Nick Mason on Radio 5 this afternoon

babyblade41

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Do you not think it's more important to be honourable? To stick to your word, to what you've agreed to? I mean, yeah, it's the Kings of Leon, dreadful an' all, but you know, you should see some of the arseholes in my family and friends, but still, you have to stand by what you promised to do for them.

for someone as moral as you, Russy, i'm genuinely intrigued that you think agreements and promises are so unimportant. 

I do, but this was an extraordinary one-off event involving one of the greatest bands of all time, brought about by terminal illness so could never ever be repeated. I find it hard to believe kings of leon (or the other two) wouldnt have stepped aside to allow this to happen. Especially if they were given assurances they could headline the next year.

The festival didnt even try! It's baffling.

Kicking a band out of a headline slot a couple of weeks before the festival isn't a runner. Doesn't matter if it was Pink Floyd (which it wasn't) or any other band. 

People had bought tickets thinking KOL were headlining. Not Gilmour and co. 

Calling the festival up in June and asking for a headliner slot is nonsense. That was the year Eavis was "appealing to the younger crowd" etc too. 

If anything, its Kings of Leon we we should be after. They should've stepped aside. The c**ts. 

As I sometimes point out whenever this gets brought up -

The remaining members of Pink Floyd didn't need it to be at Glastonbury to play together. The fact that the "talks" seemingly went no further than a casual phone call to GFL makes it sound less like "trying to honour the last wishes of a dying man" and more in the territory of "let's pretend to look into this to humour a dying man".

And specifically - Live Nation had a big stage stood right in the middle of Hyde Park that was licensed for events for a multi week period with plenty of empty nights. They'd have absolutely loved to use one of those empty nights on a Floyd reunion, and could have geared up to host a crowd of 80,000 at very little notice.

15 minutes ago, incident said:

As I sometimes point out whenever this gets brought up -

The remaining members of Pink Floyd didn't need it to be at Glastonbury to play together. The fact that the "talks" seemingly went no further than a casual phone call to GFL makes it sound less like "trying to honour the last wishes of a dying man" and more in the territory of "let's pretend to look into this to humour a dying man".

And specifically - Live Nation had a big stage stood right in the middle of Hyde Park that was licensed for events for a multi week period with plenty of empty nights. They'd have absolutely loved to use one of those empty nights on a Floyd reunion, and could have geared up to host a crowd of 80,000 at very little notice.

To be fair, IIRC Rick Wright's wish was specifically to play at Glastonbury, not simply to play together again. I wonder how much Glastonbury would have emptied out for the day had PF played a Hyde Park gig during Glastonbury. I have a feeling that they'd have a rush on those 'popping back to my car' wristbands.

However -much as I'd have loved to see Pink Floyd on the Pyramid- given that so much of this discussion boils down to "but this is Pink Floyd!" and "but Kings of Leon are shit", it's pretty clear that it has less to do with honouring a dying man's wish, and more to do with fans wanting to see their favourite band. After all, given Glastonbury's importance, there must be hundreds of musicians for which playing there is an absolute wish.

Edited by pjadnoo

1 minute ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Blimey, had no idea of this story at all.

They just need to play Glasto before the world ends.

3 hour set 

Open with Time

End with One of These Days

Explode The Wall at the back of the Pyramid stage

I'm on acid in the front row

Sorry, cant happen. The kaiser chiefs have been booked and it's impossible to break a contact.

26 minutes ago, pjadnoo said:

To be fair, IIRC Rick Wright's wish was specifically to play at Glastonbury, not simply to play together again. I wonder how much Glastonbury would have emptied out for the day had PF played a Hyde Park gig during Glastonbury. I have a feeling that they'd have a rush on those 'popping back to my car' wristbands.

The specific comments from David Gilmour were:

"One of the last things he wanted to do, in this last year, was to do a big outdoor festival, such as Glastonbury. We weren't able to do that due for all sorts of strange reasons, which, again, is a sadness."

So from that (with Glastonbury used as an example of a big outdoor Festival rather than specifically) I have to assume that there was a lot more preventing this happening than Kings Of Leon already being booked - and that Hyde Park would more than meet the definition, as would loads of other places.

9 minutes ago, russycarps said:
36 minutes ago, pjadnoo said:

it's pretty clear that it has less to do with honouring a dying man's wish, and more to do with fans wanting to see their favourite band.

How is that "pretty clear" exactly?

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

I do, but this was an extraordinary one-off event involving one of the greatest bands of all time, brought about by terminal illness so could never ever be repeated.

People die every day, and some of them will be musicians who would absolutely love to play Glastonbury. Once you acknowledge that this is a special case not simply because it's someone's dying wish, but because it's Pink Floyd then it's clear that personal taste is the key factor. Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely agree that PF are one of the greatest bands of all time, but that's subjective opinion, not some undeniable objective truth. I dare say that, in a few years/decades when Brian May is in the same position, talking about how Queen+Adam Lamber should headline Glastonbury, that fewer people will care as much.

Edited by pjadnoo

5 minutes ago, incident said:

"One of the last things he wanted to do, in this last year, was to do a big outdoor festival, such as Glastonbury. We weren't able to do that due for all sorts of strange reasons, which, again, is a sadness."

So from that (with Glastonbury used as an example of a big outdoor Festival rather than specifically) I have to assume that there was a lot more preventing this happening than Kings Of Leon already being booked - and that Hyde Park would more than meet the definition, as would loads of other places.

Ah, didn't know that! Learn something new every day.

Ah, but

6 minutes ago, pjadnoo said:

People die every day, and some of them will be musicians who would absolutely love to play Glastonbury. Once you acknowledge that this is a special case not simply because it's someone's dying wish, but because it's Pink Floyd then it's clear that personal taste is the key factor. Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely agree that PF are one of the greatest bands of all time, but that's subjective opinion, not some undeniable objective truth. I dare say that, in a few years/decades when Brian May is in the same position, talking about how Queen+Adam Lamber should headline Glastonbury, that fewer people will care as much.

Pink Floyd is a different category of special case that overrides any regular discussion of personal taste.

Read the fine print.

12 minutes ago, pjadnoo said:

huh? it's a special case because it is pink floyd and because it's a dying mans wish.

21 minutes ago, incident said:

Fake news. Sad!

• 2 weeks later...

We went to the V&A exhibition on Monday - highly recommended. I'd like to return, this time not on a bank holiday, although it could be busy all the time. At the end of it you really get a sense that it'd make no particular sense to play again as Floyd now Rick's gone. Their finale was sublime.