Crew Bars

marathonsteve

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

I never knew such things existed! Posh loo & fine ale sounds lovely so If I'm on site from the Sunday is there a chance of getting in some of these crew bars, up to Tuesday night? If so which ones? 

They tend to have different opening hours so even the Bread and Roses will only be open for a few hours on the Sunday but by Tuesday { shot was taken on the Tuesday } will open 6pm until late 

so just go with the flow.

2011-wbc-20.jpg

5 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

They tend to have different opening hours so even the Bread and Roses will only be open for a few hours on the Sunday but by Tuesday { shot was taken on the Tuesday } will open 6pm until late 

so just go with the flow.

2011-wbc-20.jpg

Thank you kindly ! 

I accidentally ended up in a crew bar somewhere near The Common in 2015. I say 'accidentally' because I was lost and happened upon a turning somewhere guarded by a lone steward who asked me to show my wristband. I showed him my general entry one and he barely looked at it and let me through. I knew I was off track when the crowd reduced but ploughed on regardless. Eventually I came to a little bar which was obviously crew because it wasn't as expensive and wasn't crowded. It also wasn't very good. It felt like missing out. I had a drink or two then moved on. 

I get that crew will appreciate (and deserve) their own spots but exclusivity doesn't relate to quality. 

My first Glastonbury two lads who were DJ's gave me a backstage wristband for Silver Hayes area (nice lads, appreciated whoever you are) and I got fair excited by the idea of it until I actually decided to go down, I ended up having a shite in peace (godsend) and buying a pint then leaving only to return for further shites.

Gotta be something better to do than sit in a bar regardless of how exclusive it may or may not be.

43 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I get that crew will appreciate (and deserve) their own spots but exclusivity doesn't relate to quality. 

27 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Gotta be something better to do than sit in a bar regardless of how exclusive it may or may not be.

Couldn't agree more.  A few years ago, I worked in what was either a clever piece of performance art or a shameless scam which exposed how festival goers turn into brain-dead zombies in their search for 'exclusivity.'  I'll say no more than that as I heard a rumour it might be appearing at Glastonbury, and I don't want to ruin it.

My crew-bar is a canteen with beer in the corner - only fit for grabbing a cheap pint on your way out to do something more interesting.  However, with regards to Wally's crew bar, that was just quality: huge fire pit, plenty of seating, a breath-taking array of booze at cheap pub prices and always rammed with people having a very good time.  If it was in the public area, it would be the number one bar on site.  The place won't be the same without it.

I've been lucky enough to get given wristbands by people I know that work at the festival, the T&C backstage area was always brilliant, great bar, amazing food at cheap prices, and WiFi! Don't see that guy so much anymore, so sadly no longer get access to that area. Still, plenty to do at the festival that isn't a crew bar :)

I was on site from Sunday last year and got passes for a few crew bars which I visited both before the public arrived and after.  Favourite was the acoustic bar and one in Block 9.Handy for quicker service and loos.

1 hour ago, dondo said:

I was on site from Sunday last year and got passes for a few crew bars which I visited both before the public arrived and after.  Favourite was the acoustic bar and one in Block 9.Handy for quicker service and loos.

How do you go about getting passes for crew bars, other than your own?

Crew need their own bars and hangouts.  Work is work and relaxation is relaxation, and even though the lines get very blurry at Glastonbury, this is still the case.  There's a very different energy to going out and having a bimble, a beer, or a rave in the hustle and bustle of the festival and kicking back with your colleagues and unwinding.

Crew at Glastonbury live on site, some of them for weeks, so the bars form a basic service.  Add in that many people come from a bar/entertainment/live music background, and you can see why they would need a bit of entertaining while off-duty.

The bars range from the very mundane to the (a few) exceptional, and they tend to reflect the areas they are in as you might expect I suppose.

If you're not crew don't spend your time blagging entrance to these places.   Trust me, it's really not worth it.  You're at the best and most diversely facilitated festival ever - you really don't need to tick another little hang-out off your list; and most importantly it does start to erode trust, make everybody have to up their security, and generally mash the vibe.

1 hour ago, mr gumby said:

2 hours ago, Wanderlei said:

Can a Recycling Crew wristband get you into any of the crew bars around the site? (other than Tom's Bar, obviously)

The trick is to visit before Wednesday { 21/6 } morning when its possible to wander most places without any restrictions.

Once you enter a Bar - have a word with someone behind the bar - most will issue a separate pass - once the gates are open to the public your separate pass will get you back into that area.

They are all over the place so half the problem is finding them.

When you are on a wander be sure to have a look at the Interstage area of the Pyramid/Other Stage although its not as interesting as it used to be.

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

The trick is to visit before Wednesday { 21/6 } morning when its possible to wander most places without any restrictions.

Once you enter a Bar - have a word with someone behind the bar - most will issue a separate pass - once the gates are open to the public your separate pass will get you back into that area.

They are all over the place so half the problem is finding them.

When you are on a wander be sure to have a look at the Interstage area of the Pyramid/Other Stage although its not as interesting as it used to be.

Cheers, GW. I've only once worked before, and although I visited a few bars, didn't get any passes. Once Wednesday arrived, I guessed access would be limited, so didn't waste time trying. I'll give that a go this time :)

2 hours ago, mr gumby said:

Cheers, GW. I've only once worked before, and although I visited a few bars, didn't get any passes. Once Wednesday arrived, I guessed access would be limited, so didn't waste time trying. I'll give that a go this time :)

Our crew coach gets there on the Tuesday and by the time all the red tape is sorted and we get the tents up its close to 4.30pm which only allows a wander to the Bread and Roses for a quick drink and then back to the Crew Bar to get ready for that nights party { as we are running that bar that night } so we don't have time to check out the other bars that are open but I do know others who have had the time to visit a few as they don't start until the Wednesday and some don't event start until the Thursday - I know that passes { they tend to be a paper wristband } are there for the asking but you need to ask.None of my current Team has ever worked in the Interstage area so I took them in to have a look but I have worked there loads of times but at least they can claim they have stood backstage of the Pyramid stage. Hook up with a few others who know where they are as it saves a lot of wasting time and just go with the flow.

On 5/14/2017 at 10:32 PM, mr gumby said:

I went to the bars initially on the Monday and Tuesday nights and just asked for a pass- I also got one from another person on the recycling crew.

Most are pretty cool with you asking- 1 got a bit funny about it.

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:44 PM, pie_and_a_pint said:

I do like a quick wee in the Acoustic backstage bar. Lovely clean loos (much better than the always-slightly-grimy longdrops at the bottom of the field)

What is the name of this. Acoustic is my favourite area. Loved the bar behind Bez's unfairground last time (2015) when working for Oxfam. Thanks