Glastonbury Mental Health

liamium

On 5/29/2017 at 5:12 AM, The Red Telephone said:

My mental health is "all over the place" at the moment. Currently think that I'm going to struggle being there for any amount if time before I start thinking about my ex and become maudlin. I've had so many wonderful offers for places and people to camp with and to meet up with for beers, but my current mindset is that of not wanting to buzzkill anyone else and doing it solo. And whether I can cope with that.

hush that mouth ,  this is how you feel now, you don't know how you will feel while dancing watching Justice on Sunday night with your new friends.

but you do know how you will feel in a years time if you didn't go to Glastonbury,  you would be thinking "I am such a silly fuck ,, gutted I didn't go"

you could have met me ... I am the biggest silliest fuck of them all 

It's true @scaryclaireyfairy, I am quite wise. Kind of a big deal really :)

Sorry it didn't go the best for you Guy old son, but sounds like you got a handle on it.  Up and at it for the next one.

Had a major meltdown yesterday, luckily it came at the tail end of the day and I'd been in the office since 7.30 so I could scoot off without it being a problem.  Held it together until I got home then flood gates opened.  Not a pretty sight.  My stress / anxiety levels are just so high now I don't have the capacity to handle anything coming in, no resilience!  Really hoping that 2 weeks in the sunshine and then a week at Glastonbury will help me start bringing it all back down to a sensible base level. Luckily I have a supportive boss and a bloody good wife :P

Funny thing is that I took this stress test thing at work last week (results obviously not good) and at least one person thought it was just the way I'd answered it as I'm obviously not a stressed kind of guy.  Just goes to show that @shuttlep's right, you see the smiles but not always what's behind them.

• Upvote 2

this will be my first glastonbury medicated (if I get the voluntary gig I went for - should find out today so I'm anxious as hell), which will make a dramatic change from previous years.

Part of me is looking forward to it and isn't going to miss the naughty stuff that much, however part of me is wondering how I'm going to get through all that raving without a bit of chemical assistance! 

That said, it means on dodging the comedowns, which have become horrendous as time as gone on.

As far as my mental health is concerned, it's a right kick in the tits if I'm going through a low patch in Glastonbury.  There's so much going on and fun to be had, but sometimes my brain just don't want to play, which frustrates me and gets me into a vicious cycle of self loathing.  I can be snapped out of it, but also put right back in there over the most little, trivial things.

Though this year, with my mental safety net that is sertraline, I'm hoping to avoid it.

I'm more than likely going to be working in the Green Futures field, running a charity stall.  If anybody ever needs time out to sit down, stop by my stall for tea, chat and possibly mini golf.

D.

2 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I'm more than likely going to be working in the Green Futures field, running a charity stall.  If anybody ever needs time out to sit down, stop by my stall for tea, chat and possibly mini golf.

Is there anything in the world more stressful than minigolf?! :lol:

Fingers crossed you get the volunteer gig!

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Is there anything in the world more stressful than minigolf?! :lol:

Fingers crossed you get the volunteer gig!

Well I might be designed the course, so it will be as difficult as my carpentry skills allow (so pretty easy then).

Thanks, I'm expecting to hear back either today or tomorrow.   I don't know whether I can get excited or give up hope completely.  I promised myself I wouldn't go on here until I knew for certain that I would be going or not, but the allure of the weather thread tempted me back for the rollercoaster of emotions that is the build up!

5 hours ago, liamium said:

It sounds as though some of what made you especially anxious was well out of your control there. I'm sorry you had a less than great one. Relieved of the pressures of parenthood and bumping into people you don't necessarily want to spend much time with, I'm sure your next one will bring the peace! :)

Cheers old son.. My next festival is ON THE BUS.. And is my sons festival. Check it out it's great. At least I know I will know everyone at this one lol 

I'm building myself up for Glastonbury.. It will be sunny and it will be OK 

Thanks though....  people who suffer from depression, anxiety and panic attacks always think they are alone..

I did 6 months of CBT and I'm now doing an intense course in a pain clinic which also deals with the above and one of the best things I have kept In my head is if you feel like you're feeling a bit.. Shall we say out of place.... Look around you and there WILL be people feeling the same... You just can't see them.. 

You are not alone always remember that.. It helped me last Glastonbury when I nearly lost it in the JP stage field near the bar...... 

Peace and gin 

• Upvote 2

On 13/05/2017 at 1:22 PM, LifeBegins@What??? said:

I'm also glad this forum has popped up as i have been on mirtazapine for 9 yrs on and off as hate the side effects( hangover feeling every morning and eating loads) i get from them. So the other day i visit doc again and moan about the side affects again and they listened to me this time and now weening me of these tablets to start a new dose with venlafaxine. Has any one had these and will i get same kind of side effects as this makes me feel more low than not taking the meds.. 

