Little things to make the festival better for others

stuartbert two hats

Just now, giantkatestacks said:

I like the camera film solution as then it doesn't contaminate the recycling. We have to put all the different litter in 3 different bags. so if they can be picked up, which is rare, then fag butts will go in waste whereas the beer cups will be compostable. Tedious I know.

That's good to know.  I would have though that tobacco, being a plant would go in with the food waste.  Is it the filters that's the problem, or the tobacco, or both?  I bet loads of fag ends go into the food bins, especially roll-ups. 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, eviepeach said:

Bringing liquid soap is actually a great tip. You can only use alcohol gel for 8 times (without washing your hands properly in between) before it stops working. (I'm a nurse and it's been drummed into my head countless times from years of infection control teachings!)

Wait, what?

5 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I like the camera film solution as then it doesn't contaminate the recycling. We have to put all the different litter in 3 different bags. so if they can be picked up, which is rare, then fag butts will go in waste whereas the beer cups will be compostable. Tedious I know.

Gah - bugger. Certainly never knew that. Apologies for all the work I've inadvertently created over the years. (Surely, has to be slightly better than dropping it though, doesn't it?)

14 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

If you see someone sitting alone, looking worried. Sit next to them and ask if they are ok. Even if they say they're fine they'll remember you tried to help them. 

Equally, if you see someone dancing alone, invite them over to dance with your group. You inviting them over could absolutely make their Glastonbury. 

Group of guys did this at muse with me. Top blokes insisted I join in the sing along with them. Stayed out with them after Too ! 

34 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's good to know.  I would have though that tobacco, being a plant would go in with the food waste.  Is it the filters that's the problem, or the tobacco, or both?  I bet loads of fag ends go into the food bins, especially roll-ups. 

Eek I'm not the expert but rollups are too small to be picked up but yes the filters in both would be a problem (plastics)  - which means that normal cigarettes take years to decompose. Any litter picking effort gratefully received though. 

14 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

Group of guys did this at muse with me. Top blokes insisted I join in the sing along with them. Stayed out with them after Too ! 

Sometimes it pays to make friends with people sitting on their own too. Went and spoke to one bloke who was sitting all alone at Bestival last year, he was working the fest and was there solo so invited him to tag along with our group for the night if he fancied it, he loved it and thanked us constantly, plus it turned out he was a supervisor at one of the bars and told us to come find him the next few days and he'd slip us some extras for free. Top bloke he was.

Edited by mjsell

Just now, eviepeach said:

Alcohol gel builds up a layer if used too much and then it won't work as an anti bacterial cleanser. You need to properly wash your hands after 8 times to wash it all off, then you can use it again. 

Good grief. I've been running the risk of Long Drop Disease from about the Thursday onwards every year without realising it!

Just now, Fearless_Fish said:

Good grief. I've been running the risk of Long Drop Disease from about the Thursday onwards every year without realising it!

A lot of people do! Tbf I'm probably a bit tooooo anal about germs and stuff but it does feel nice to wash your hands with soap and water anyway.

14 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Equally, if you see someone dancing alone, invite them over to dance with your group. You inviting them over could absolutely make their Glastonbury. 

Not dancing but standing on my own at the cider bus in 97 and feeling a bit lonely. A group nearby were having a real laugh and seeing me looking a bit forlorn dragged me into the group. Shared a cider or two and a couple of smokes and went to watch Radiohead buzzing. One of the best nights ever at G.

21 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Sometimes it pays to make friends with people sitting on their own too. Went and spoke to one bloke who was sitting all alone at Bestival last year, he was working the fest and was there solo so invited him to tag along with our group for the night if he fancied it, he loved it and thanked us constantly, plus it turned out he was a supervisor at one of the bars and told us to come find him the next few days and he'd slip us some extras for free. Top bloke he was.

Indeed! I helped them get tickets this year as a thank you 

Empty mint tins are also great portable ash trays! 

Having been to several festivals in australia now where the sites are left in absolutely immaculate condition (a recent one being zero waste, take your bin bags home!) it makes you realise just how easy it is if everyone makes the effort. It seems here that littering is so looked down upon that you'd be out of place doing it at a festival. I'd love for this to one day be the norm at glastonbury too :)

4 minutes ago, eviepeach said:

It needs to be soap and water. I usually decant some into a travel size bottle and take it round with me. 

What would happen if you mixed some soap in with the alcohol gel? I like the fact that the gel evaporates on your hands, would mixing some soap into this mixture do anything to help?

15 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

What would happen if you mixed some soap in with the alcohol gel? I like the fact that the gel evaporates on your hands, would mixing some soap into this mixture do anything to help?

You mean mix it and not wash your hands after like you would with alcohol gel? I'm not sure it'd evaporate like alcohol gel does. Putting soap on your hands and not washing off properly makes your hands feel pretty horrible!

Saw an older gentleman slip in the mud, carrying all his things coming in Wedneday morning.

I was quite surprised to see noone give him a hand, and it's one of those things I can't stand seeing older people take a tumble.

Carried most of his things down to his camp site, and then returned to his car to collect the rest.

Lovely guy, we went to the cider bus once he was set up.

Just give people a hand if they are struggling with arrival, we all know it can be quite tough in conditions like last year.

Also, make the most of efests with the car share thread, can save alot of hassle for people living close by and you never know, you could make some great friends!

Edited by joeltg