that one monotonous song everyone kind of half remembered from the 90s that was saved until last and then spun out for twenty minutes. 

Sorted that one for ya. Was the crowd like this for the final 20minutes? :D

IMG_7261.JPG

1 minute ago, Bonaneas said:

Ha not really. They've milked that one song to death for decades and gotten away with it. Still, if they rocked up at the glade on Thursday afternoon I'd go have a gander and mumble along for a bit ! 

It was actually We become one that got the biggest reaction if i remember correctly but know what you mean on the above lol

Faithless were and are amazing, so many tunes beyond Insomnia. And I'll crowdsurf right at at anyone who disagrees :lol:

Based on the surfing I've done and seen it's actually quite hard not to flail a bit, as you do tend to get thrown rather than passed. But yeah, try not to be a dick when you're up there, don't get your mates to launch you, and don't start too far back where it's obviously going to fuck people off!

13 hours ago, Fladog said:

Brudenell in leeds is by far my favourite place to watch gigs, I saw slaves there a couple of years ago, WOW...............

I'm from manchester and recently went here for the first time, AMAZING. And not just because it's so incredibly cheap. 

Earlier that day I was at a gig in Key Club and some comes up guy decided he wanted to crowd surf on the pit. He got on stage and dived on to us. There were three of us. I just threw him and let him carry on his trajectory, he kneed my mate in the face and landed on his own face. I like crowd surfing and pitting at the right gigs, I mainly go to punk gigs but I wouldn't expect it at the hip hop gigs I go (run the jewels surprised me in that manor).

Agree with Bonaneas about people being bad at crowd surfing though, keep your feet up and trust the crowd!

Carter USM at Brixton for their last ever gig in 2014 broke the record for crowd surfers and most of us late 30's / 40's. 

Do miss the crowd going nuts down down the front, been saying it for a few years now. Still a great pit for the early 90's, pre-Britpop bands like The Wonder Stuff and Ned's Atomic Dustbin though. 

On 19/05/2017 at 6:32 PM, plaskins said:

This reminds me of the moshing thread a few years ago - that was intriguing and had a varied response.

Whats wrong with moshing? I went to a Perfect Circle gig once, and they had a sign up saying "no crowd surfing, no stage diving, no moshing". Seriously, no moshing?? All that happened was everyone pushed as far forward as possible, and I ended up getting squished up against some massive dude with dreads, and when i finally couldnt handle anymore, somehow got out of the crowd and very nearly passed out. Meanwhile nothing awful ever happened to me in or near a mosh pit. 

I love Perfect Circle and all but sometimes they can be complete tools.... :rolleyes: