Trying to get excited about Foos

BlackZeppelin

4 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

I'm looking forward to them. As one of the few people who have yet to see them I am expecting a good old fashioned rock out and sing-a-long. Ironically it s the Foos vanilla-ness that makes them a great saturday nigh headliner. They have loads of hit records, catchy tunes and simple choruses. In Dave Grohl they have a man who seems to really understand and 'get' the festival. This is not just another gig for them and as such shold be a cracking show.

Spot on :)

I'm not a massive fan, but have seen them a few times over the years due to my cousin being a mega fan and dragging me along (v fest 03, Hyde park 06, Wembley 07). 

Ive always enjoyed it and expect more of the same, but with their understanding of the fest (given what happened 2 years ago & in Feb) thinking that it could be quite special.

Plus my cuz missed out on tickets so has told me to get down the front and go mental for her! If the National are on before then I'll be there already

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, DJ Cull said:

You can pretty much guarantee there'll be secret surprise special guests so if that's your thing then it's worth checking out. Personally, depending on how the clashes work out, I'll probably see either the start or the end, but I doubt I'll be stood there for the full 2.5 hours.

At Leeds festival, Dave Grohl went off on a big speech about Queen, before bringing Roger Taylor's son on.

I almost booed.

34 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Just realised they clash with Alt J. No Foos for me so.

The gf wants to see Alt-J and I think they'll put on an interesting show, so unless JP gives me something good I'll be there.

Mates will go to Foos, but after the third time, I figure their show will get rather annoying.

Followed them since the 90s.

Well written and performed rock music perfected by excessive rehersal and live gigs.

They will play thier hearts out - and clearly recognise the Pyramid stage for what it is.

Im just worried about getting a good view with my 19 year old daughter who is also a huge fan.

For a good sampler- have a listen to Echoes,Silence,Patience  and Grace.Its ranges in style from delicate reflective acoustic pieces to full throttle  rock.

19 minutes ago, simonthecyclist said:

For a good sampler- have a listen to Echoes,Silence,Patience  and Grace.Its ranges in style from delicate reflective acoustic pieces to full throttle  rock.

That's their 3rd worst in my book (In Your Honor and the new one being worse). Each to their own though.

Colour and the Shape is a good listen and Wasting Light and the debut have some good points in too, but they're very hit and miss outside of that.

1 minute ago, The Placid Casual said:

That's their 3rd worst in my book (In Your Honor and the new one being worse). Each to their own though.

Colour and the Shape is a good listen and Wasting Light and the debut have some good points in too, but they're very hit and miss outside of that.

For me Nothing Left to Lose is the best one, then Wasting Light, then the debut and then Colour and the Shape - I get why that's their most loved but it has too many annoying songs on it for me (See You, Up In Arms, February Stars, Enough Space). Each of the others have their moments but there's too much filler, although you'd get one helluva solid record out of the best bits of One By One, Echoes and In Your Honor - All My Life, Times Like These, Pretender and No Way Back are some of their best songs as far as I'm concerned.

I have the same issue as the OP. Cannot get excited for Foos. Saw them twice back in 2011, enjoyed both times but I feel like now i've seen them, have no urge to see them again at all. 

I'm looking forward to it for personal reasons (see long boring story below), but don't think I'd ever recommend seeing Foos to people. I absolutely loved the big bold-stroke nonsensical fun 'bounciness' they had, now their riffs are intricate enough to not be fun but not intricate enough to be interesting, while they try waaaay too hard to put meaning in their songs. 

I struggle to get excited about any album after One By One, but they're fun live. Early 2000s they were SOOOOOO great live, and the bootlegs from the 90s sound even better.  But In Your Hono(u)r onwards they grew into more of a formulaic stadium rock (building up to Hyde Park seemed to be a big turning point).

As for albums: Self Titled to Nothing Left to Lose are pretty much perfect for me. One By One was a decent album with terrible production. From there it went really hit and miss.

If they play Aurora and Hey Johnny Park I'll be over the moon. I have a habit of missing I'll Stick Around every show I've been to (then play it the very next show!!!!), so that'd be nice if it could finally happen.

Long story:

Saw them a dozen times or so 2002-2008, and made plenty of friends at the shows and on their web forum, so they're pretty much the definitive band of my teens. They meant a lot to me at the time, right down to somehow convincing my family to go on holiday to Seattle instead of New York so I could see Foos play the paramount.  

Last time I saw them was at Wembley on my 21st birthday, when they played with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. That was a very special moment for me, in a sending off my childhood kind of way (so saccharine). Glasto will be just after my 30th, so it'll be a bit of nostalgia, and maybe the last time I ever see them? I sure can't see myself spending £60+ on a ticket unless they really turn a corner.

Edited by fowls

I should be excited but I'm not. One of my favorite bands headlining my favorite festival but the thought of watching anyone at Glasto for 2 and half hours is too much, there's just too much other stuff going on and lure of watching  the Jacksons and getting in thr SE corner early is just too much to resist.

Will still get a good 30-40 minutes of the Foo's in before heading to West Holts though 

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Should've been dropped the moment Taylor asked if he could write and sing a song on the album.

The worst bit is the guitar riff is a slight variation on Next Year, WHICH IS A FAR BETTER SONG THEY DON'T PLAY OFTEN ENOUGH THESE DAYS!!

Got to admit, I am nervous about giving Foos a special long timeslot. It's never good when a band think they're bigger than the festival.

Edited by fowls

I'm biased

Very biased

Massive Foos fan into double figure viewing since they started in 95 and Nirvana before that, and if I hadn't got resale tickets in April I was off to Madrid to see them.

However, for the uninitiated, Grohl is one of the biggest and bestest front men going. Not me that said that, my mrs who has seen them once for a shortish (11 song) set, and is much happier sitting and watching the likes of John Bramwell in a pub and can't stand metal (and she's off to see Take That for the umpteenth time next week) came out of a gig saying they were awesome, was glued to the CAG gig and is buzzing for Glastonbury because of them.

Make your own mind up anyhow, but if you haven't seen them, get ready.

Great thing about my first glastonbury last year was saw a lot of bands I either didn't know or don't mind but never felt need to go and see on their own tours . So I will see the foos because I am there and am interested enough to go along but never felt need to see them on tour . 

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "hardcore Foos fan".

My friend is. She goes to glasto every year and was delirious at the thought of seeing Dave and the boys at Glastonbury, despite seeing them countless times before. When he broke his leg she was devestated, even though we went to see them at MK Bowl in the Sept. So devestated that for her birthday (which is the same week as glasto) her family made her a cake featuring the pyramid stage and Dave with his broken leg... 

When she failed to get tickets last year she was anxious as hell, worrying that Dave would be at Glastonbury when she wasn't. But it all worked out perfectly in the end :)

I guess I'll find out if she reads efests after posting this...

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

My friend is. She goes to glasto every year and was delirious at the thought of seeing Dave and the boys at Glastonbury, despite seeing them countless times before. When he broke his leg she was devestated, even though we went to see them at MK Bowl in the Sept. So devestated that for her birthday (which is the same week as glasto) her family made her a cake featuring the pyramid stage and Dave with his broken leg... 

When she failed to get tickets last year she was anxious as hell, worrying that Dave would be at Glastonbury when she wasn't. But it all worked out perfectly in the end :)

I guess I'll find out if she reads efests after posting this...

I can relate to this a-la Radiohead (except without a terrifying Thom Yorke cake, unfortunately).

If I manage to get just the right amount of drunk on the Saturday I reckon there's a good chance I'll screaming my head off to all the songs for the Foos and it'll be amazing. But I'll probably get too drunk and just be near paralytic instead and remember none of it.

The way they announced was more exciting then them actually being announced. I did watch the stream but thought their music got really samey, also them taking the piss out of Lee Scratch Perry then doing a reggae jam after was absolutely diabolical. 

I'll be at The Jacksons. 

Still new here but thought I'd join in. I was a massive nirvana fan circa 93-94 when I was 14-15 had tickets to the Manchester show that never was (on a coach and tickets package so never got the original ticket but that's another story)

my first festival was Reading 95 still don't know how our patents agreed. Anyway I'll skip green day on the Friday into the Saturday which was Bjork headlining and Foos in the nme tent, went to see the whole of echobelly first just to get a spot. It was amazing.

anyway times and tastes change but the next time I saw the Foos was Reading 11 or 12 by which time me and my mates just used to pick one day only (first Glastonbury was 13 my god why! and that's another story I haven't had time to tell yet) I had only a passing interest before but after a day of beers and a great crowd the 2 hour sing along that was their set was amazing and I'm so glad I saw them again.

much more of a National fan these days but I think the Foos will be fantastic as a headliner and I'd urge even the sceptical to go because it will just be fun!

2 hours ago, Flysheet said:

I'm biased

Very biased

Massive Foos fan into double figure viewing since they started in 95 and Nirvana before that, and if I hadn't got resale tickets in April I was off to Madrid to see them.

However, for the uninitiated, Grohl is one of the biggest and bestest front men going. Not me that said that, my mrs who has seen them once for a shortish (11 song) set, and is much happier sitting and watching the likes of John Bramwell in a pub and can't stand metal (and she's off to see Take That for the umpteenth time next week) came out of a gig saying they were awesome, was glued to the CAG gig and is buzzing for Glastonbury because of them.

Make your own mind up anyhow, but if you haven't seen them, get ready.

Actually  the replies in this thread have made me more enthusiastic to give them a go. The potential for some guest appearances could also swing it....would hate to find Jimmy Page and JPJ had joined them up on stage while I was at The Jacksons.