Crowd surfing

Fladog

What's happened to crowd surfing? Years ago at festivals and gigs you'd see loads for punters crowd surfing but I cant remember the last gig I went to when I saw anyone do it?

Has it become extinct?

Are the people that used to do it ,myself included, to old to be throwing themselves over a bouncing crowd?

Are the kids of today to cool to do it?

Is it illegal?

Has the boring health and safety brigade put a stop for it?

WHERES IT GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Fladog said:

What's happened to crowd surfing? Years ago at festivals and gigs you'd see loads for punters crowd surfing but I cant remember the last gig I went to when I saw anyone do it?

Has it become extinct?

Are the people that used to do it ,myself included, to old to be throwing themselves over a bouncing crowd?

Are the kids of today to cool to do it?

Is it illegal?

Has the boring health and safety brigade put a stop for it?

WHERES IT GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Well now.

I think crowd security are less keen on it, depending on the gig.  Saw quite a bit at Download.

Requires a densely packed crowd that's into crowd surfing.  If you tried surfing at the Pyramid for example you'd either plummet because the crowd is too sparse, or plummet because you've hit a crowd of Ed Sheeran fans who don't understand what's happening.

Really only works with certain kinds of music I think.

I got too heavy and kept getting dropped :lol:

I went to see a fairly small band - Splashh - at the Bussey Building in Peckham recently and people were actually crowdsurfing - so it does still exist!

Don't really miss it too much though. At Reading 93 (only time I went) was getting a DM in the face about every 30 seconds at the front.

Tim Booth was at it during James' set last year though.

Edited by Homer

Depends on the type of gig/festival. I saw Slipknot at Ally Pally last year and there were hundreds. Don't see it much at Glastonbury as the crowd is quite tame compared to other festivals but there might be a little bit at Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes and surely at the Earache Records takeover.

That said, it does seem to be frowned upon these days. At the O2 Academy in Bristol I've seen crowd surfers helped over the barrier and straight out of the side door to the pavement, which is a bit out of order but I suppose there are warnings not to do it.

There was loads going on at Royal Blood in John Peel years ago. Was right at the front and had several near misses of muddy boots on my head. It wasn't shown on the tv footage when I watched back. But in general I can't say I've seen too much. Always looks great craic when someone else is getting a muddy boot to the head. 

4 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

There's crowd surfing at every gig in Glasgow. 

That's why Celine Dion no longer plays Glasgow.

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

Why don't we, like the Russian hooligans, have an agreement to all start crowd surfing at a pre-arranged signal?

I suggest when Ed Sheeran launches into Castle on the Hill.

The only problem is that if we all start crowd surfing there'll be no-one to hold us up...

Remember my 1st time crowd surfing was to Ash (more than likely to Kung Fu) at Glastonbury back in '99. Still happens at smaller gigs I go to (albeit mostly punk rock gigs), just leave it to the younger generation now though. It has been 18 years though........... 

A couple at Pete Doherty in Brixton last month. Loads (really loads, like a conveyor belt) at Drenge at Latitude in 2015. They scooped them over the barrier and straight out of the tent for most to come in the back and start over again.

31 minutes ago, Filthy_Luck said:

Remember my 1st time crowd surfing was to Ash 

Same :)  At an indoor gig so sweaty plaster was falling off the ceiling and it was raining indoors.  When you stepped out to the bar people had steam pouring off them, it was fantastic.  I've seen some people get quite sniffy about it in recent years, but for me it really adds to the atmosphere and while rarer than it once was at Glastonbury these days you still see the occasional entertaining use of it (such as the lads in the inflatable pool at Faithless in 2010).

I miss gigs like this:

4 minutes ago, PretentiousThinkpiece said:

i miss getting drunk and going crowdsurfing 

and stage diving to the lawnmower deth classic "satan's trampoline" (they bring out a trampoline) 

Saw them last year.  They had Kim Wilde as a guest vocalist for Kids In America.  To her full credit she gave the death vocals a bloody good go! :lol:

1 minute ago, Dave_c said:

Crowd surfing and mosh pits can fuck right off. If I wanted kicked in the face and pushed around the place I'd join the UFC.

Half with you on this. Nowt wrong with a good mosh pit but, as someone who is 6ft5 and can't duck out the way, crowd surfing can fuck off. Not happened since Leeds fest last year but i always get the boot the elbows and the head right in the back of mine. Always give em a few punches though nowadays, and try take their shoe off. Used to put up with it in younger days but after a car crash that's left my neck & back fucked I snap at anything that could do me any more damage, especially to back of my neck & head.

Crowd surfers = w*nkers, and should be thrown out of any gig.

2 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I'd say people who punch people at gigs should be thrown out myself, but each to their own.

Being kicked, elbowed or kneed in the head, from behind and without warning, is an unprovoked, unwarranted physical assault, and nobody gets away with assaulting me. Simple as.

The first (and only) time I have crowdsurfed was also at an Ash gig - think it was ULU in late 90's.  Me and my mate were near the front and had a bunch of youngsters in front of us (they were probably about 16 years old - group of about 7 of them - we were late 20's).  They were getting quite excitable and we grabbed one of them and hoisted him up on top of the crowd.  His friends loved it and were pointing at him getting surfed all over the place so we grabbed another one of them and surfed him too.  The two of them eventually went over the front and made their way back to the rest through the crowd.  A couple of songs later all 7 of them turned round and grabbed hold of me and before I knew it I was on top fo the crowd hurtling all over the place!!