Thinking mayb not start new meds till after glastonbury. My biggest anxiety at mo is the travelling on coach for 6hrs. But keep telling myself alls good as got my daughter with me. When we get to the festival it will be 100% better make friends and go and enjoy our self..

I had to give up mirtazapine as the sugar cravings and inability to wake up were bad but it also didn't really work for my last depressive episode. I switched to venlafaxine (up to 300mg to get on top of things) with real success. Now my sleep isn't great and my mind is always racing, but the anxiety has gone on a maintenance dose. 

I agree with most here, glasto is the best place to be. 

On 29 May 2017 at 11:13 PM, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Stop it right now! :P By thinking you'll be captain buzzkill you're assuming the people who want to share their festival with you won't have the capacity to listen, give you a hug or an arm squeeze if they see you struggling or simply cheer you up a bit in general.  Just play every hour as it comes.  Like Quark said, you can always leave but you'll never know unless you go.

Very well said.  

:)

Also, people who don't suffer from anxiety will sometimes feel the need to chill out or hide inside the cabaret tent (I like that idea). Everyone will have low points, feel sad, tired etc.  

Glstonbury isn't just a place to party it is a place to relax and reflect.

It will be June tomorrow.

I hope you all have a brilliant festival and manage your anxiety as best you can xx

9 hours ago, bsolxiv said:

I had to give up mirtazapine as the sugar cravings and inability to wake up were bad but it also didn't really work for my last depressive episode. I switched to venlafaxine (up to 300mg to get on top of things) with real success. Now my sleep isn't great and my mind is always racing, but the anxiety has gone on a maintenance dose. 

I agree with most here, glasto is the best place to be. 

Thanks for the info.. Think i will defiantly start them after glasto then ( as can't remember where i put them as being weened off the mirtazapine.. Again ).. And 300mg sounds alot. Was only on 45mg mirtazapine. But i will give them a try to see how i get on with them..

19 minutes ago, LifeBegins@What??? said:

Thanks for the info.. Think i will defiantly start them after glasto then ( as can't remember where i put them as being weened off the mirtazapine.. Again ).. And 300mg sounds alot. Was only on 45mg mirtazapine. But i will give them a try to see how i get on with them..

I ended up seeing a psychiatrist for "medication management " as I had been off work for months. Best thing I ever did. Had been on sertraline then mirtazapime then duloxetine before she put me on venlafaxine. Don't be worried about high doses, sometimes you just need a bit extra to get in control before you bring it down. There's also things like promethazine (an antihistamine) that can help with sleep in the short term. 

• Upvote 1

My anxiety through the roof at the moment, meaning I'm generally in bitch mode, waiting for scan results. Always makes me on edge, once I know what I'm dealing with then I'm OK - good or bad. Normally done really quickly but 2 weeks today and my Macmillan nurse on hol, and she would normally ring rather than keep me hanging. Plus got hacking cough causing sleep problems.

Reading Ruby wax's book on mindfulness, haven't started the exercises yet but she does make sense - normally she irritates the heck out of me.

On 6/1/2017 at 8:43 AM, slash's hat said:

My anxiety through the roof at the moment, meaning I'm generally in bitch mode, waiting for scan results. Always makes me on edge, once I know what I'm dealing with then I'm OK - good or bad. Normally done really quickly but 2 weeks today and my Macmillan nurse on hol, and she would normally ring rather than keep me hanging. Plus got hacking cough causing sleep problems.

Reading Ruby wax's book on mindfulness, haven't started the exercises yet but she does make sense - normally she irritates the heck out of me.

hang on in there and roll with the on-edginess, i think you're perfectly entitled to it given the situation. hope the book works out for you and you can take some good stuff away from it :)

extra security measures are a double edged sword.

checks and searches put us at ease - the thought that a closer eye is being paid to who's bringing what in helps but the prospect of more time spent in crowded queues you can't really leave is worrying.

in a real mess this past fortnight with the anxiety and struggling to keep the physical symptoms of it down. i think i'm gonna have to change my travels plans and arrive much later on Wednesday to avoid the worst of it. 

I'm perturbed at the thought of being stuck in the queue for even longer too.  The cattle pen bit especially.  I always have to zone out during that and just focus on following my mate.  Though I have a trolley this year which means I should always have breathing room if I stand facing it. 

9 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Maybe worth arriving later on Wednesday when the queues have diminished somewhat rather than risking an episode when you've nowhere to escape? 

I have no idea, just a suggestion. 

I know.  Sadly we just can't.  We have a 400-odd mile journey so it's quicker doing it overnight.  Not to mention there are kids in our convoy and they're easier to amuse during awake hours in a queue rather than a car!  My issues (rightly) aren't top of this pile so I'm working out strategies.  The Z pens are the main problem cos anywhere else I can just leave my kit with my mates and take a walk.  I might take my iPod so I can distract myself in any bad bits. I don't usually take anything I don't want to lose but this might be the exception.

hi  everyone, been following this thread every now and then. It is so lovely seeing a place for everyone to share :wub: 

I've suffered with anxiety and depression and symptoms of depersonalisation for a few years. Unfortunately stress of university has really exasperated my situation this year and had been dealing with some passive suicidal thoughts a few months ago. sorry if this has been discussed on here, but do you guys have an advice to help stop negative thought patterns whilst at the festival? my university has helped me alot in granting me extensions until August for my work, but now i fear that, while at Glastonbury i will slip into thinking and worrying about the fact i may fail and the amount i have to do etc. 
I was in a similar position last year, and i don't really remember most of festival, its all very cloudy and patchy i think due to the stress i was under, where as in 2015 it was the most vivid brilliant experience. 

Sorry if this post is a little bit patchy, but yes just wanted to join you all and ask if you have any advice :)

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Jne___ said:

hi  everyone, been following this thread every now and then. It is so lovely seeing a place for everyone to share :wub: 

I've suffered with anxiety and depression and symptoms of depersonalisation for a few years. Unfortunately stress of university has really exasperated my situation this year and had been dealing with some passive suicidal thoughts a few months ago. sorry if this has been discussed on here, but do you guys have an advice to help stop negative thought patterns whilst at the festival? my university has helped me alot in granting me extensions until August for my work, but now i fear that, while at Glastonbury i will slip into thinking and worrying about the fact i may fail and the amount i have to do etc. 
I was in a similar position last year, and i don't really remember most of festival, its all very cloudy and patchy i think due to the stress i was under, where as in 2015 it was the most vivid brilliant experience. 

Sorry if this post is a little bit patchy, but yes just wanted to join you all and ask if you have any advice :)

https://mrsmindfulness.com/the-four-keys-to-overcoming-negative-thinkingfor-good/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2016/05/09/13-coaches-explain-how-to-overcome-negative-thought-patterns/

Could try giving these a go, not much time perhaps to change, but having an awareness may be of help. Samaritans are on site so perhaps just familiarise yourself with where they are. Let your friends know so they can help if you're comfortable with that. A few pages up there was an offer of exchanging numbers with people on here who are more than willing to see you through any bad patch. Go easy on yourself x

5 hours ago, slash's hat said:

https://mrsmindfulness.com/the-four-keys-to-overcoming-negative-thinkingfor-good/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2016/05/09/13-coaches-explain-how-to-overcome-negative-thought-patterns/

Could try giving these a go, not much time perhaps to change, but having an awareness may be of help. Samaritans are on site so perhaps just familiarise yourself with where they are. Let your friends know so they can help if you're comfortable with that. A few pages up there was an offer of exchanging numbers with people on here who are more than willing to see you through any bad patch. Go easy on yourself x

Thanks very much for this. Mindfulness and meditation have been a  great help to me these past few months, hoping to head to Ruby Wax's talk clashes permitting. I think over the next week or so I will work on being more accepting of my position. :) have a great fest x 

Hi everyone :)

I understand some people are feeling a bit edgy about the prospect of large queues caused by extra security measures. I'm working on the recycling crew this year, and arriving on the Monday before gates open. I imagine the security and gate teams will be fairly tight-lipped about details, and of course I wouldn't want to advertise important info on a public forum, but if I can get a rough idea of how long the waiting times are likely to be, I'll let you all know. I'll also be heading out to the car parks to meet my wife on the Wednesday, probably late morning, so I'll check how big the queues are, and update you if I can.

Just renewed my script for beta blockers which will keep my anxiety in check on the long drive down and back. Probably take a few if I find myself over thinking social gatherings. Whilst I'm on my own this year I am expecting to meet up with a few groups of 'facebook friends' and can get a bit self conscious in these situations. The beta blockers seem to keep me calm, relaxed and I enjoy good conversation with people. Again, for the anxiety sufferers, don't be surprised if it's the day after a skinfull that you find yourself panicking. Drink and anxiety the next day go hand in hand for me so I'm aiming to have a few, eat regularly to level it out, and avoid the herb as that's instant panic sadly.