Little things to make the festival better for others

stuartbert two hats

I've been thinking a lot about the tiny little things you can do to bring a smile to others, or just make their festival a little bit better in some minor way. If we all do some little things, then we can really improve the festival.

One example is at the hand washing sinks. You know how they go off immediately and you spend ages pressing it with one hand and trying to keep enough water in your other hand to rub them together? Rubbish isn't it? Well I was struggling to wash my hands in this stop starty way and thought all I needed was someone to hold the tap down for me. So, once I finished washing, I turned to the woman behind me and offered to hold the tap down for her so she could wash her hands faff-free. After a moment of surprise, she gratefully accepted washed her hands without hassle. But the best part is, as I walked off, I she was holding down the taps for the next person behind her. She was paying it forward and my small act of kindness had a multiplier effect.

It got me thinking about what other tiny little things we could do to make things better and I've not come up with a lot, hopefully you lot will have more ideas. This is what I've got:

* The tap thing, as above.

* When sitting down at W Holts, take a bin bag and chuck a few things in it, then stick them into a bin as you leave.

* Wear something unusual. Dress up as Bananaman, or wear loads of LEDs or a big fuck off mohican or a couple of hats. It doesn't matter if some people think it's silly. More people will smile. 

* Give out some stuff to randoms. Glowsticks, flamingos, Rainbow glasses, anything.

* Offer your booze to your neighbours on arrival.

There's got to be loads and loads more of this kind of thing we can do. Over to you eFests.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Decapitalisation

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old tap thing goes on a lot at the Hitchin Hill long drops! Always gets smiles from the person you help / helps you!

I'm definitely in favour of picking up at least one piece of rubbish in addition to your own - if more people did that it might keep things a bit nicer during the day time when the pickers aren't out.

Helping people who were lodged in the mud and had lost wellies was also a nice way to give something for free last year!

With you on the glow sticks thing, I always buy loads on the intention of handing them out.... static people in crowds have been known to move once glow stick in hand

i have a little dispenser of liquid soap which I'll share at the sink too

If you see someone sitting alone, looking worried. Sit next to them and ask if they are ok. Even if they say they're fine they'll remember you tried to help them. 

Equally, if you see someone dancing alone, invite them over to dance with your group. You inviting them over could absolutely make their Glastonbury. 

Come the Sunday night and all the handwash pumps have ran out, if you carry Hand sanitiser give others a free squirt and a smile. Last 2 years Ive made a pseudo comedy act out of it. DJ Cucumber. Told em I was playing silver Hayes. Some daft sods fell for it until Mrs dragged me away cos they wanted to see up me kilt. 

8 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

If you see someone sitting alone, looking worried. Sit next to them and ask if they are ok. Even if they say they're fine they'll remember you tried to help them. 

Equally, if you see someone dancing alone, invite them over to dance with your group. You inviting them over could absolutely make their Glastonbury. 

Equally equally, be that first person to start dancing alone. Doing that could encourage everyone else to start dancing and really make everyone's Glastonbury.

It is usually true that if you need something at a certain point because of circumstances, there'll be strangers around that are in the same boat so there's usually something in that. Like if you crack out the wet wipes after a cup of piss has just flown overhead. Stuff like that.

React with crazy abandonment when the band you're watching play their big hits, everyone thinks you're mad but at the same time it's makes them laugh

As mentioned, dress up as wildly as you dare (That's one of my most vivid recollections of the first Glastonbury I went to), and praise others who have made the effort

Be very praiseworthy of the people who work hard to make the festival tick, like the Oxfam volunteers, the bar staff, the police (Controversial? I reckon they do a great job)

Always do the tap thing myself too, not only does it help the person behind but it also helps the queue to move faster. Share sanitizer at the longdrops too.

Once I'm pitched I always hand a couple of cans out to neighbours and I offer at least one person a hand putting their tent up before I go a wandering.

If I'm bimbling and see the pickers out I will ask for a bag and spend 15 mins helping out, or however long it takes to fill it.

Share your magnificent vodka infusions with others - at the front of earth wind and fire I made some lovely dancing buddies over palma violet vodka (and they shared their 'extreme pimms' with us).

This year I have been thinking about bringing bags of those massive marshmallows from Tiger and sharing them around camp fires that I come across. Everybody loves a toasted Marshmallow.

43 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

Dont shit on the seat or the walls in the toilets.

I'd say don't piss on either as well but that might be too much to ask from you animals

If you're a bloke don't use the long drops for a piss maybe?

2 minutes ago, Flysheet said:

If you're a bloke don't use the long drops for a piss maybe?

Or if you do then eyes down please gentlemen. Us ladies do not want to make accidental eye contact while you have your hand on your penis.

Just smile and be nice to people. Same as normal life

Just now, Heather90 said:

Or if you do then eyes down please gentlemen. Us ladies do not want to make accidental eye contact while you have your hand on your penis.

#Awkward

4 minutes ago, evilduck said:

I take liquid hand soap in a little bottle for the taps, and I always share it out. People are so grateful to use actual soap!

Bringing liquid soap is actually a great tip. You can only use alcohol gel for 8 times (without washing your hands properly in between) before it stops working. (I'm a nurse and it's been drummed into my head countless times from years of infection control teachings!)

A nice chap did the tap thing for me last year, it was very much appreciated, great to give my hands a proper scrub.

We helped a couple find a spot/carry their stuff last year on the Wednesday. We saw them again by a bar on the Friday and she was almost in tears re Brexit, I gave her some words of encouragement about being in the best place, and some  other drunken ramblings that sounded good at the time.

I always offer a steward some sweets or a snack, if I see one looking a bit cold or tired.  During a damp night shift at Booomtown a lovely lad offered me a slice of his pizza and I'm welling up now thinking about how amazing it tasted, and how incredibly kind in was of him.  That was the best pizza I've ever eaten.

I always smile if I make eye contact with anyone (sounds obvious I know) but it can be encouraging if the other person is feeling sad/lonely etc.